10/23 Curry and ? about RadCat Raw food

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Tena and Curry(GA), Oct 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tena and Curry(GA)

Tena and Curry(GA) Well-Known Member

Greeting LLers. Happy Sunday.

Curry is doing well. However she did give me a 153 this morning. What's up w/that missy? Retested and got a 62 3 hours later. She reminds me of Barbara's Tuffy who also goes high like this. I did give her some raw food last night Rad Cat Raw diet.....she inhaled it. It might have been more calories than what she typically eats and the carbs may have been slightly higher than the Merrick Turkey.

Thus my question: anyone here know the "as fed" values of the RadCat raw diet? I know there are other raw diets available but was curious about this one. They have it at one of the pet stores here so wouldn't have to pay for the shipping. She would get it first thing in the am and pm as I don't want to leave it out very long...30 min max. Its a bit pricey but the contents look similar to Feline Pride. Posted on Health but I don't think anyone is using this product. Will try and contact the company this week if know one here has the information.

Feral kitty update: She got adopted. Wooohooo. One of the nurses at work adopted her and is also getting another kitty from the Humane Society. They are both about the same age. On a side note, my other neighbor found a 4-5 week old kitten the other day. Its not from the same litter. Kittens are coming out of the woodwork here.

Civvie update: Biggest Loser......Uhhh, the bean not the cat. I tried again this past week to transition Sid to the canned food. Ugh. I did EVERYTHING except cartwheels or stand on my head. Tried different canned foods, dusting it will all sorts of stuff, pleading with her, telling her kitty jokes, sang to her, let her eat the food out of my hand....EVERYTHING. Houston we have a problem. She isstill eating the EVO dry but its so high in phosphorus. However, she is enjoying her pet door and the fact Curry can't use it since she doesn't have the special key to open it....a microchip. Will continue to try and transition Sid. Nothing to lose except my mind and everything to gain. Right?

Off to bike and then visit condos this afternoon during the football game. Go TEXANS!

[​IMG]

2. Linda for Weezer

Linda for Weezer Well-Known Member

Oh, for a high of 153!

Good work on adopting the kitten out! Another feral turns into someone's precious! Now the next one, and the next one...

Attached Files:

3. Christie & Willie (GA)

Christie & Willie (GA) Well-Known Member

Tena--

Looking at the ingredients, only the psyllium husk and maybe the kelp would be adding any potential carbs... if I were guessing, I'd say this is most likely under 5%. I like that the muscle protein in the chicken variety is dark meat. If I had this available locally, I'd definitely give it a try!

Good luck on transitioning Sid!! Is a phosphorus binder an option for you if wet just isn't in the cards?

4. mybuddybinks

mybuddybinks Well-Known Member

Hi, guys!!!

sounds like things are great your way...even with stubborn Sid...

:lol: :lol: Kittens coming out of the woodwork...

[​IMG]

5. Sherry & Zoe (GA)

Sherry & Zoe (GA) Well-Known Member

What a great update...Curry doing well, feral kitty has a home and Sid, well, Sid is being a kitty!

The Raw food sounds good....I may have to look for some to try with Zoe....

Have a great weekend!!

6. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

just stopped by to commiserate as well as encourage you to keep trying with sid. it took a looooooooong and very hard 4 months to get one of my civvies off of dry food. 5 years later and he'd still rather have kibble than wet food!

i can't help you with RadCat Raw. haven't seen it around here. do you happen to know the phos level in it?

7. Tena and Curry(GA)

Hey Jill,

I'm gonna be very persistent w/Sid.

I have your food chart bookmarked.....luv the fact you have the low carb/phos level foods listed. I had purchased the TC feline premix but then heard from Ann/tess that it was high in phos.

Here's the pdf.....

The phos level for the RadCat raw states:
    0.8 grams/100g
    ratio is 1.25
    chicken is 1.35
    turkey is 1.3
    lamb is .79

Attached Files:

8. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

thanks, tena! i don't feed alex a raw diet exclusively any more. her immune system is too compromised to handle it on a regular basis, but she loves it. most (including feline's pride) are simply way too high in phosphorus for my liking. however, i'm always on the lookout for a commercially prepared raw low in phos that i can give her once in awhile as a treat.

the low carb/lower phos list i've been putting together is pretty much limited to varieties alex will eat. when i was faced with surgery earlier this year it all of a sudden hit me... what would dh do if anything happened to me? i have all this stuff floating around in my head. i knew i had to start writing all of it down for him... not only specific foods, but combo meals, meds, supplements, and common remedies. eventually, i hope to get around to putting together a more comprehensive low carb/lower phos list.

9. Tena and Curry(GA)

Just tested Sid for the first time. She actually handled it pretty well for a skittish kitty. 3 pokes to get enough blood...Poor dear. 69 was her bg. Nice.

Attached Files:

10. Ann & Maggie11 (GA)

Ann & Maggie11 (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Tena, so nice to see a condo and see how well Curry is doing! I have brainfog today from lack of sleep and should know this, but is Sid diabetic, as you tested her? I'm so glad the feral kitty was adopted; Maggie is too! Take care.

11. Tena and Curry(GA)

Hey Ann....No Sid isn't diabetic but I was curious what she was at home. At the vet she had a 168 but that was after he tried numerous times to draw the blood from her neck and failed. Then he finally got it from her leg. I've never tested her but was a little curious since she is on the dreaded kibble.

12. Ann & Maggie11 (GA)

Ann & Maggie11 (GA) Well-Known Member

Oh I see, thanks Tena, so glad she's not diabetic. Good luck with the transition to wet for Sid. I know Maggie really misses kibble.

13. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

Have you tried offering Sid raw?

14. Tena and Curry(GA)

Hey Ann

Yes. Tried last night but she turned up her nose. Silly kitty.

She did eat a teeny weeny bit of cowboy cookout out of my hand today. Will continue with leaving out that food along with the kibble and try to reduce the kibble.

15. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

I tried to plug the number form that PDF into the calculator, but the chicken and turkey came out as over 100%. And my head is hurting from trying to figure out how to figure out their "__g/100g" to the "__g/100kcal"\ that we are used to seeing. @-) Especially since there are no calories given!

16. Tena and Curry(GA)

Thanks for trying to figure it out. I'm gonna give the owner a ring tomorrow.

17. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

Have you tried Better In the raw premix? The as fed info is right on the product info page. Is 224 mg of phosphorus in an approximate 124 gram serving size too high?

Alnutrin is another one you can use. It does't have any psyllium husk or other uncessary ingredients.There's a nutrient calculator on that web site.

18. Tena and Curry(GA)

Thank you so much. So using Jill's calc of 100 kcal serving it would be 186 for the phos. I think.

19. Georgia and Simon (GA)

Georgia and Simon (GA) Well-Known Member

Glad to hear the update on the feral kitty. Yay!!!

I just tried feeding Simon some commercial raw food (Primal raw) that I got at a specialty pet store. They offer a variety pack to try for free. Simon hated it. I was hoping it would be something he liked.

Fingers and paws crossed that Sid starts thinking that canned food is the best thing around.

20. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

Angela & Blackie & 3 Others Well-Known Member

Curry's looking marvelous! I love the updates on the civvie and the feral. I have no doubt that the feral will be well taken care of, and will live to a nice ripe old age.

Go RANGERS!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.