10/14 Bama Kitty AMPS 314 +2.75 288 +5 223; PMPS 173 +1 220 +2 253

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Bama Kitty Mom (GA), Oct 14, 2021.

1. Bama Kitty Mom (GA)

Bama Kitty Mom (GA) Well-Known Member

2. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I hope Bama Kitty eats for you today. Sending prayers. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Bama Kitty Mom (GA) likes this.
  3. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

I’m sorry. Any idea what’s going on?

4. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

I hope Bama starts to eat some of his wet food . You forgot to put today's date in your title for today :cat:

5. Bama Kitty Mom (GA)

He had a small poop overnight but strained without producing this morning. That may be part of the issue. Three days ago, I think it was, he did not eat well either. That meal I tried giving an Ondansetron in a pill pocket which he bit through and tasted the bitterness which caused him to throw up. This was before he had really eaten anything for his PM meal so in addition to whatever of the pill he may have swallowed, he threw up some foamy, mucous-like fluid. I started to give him 1/4 of a Pepcid but given that it tastes bitter as well, I held off and offered him first some pumpkin which he ate then some other food. I decided to hold off on the favor [Salmon pate] he had refused along with the psyllium husk powder for a few days. Today, I offered the Turkey & Giblets [which he normally likes] that he didn't finish last night [he normally eats 1/2 of 3 oz can] plus 1t pumpkin and he only ate a small portion. Overnight he ate his dry food snacks [Dr. Elsey's Salmon & Chicken kibble] just fine. So, I don't know. I was thinking if I give him the Pepcid, I'll enclose it in a #5 capsule so he doesn't taste it.

Some thoughts here. He's had some vomits of mostly liquid with small amount of hair that I first attributed to hairballs but I'm also thinking it may have an acidy stomach. Thus I've been giving the frequent snacks in between meals. It's all trial and error. It doesn't help that the grocery stores have limited supplies of pet food in general and his store brand in particular. He also tends to get tired or start refusing to eat a flavor after a while. He doesn't like the fish flavors but does eat the chicken, turkey & giblets and up until recently the salmon. When I fed him the Tiny Tiger brand I found on Chewy, he ate that through much of the pandemic but slowly started refusing first the salmon then the other flavors.

6. Bama Kitty Mom (GA)

Thanks, Diane. I blame recent lack of sleep for forgetting to put in the date, although I did sleep well last night. It just hasn't recovered the missing part of my brain that deals with dates. :facepalm:

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  7. Bama Kitty Mom (GA)

Bama ate better at his pmps meal. Plan to take +1 and +2 readings to see if he's rising or sinking. Chances are he's near the end of his yellow/blues run.

Sushi likes this.
  8. Bama Kitty Mom (GA)

With a better than 40 point jump since pmps, I'm thinking he is headed skyward but will still take a +2 to see where he is. Hope I'm not waving at him as he floats toward the stratosphere. :eek:

9. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Nice PMPS tonight Gina, I hope Bama surfs safely and you start to see more blues and some greens , he's adorable. I'm glad he ate better tonight :bighug::cat:

10. Suzanne & Darcy

If you don't have the Ondansetron mini melts (orally dissolving tablets) then I would put them in the gelcaps. You already have some on hand since you said you'd put the pepcid in there. I'd definitely do the Pepcid because of the liquid vomits. And constipation can definitely take his appetite away. It may be time to add in something like Lactulose which is an Rx as you probably know.

11. Bama Kitty Mom (GA)

I have some Lax'aire that I got from Chewy in my order last week. I have never given it to Bama but got it on the recommendation of @Pamela & Amethyst. I will break it out tomorrow if no poop tonight.

Do the Ondansetron mini melts not taste bitter? Bama was definitely doing the foaming at the mouth thing the other night when he bit into the hard pill. I can only imagine what he would do if I got the mini melt variety and it is as bitter as the hard pill. :nailbiting:

12. Suzanne & Darcy

I never had a hard time giving it to Darcy but I put it in the back of his throat with a pill shooter. But if poor Bama was foaming at the mouth, I would gelcap it. @Liz & Minnie you said you tried one before, right? What did you say it tasted like? I think I will try one tonight and report back. I’ll spit it out after I see what it tastes like. I think Liz mentioned a fruity flavor … but nasty

13. Pamela & Amethyst

Pamela & Amethyst Well-Known Member

Good Luck with the Lax Aire Amethyst and JoJo LOVE IT the lick all of it off their paws and they go about 24 hours later:cat::cat::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

14. Pamela & Amethyst

Pamela & Amethyst Well-Known Member

My thoughts on PUMPKIN IT CONSTIPATED Amethyst and JoJo badly:arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh:

15. Liz & Minnie

Liz & Minnie Well-Known Member

Yes, strawberry (I think) - though they didn't call them 'mini melts', not sure if there are different flavors? Just that kind of sweet trying to mask bitter medicine. But ondansetron has never made Minnie foam at the mouth, that's the cerenia. I get the half pill (soluble) into her mouth and as long as I can keep her sitting still with her mouth shut long enough, it eventually goes down - but it does take longer to dissolve than I expect! We've had more than one battle with me trying to get a half-dissolved pill back in her mouth which she spat out when I thought it was gone. But nowhere near as traumatic (for me at least) as the foaming. Good luck.

16. Suzanne & Darcy

Eeew! You may have just talked me out of trying it!

17. Suzanne & Darcy

Pumpkin is good if they’ll eat it. I heard today on the news that there’s a pumpkin shortage. I have a lot of freeze dried though. I bought four cans at the store. Enough for me to make a couple of pies and pumpkin bread.

18. Liz & Minnie

Liz & Minnie Well-Known Member

Lol, it's not that bad. Kind of reminds me of those old Flintstones children's chewable vitamins :)

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  19. Suzanne & Darcy

Hey. I remember those! It’s the B vitamins in there that taste so nasty.

20. Bama Kitty Mom (GA)

Oh no! Not another shortage. I actually eat pumpkin myself. Weird in a healthy way, ok? It's not too bad if you mix it with OJ concentrate or apple sauce and, of course, pumpkin spice! I eat it for the beta carotene/Vitamin A. Can't be too healthy these days! :woot:

21. Bama Kitty Mom (GA)

I may need to stop offering it and go back to the psyllium husk powder. I know that worked but it does change the consistency of the food and gives it a sort of stickiness. I tell Bama, "It's gravy, dear."

22. Suzanne & Darcy

I like pumpkin. I was just thinking about making a creamy pumpkin soup. I made a pumpkin lentil soup that was a hit with the family. I think the problem is, as with many things, transporting the pumpkin to the cannery and maybe also not enough workers. I learned that Illinois is said to be the “pumpkin capital” of the U.S.

23. Bama Kitty Mom (GA)

I read somewhere that the pumpkin in 100% pumpkin in the can is actually butternut squash. Don't have a source for this info as I don't remember where I read it. Thought it was interesting how things are not always what they seem nor are they what you are told. Butternut squash or pumpkin? Similar vegetables in nutrition and all but I'd still like for labels and information to be truthful. :)

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.