10/18 Bama Kitty AMPS 265 +2 271 +4 323; PMPS 384 +2.5 275 +4.5 265 +7 241

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Bama Kitty Mom (GA), Oct 18, 2021.

1. Bama Kitty Mom (GA)

Bama Kitty Mom (GA) Well-Known Member

carfurby (GA) likes this.
  2. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Nice start. I hope Bama Kitty slides down today.

Bama Kitty Mom (GA) likes this.
  3. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

I am very happy to read this about the hungry kitty! Did his appetite return after he was no longer constipated? What was the key to getting him pooping again?

Bama Kitty Mom (GA) likes this.
  4. Bama Kitty Mom (GA)

I think the appetite return is a combination of pooping and lower BG. I added back the psyllium husk powder but this time I mixed it with his pumpkin. I don't think he likes the tacky, sticky feeling it gives his wet food. By giving it separately with a little pumpkin and extra water, it doesn't affect the texture of his canned food and while it may not change the taste when it is in with the canned food, it may dampen or affect the smell and enticement factor. Who knows? I may be overthinking this. :)

5. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

How much psyllium husk are you adding? As little as 1/8th tsp may be enough.

Are you transitioning him from Dr. E's salmon flavour to the chicken one? Chicken is half the carbs (4%) of salmon. Woneder if that will help his numbers as well.
    He won't eat only wet?

6. Bama Kitty Mom (GA)

Today I gave less than 1/8 tsp of psyllium husk because I was mixing it with the pumpkin as I consider it a fiber source as well. He is still transitioning from Dr. E's salmon to chicken. Maybe up to half of each. I'm trying to give only the chicken kibble between his main meals so as to not impact his numbers. Generally he won't eat more than 1/2 of a 3 oz. can of wet food before he wants some dry. On occasion I can get him to eat the entire can. Sometimes if it is a brand new flavor or brand he will eat the entire can the first time he has it but it loses its appeal by the next time around.

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  7. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

Wait.... how are you doing this? The reason I ask is because I got some of that "It's Just" Psyllium husk too... (I think it was on your recommendation?) and my cats are NOT liking it in their formerly favorite canned food (Weruva PLAY BFF Chicken and Lamb Laugh Out Loud). This morning I went out for a bit and came home to pretty full bowls of uneaten food! So are you mixing it with canned pumpkin or freeze dried pumpkin and how are you getting him to eat it? I bet my cats won't eat it! They don't like the freeze dried pumpkin added to their food. :banghead::banghead:

8. Bama Kitty Mom (GA)

I add it to canned pumpkin with some warm water. Plus I worked up to it little by little, using just a few sprinkles at first then about a quarter of 1/8 tsp then about a half of 1/8 tsp while I got him used to it. Most I have used was 1/8 tsp which I used to mix into his canned food along with some warm water but I decided he must not like how it changed the texture of his food or maybe it reduced the enticing odor. I don't know. I just know he can be a pain about his food. He doesn't like chunks or flakes of meat. He'll lick the sauce off but leave the "meat". He'll eat more of it if I break down all the chunks. The exception is the Reveal tuna I fed him recently. It comes in flakes with sauce and he ate all of it, even licked his bowl clean. I've never seen the freeze dried pumpkin. I actually found out by mistake that he even liked pumpkin. I knocked a plastic bowl of it off the counter, sending pumpkin flying everywhere. I caught him licking pumpkin off the top of my shoe. :woot:

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.