10/14 Chloe - AMPS 90 | PMPS 89

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Librarianista, Oct 14, 2021.

1. Librarianista

Librarianista Member

Yesterday: https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/10-13-chloe-amps-100-pmps-96-officially-ckd.254199/

Now the work begins to see if I can cut some of her favorite foods with the lower phosphorous stuff she doesn't like as much and try to get her used to them. Didn't each much overnight because I maybe went overboard with the pate and didn't put enough of the yummy stuff on top.

I'm so sorry about Bandit, Bhooma :bighug: I can only imagine what you're going through right now.

I have entered her latest labs. Both BUN and CREA are slightly down from her last visit, which was only a couple of weeks after I switched from Fancy Feast to Weruva. I did not leave with any prescriptions, but she eventually ate yesterday. She started going in on her breakfast around +6 and ate most of it before her appointment at +9. She also ate this morning, though she is suspicious that her mackerel tastes more chickeny than usual.

Bandit's Mom and Kathy and tiger like this.
  2. Katherine&Ruby

Katherine&Ruby Well-Known Member

I just looked at her labs, Alex, and her phosphorus levels look ok. We want them to be below 6 and she is well below that. Water is nature's dialysis, so the more water you can get into her food, the better she might feel, even if you aren't doing subQ fluids.

Eat your chicken, Chloe! :)

3. Librarianista

Librarianista Member

It was suggested I add water to her food, and she won't eat it if it's too wet. This picky cat! But at least she has no problem with her fountain.

Katherine&Ruby likes this.
  4. Tina Marie (GA) and Jan

Tina Marie (GA) and Jan Well-Known Member

Chloe's labs look better! Especially the phosphorus, since changing to Weruva . . . and the creatinine isn't bad. It's great you caught the CKD early enough to make the diet changes. And not to the prescription too-low protein (and hc too) food.
    Tina doesn't really love the Steak Frites (lowest phos Weruva) . . . I pull it out about once a week for a treat. On the Cat Wok (Truluxe) was a big fave, until I lowered the protein a bit more and went to the foods listed on the SS.

I need to update, because . . . I made my first batch of food (chicken) with Food Fur Life premix! Three of my 6 cats loved it, including Tina . . . especially Tina! I did lightly cook the chicken, so the cats would get used to the mix flavor, before I try raw. It feels so good to watch your kitty eating homemade food with gusto and appreciation.

Poor Tina went through the kidney diet food, lost muscle mass, and became diabetic. Just before that, she had I-131 treatment for hyperthyroidism (was overtreated). So I came to this forum.
    Now, at 16, two years later, her creatinine remains in low 3's (over 4 at one point about 2 years ago, and that is why we began subQ Lactated Ringers). I have varied the frequency of subQs; currently at every other day and she is doing great. Her doc saw her recently, and said she was doing so well, we'd wait until November to repeat blood work last done in May.

All that to say . . . CKD can be managed, and sometimes for a very long time. A nurse prepping me for cataract surgery, told me in Oct. 2019, that it sounded like it was time to let my cat go (needing fluids at home). I'd like to find that man again and show him how healthy my cat looks, and how she loves her life.

It is very hard to "outsmart" a cat. But don't give up, lol. Chicken-y mackerel, haha!

Librarianista likes this.
  5. Librarianista

Librarianista Member

I mentioned it on yesterday’s thread that I don’t really have storage space to do raw at the moment. That may be in our future. I know it can work really well.

Looking at Tina’s SS gives me hope that we can still go OTJ while dealing with CKD! I have not been able to find a good sitter, so I feel like any sort of vacation is just not in the cards for me until she goes into remission or passes. And boy, could I really use a break.

6. Librarianista

Librarianista Member

Nice to see green PS numbers again!

Didn’t seem interested in her dinner much the first hour, but she’s been back at the bowl a few times. She let out an awful howl earlier today (+9 maybe?) that usually means she’s about to vomit. But nothing came up. So I wonder if she has some nausea. Gave her some Cerenia just in case.

7. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Glad to see greens!

Do you have ondansetron? I'm sure.others have probably mentioned it before, but sometimes that works better if just nauseous vs vomiting.

8. Librarianista

Librarianista Member

No I don’t - just Cerenia. But she’s been eating throughout the evening so it must have worked.

FrostD likes this.