10/20 Indie PMPS 178 +3 89...if she earned another reduction she is OTJ!

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Jessica & furbaby Indie, Oct 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jessica & furbaby Indie

Jessica & furbaby Indie Member

Is this accurate?? Do I officially not give her a shot tomorrow?? What are the ideal BG numbers when OTJ?

I am in disbelief right now.

2. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

After .25, you go to .1 units. You need to see much lower pre-shot numbers to even think about a trial. It's important to get the overall numbers all, or almost all green before starting a trial. Not doing so could result in a failed trial or very short remission, and it's harder to get them back to OTJ status the second time around.

From the SLGS sticky:
    Are you feeding a snack at +9? That can help bring the preshot numbers down.

Here is a great post to read to help you understand OTJ trials and remission: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...ng-reductions-and-starting-otj-trials.150160/

Keep in mind the "normal" numbers here are for a human meter, so on an AT would be higher, like 68-98.

3. Jessica & furbaby Indie

Thank you for this! I didn't think it seemed right.

Is there a picture somewhere of what 0.1 is? I didn't even think she really was getting any insulin at 0.25. Am worried I won't fill the syringe enough at 0.1.

And yes, she has access to HC food during the day when I am not home. Ugh. I so wish I could take a week off because I know she would be lower. If she goes down to 0.1 dose is there anyway she could go hypo? Or can I finally feel 100% safe to only let her eat her own food during the day?

4. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

I am not a expert but I have lurked and I think you push the syringe in and release to allow it to suck up the 0.1
    You don't actually "draw" any out but let me tag @Bobbie And Bubba
    she will know....

5. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Yes, scroll down on this sticky to see pictures and descriptions of micro doses: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...insulin-info-handling-drawing-fine-doses.151/

Calipers can help you with consistency in measuring, too.

6. Jessica & furbaby Indie

Thank you! I feel like the idiots at my job who don't take the time to look stuff up first and just ask me. I am so sorry I should have taken the time to review all the sticky notes!!

7. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Here's the picture of .1
    .1 unit.PNG

8. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

Don't feel bad..... there is so much info and after you have been here a while you know right where it is. I am here a year and sometime still ask:rolleyes:

9. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Um, I had to go looking for it, and I've been here more than 5 years! :oops: I knew it was here, just not where...

Hey, there's a TON of info in the notes. You can read them over and over and not absorb everything. That's what we're here for!

10. Gussie's mom (GA)

Gussie's mom (GA) Well-Known Member

That .1 is a real bear until you get used to drawing it! But the good news is that you do!!:)
    In my syringes it's actually a bit more than the vacuum method draws up...I've heard several descriptions of it..so I played with counting the drops and actually seeing what was in those doses in my syringes. Ultimately I settled on the method that was most consistent for me. I figured consistent was better to aim for..I drew up the amount I gave for the .25 and then rotated the plunger until it moved to as close to halfway to that zero line from the .25 as I could get. That's what worked for me, others may have better methods.
    Congrats to as they say, joining the micro dosing club!

11. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

In micro dosing, consistency is more important than accuracy.

12. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Hey, just got this post, I went to bed last night being signed in. Here's one tip I will give you and forgive me if someone else said it. When you go to give that sucked up drop, after inserting the needle in the skin hold the plunger in for a count of five or so and when you remove the needle from the skin, continue to hold the plunger in. I think it helps to get every last bit of the tiny tiny insulin you are delivering out of the syringe . I have noticed the times I didn't hold the plunger in while removing the needle, when I was done shooting, if I pushed the plunger in tight a tiny bit would be on the end of the needle.

ETA: This info is for the next micro dosing method not the .10 Sorry I got ahead. ( so excited for you!)

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
    Reason for edit: ETA
  13. Jerida and Caesar

Jerida and Caesar Member

c23_rah.gif c23_rah.gif Go Indie :D:D:D:DI'm a new member and I quickly found out I had lots of questions. I still do. Everyone is great here and will help you through it. I used iced tea and practiced this dose, I would draw it up and then shoot it out onto a plastic lid to see the size of the drop of insulin. I used different syringes to see if the dose was the same each time. I found it very helpful to use calipers to check my .10 dose just to be sure Caesar got the same dose each time. .10 is just a little more than that last I called it "some dose" where you just push in the syringe and let it suck in the insulin. Sending good vines and safe surfing. Hope to see you at the Falls Indie. :joyful:

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
  14. Camille and Cyclone

Camille and Cyclone Well-Known Member

To answer the other question - I think at a .10 dose there's no realistic chance of a hypo. Correct me if I'm wrong, everyone.

15. Doodles & Karen

Doodles & Karen Well-Known Member

Pretty sure that's part of the issue. Can you just leave LC out? While .1 is a tiny wee bit of insulin there is a chance Indie could drop below 68. Are you home over the weekend to get some more spot checks?

16. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

While I've never seen a cat have a symptomatic hypo at this dose, I have seen them drop below 50, so I suppose a hypo is still possible. Keep in mind, too, for the first couple of shots, there will also be some depot carryover.

Yes, there is a difference between .1 and "some", aka "a drop".

17. Jessica & furbaby Indie

Yes, I can definitely leave LC food out. I am home this weekend and definitely plan on spot checking. I will only give LC food and see what readings I get.

18. Jessica & furbaby Indie

Ooh am definitely going to do this!!! I know for certain am not being consistent because the syringes are tough and not smooth when they go up and down. So never get the exact amount I want. Like today am pretty sure she got 0.25.

I will research the calipers and where to get them. I see there is a sticky on it. I definitely need these! As I need to know for certain how much she is getting.

19. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

A lot of members here got their calipers at Harbor Frieght. Don't know if there is one in your area or not, but they are relatively inexpensive there.

20. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Have you tried running the plunger up and down to distribute the lubricant inside the barrel before you fill the syringe? That will help make it smoother.

21. Vegetable (GA)

Vegetable (GA) Member

Tutz was on .10 units for one cycle & decided she was going to go hypo on me. She didn't have any symptoms but she did drop below 50. On the other hand Vegetable tried .10 units & she did not go hypo. I think this is a good example of every cat is different.

22. Jessica & furbaby Indie

Yes, always do that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.