10/24 Lulu AMBG 90, +27 245, PMPS +30 286, +4 117, +6 49, +6.5 74, +7.5 70, +8.25 81, +9 72

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by PorkChop, Oct 23, 2020.

1. PorkChop

PorkChop Member

Yesterday
    Little Lulu is showing us a string of green. Will check at +18 and shoot if she's come up. Still considering the dose - thoughts anyone???

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I'd wait until +12 and see where she is then. I'd like to see what she can do with 24 hours without insulin.

PorkChop and Sue and Luci like this.
  3. Vyktors Mum

Vyktors Mum Well-Known Member

I was thinking shoot something at +18 if she is above 120-140 but not sure what o_O but @Wendy&Neko do you think we should not shoot regardless of where she is at +18? Or maybe just if she gets to yellow? Not that this is a defining factor but it will be easier to monitor late into the cycle if we do the +18 instead of waiting until PM.

But I’m thinking the 1.25U we were planning to try is still too high.

We’re also trying to find out from the prior vet if she was given steroids at some stage. When she first wasn’t well back with her supposedly forever home (the woman adopted her and her sister from a cat rescue) apparently the woman spent about $6K at a vet trying to get a diagnosis. You’d think with all that spent they would have done a pee test (though you never know) so possibly wasn’t diabetic at that stage and something in the treatment, i.e. steroids might have brought it on.

@Marje and Gracie hi Marje noticed you were on and thought I’d see if we could get your eyes on Lulu (Wendy may be asleep now). Lulu is not playing by the rules!

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
    Reason for edit: add tag
    PorkChop likes this.
  4. PorkChop

PorkChop Member

So I spoke with the Vet, No Steroids in Lulu's history. She was treated for cat flu with antibiotics and anti inflammatory meds at the first vet. the second vet diagnosed the diabetes and also given antibiotics.

5. Wendy&Neko

Tired but not asleep.;) Marje and I are just one hour apart, until the time change.

I see you've got a +27 and she's in the yellows already. That would argue for some insulin. Rather than play chase the dose, start low and work your way up? There's a couple reasons I don't like the 18 hour cycles. One is it's hard to figure out what sort of depot you are dealing with, so hard to know where to go on the dose. Second, you can impact more cycles than just skipping.

Have their been any ketones tests done lately? If so, could you put the results in the spreadsheet? I'm worried about past ketones and dropping the dose too much and it could be a factor on when to shoot again.

6. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Lulu sure is keeping you guessing. It will be interesting to see where she is at PMPS.

7. Vyktors Mum

No ketone tests done, we don’t know much about that part of her history but it seems like she might have had some when she was finally diagnosed but there were no reports of DKA. Ideally I would’ve liked to be testing for them but have been a bit less concerned as her numbers have come down, her appetite is good too. There are two kitties in the house so she’d need to stalk her to make sure she’s testing the right cat and they arrived pretty scared. Pity Rita didn’t have some strips handy this arvo though. She tried to put Lulu in a cat carrier to weigh her and the poor thing peed everywhere!

I am thinking along the lines of trying to give her as much insulin as we can for as long as we can with of course the top priority being to keep her safe. Bearing in mind the possibility of ketones we are going to go for the 18 hour cycles again today (unless she does a miraculous turn around). Though I know with the depot right, it’s pretty impossible to figure out right now, I’ve been trying on and off all day!

I’m leaning back towards 1.25U as I think it is still a safe call particularly when we’ll have the one 18 hr cycle tonight and tomorrow’s AM cycle (numbers permitting) to see if it looks like too much still and/or maybe she’s getting a long duration. If she keeps throwing us NS numbers maybe we will have to start again at the beginning - the way it should have been done in the first place. Though she must be getting pretty close to what her starting dose would be now lol.

In more lol, while Rita was chasing up medication details from the vet today she updated them on how Lulu was going. They were having heart attacks about shooting yellow numbers and tried telling her that 16/288 was a normal number! This from the vets that had her shooting 4U blind ...

Thanks so much Wendy, your advice is much appreciated :kiss: and hopefully you are actually asleep now :)

PorkChop likes this.
  8. Wendy&Neko

7PM my time, not quite yet. :p At least I'll be able to see the +6 before I hit the pillow.

Things to think about, if you need to lower the dose to get to 12 hours cycles, that would be preferable to having to skip. Lulu's body is not used to greens, you will see bouncing, until you don't.

Vyktors Mum likes this.
  9. Vyktors Mum

So do you think perhaps 1U might be the better option?

Teeheehee I guess 7pm is a little early to be going to bed

thebigfuzz likes this.
  10. Vyktors Mum

My thinking there is perhaps there is more chance of getting to the 12/12 more quickly and it sounds like that is more important than getting as much insulin in as we safely can right now. If it turns out not to be enough and we need to go up that’s fine we can go up pretty quickly following TR.

ETA - I just checked and under TR her starting dose would be 1U

PorkChop and thebigfuzz like this.
  11. Vyktors Mum

PMPS at +30 286, we’ve gone with 1U. Paws crossed this dose allows 12 hourly shooting and gets her depot settled :cat: and if it’s not asking too much Lulu we’d love to keep seeing greens :D

PorkChop and thebigfuzz like this.
  12. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Green is good! :D:D You can do it, Lulu.

Hi Serryn (It's 11:30 p.m. here). Hi @Wendy&Neko Is rowing still going on? Here snow is expected on Monday, but we're going to paddle anyway.

Vyktors Mum likes this.
  13. Wendy&Neko

Paws crossed 1 unit is the ticket. What her starting dose would have been and now aren't really related, but let's see how she does.

@Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Snow line was just a few hundred meters above us last night. :nailbiting: Some COVID friendly rowing still happening.

PorkChop and Vyktors Mum like this.
  14. Vyktors Mum

So Lulu has decided that 1U is still too much with a drop to 49 (we didn’t want you quite that green sweety) could this still be effects from the dry food wearing off? This is the fourth day since she’s had any. Also of note is that because of the 18 hr cycle she didn’t get a full meal with her shot just a small one. She’s getting most of her normal meal now (+6) along with a tsp of HC.

My dosing thoughts - If tomorrow’s AMPS is a green no shot, and slash off another half unit at the next shootable number for a new dose of .5U, if it’s blue or above take off .25 to take her dose down to .75 - your thoughts?

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
  15. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I think the dry food should be gone from her system by now. I'd skip if the AM number is green and see if she can stay green on her own. There is a chance the kibble was the only thing keeping her numbers high. I think I'd try 0.5 units if she's above green and see if she'll flatten out. The bouncing is making it hard to see what is really going on.

Vyktors Mum likes this.