? 10/30 Pufi AMPS 250, +2 201, +4 132, +6 137, +8 89 +10 78 PMPS 88 +12:30 87 +13 81

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Sanda Elena, Oct 30, 2019.

1. Sanda Elena

Sanda Elena Member

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/10-29-pufi-amps-385.221023/
    Hello everyone!
    I do not know wat's happening but everithing I thought I know about Pufi and his response to insuline is not accurate anymore. Since we return from our trip he started to see green numbers, already reduced his dose yestersay after a skiped shot and now we are under 90 again . In less than 48 h ! Of course that makes me happy but also a little worried. The only thing that is different is that suppliment called Diamel recommended at the vet office.

2. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Nice slide for Pufi today. I hope he keeps surfing safely.

Sanda Elena likes this.
  3. Sanda Elena

Sanda Elena Member

Now, according to SLGS a decrese is mandatory even he was 89. Would it be wise to hold the dose? I mean, I reduced yestraday morning , plus a skiped shot and I am affraid he will not respond well to such sudden changes. Any imput is highly appreciated

4. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

We Usually don't do back to back reductions.
    But looking at the numbers and the info on the SS, I think in this instance, you should probably take it down to 1.75u.

I'll give you my reasoning, he was on the vacation dose of 2u, you took the dose back up to 2.25u, and shot that once, that very cycle he earned the reduction. Since Lantus is a depot insulin and we don't usually see the result of the full dose until we have shot 6 cycles (this is why even on TR we don't usually increase any faster than every 6 cycles).
    My feeling is, that even if you had decided to shoot 2u, he might well have gone below 90 as well.
    Then you skipped and just 3 cycles into the 2u he is back below 90, that's pretty quick.
    All perhaps signs that the dose should be taken down.

Sometimes when we change dose frequently, so from 2 to 2.25, to skip to 2, numbers can get wonky, we can't tell if this might be happening, it's possible the reduction will not hold, but given SLGS and that we want to keep him safe I think I would reduce to 1.75.
    If you did hold the dose at 2 you would need to pay special attention as he might very quickly go back to earn his reduction again.

Are you able to test a little more over the next couple of days if you needed to?
    He just eats wet Low carb food?

He may well bounce and hit the pinks by pmps tonight, even if you decide to take the dose down. If he is pink by the next shot there is a technique that we call, 'shooting through the bounce' So you would hold onto the dose for one more shot and then take him down to 1.75u in the morning.

5. Sanda Elena

Sanda Elena Member

Thank you for your answer and wise advice.
    I am able to test frequently tonight, tomorrow and friday am cycle. He eats LC food, miamor pate mostly 5%, boiled chicken and sometimes schesir chicken in jelly , also under 10 %. I give him HC when I want him to surf instead of dropping fast because he is not carb sensitive. I have purina in gravy.

Gill & George likes this.
  6. Sanda Elena

Sanda Elena Member

+10 78 . Probably he will have a green PMPS

7. Gill & George

Looks like he might be heading that way.
    So that +10 is after some HC at +8?

8. Gill & George

remember, below 90 you don't shoot on SLGS.

And you want to avoid feeding him 2 hrs before the test. (unless he is too low) you don't want that number to be food influenced.

9. Sanda Elena

Sanda Elena Member

I only fed LC at +8. Today LC only to see what he is up to

Gill & George likes this.
  10. Gill & George

Good to know, just was not sure.

I always kept a note on my George's ss, of what I fed (and carb%), how much and when. It helped me a lot, and it also helped others help me. you might want make that routine in your record keeping, especially now pufi is showing you a bit more green.

11. Sanda Elena

Sanda Elena Member

PMPS 88 stall. No food after +10

12. Gill & George

Since you are following slgs, you don't shoot under 90.

Have you tested again?

If you haven't, test again and let's see what the numbers say.
    Have you fed?

13. Gill & George

From the SLGS sticky.
    If the preshot number is far below usual preshot numbers:
    • Do you need to stay on schedule? Then skip the shot.
    • Do you have some flexibility with your schedule? Then stalling to wait for the number to rise might be a good option. Don't feed, retest after 30-60 minutes, and decide if the number is shootable.
    • Repeat until the cat either reaches a number at which you are comfortable shooting, or enough time has passed that skipping the shot is necessary.
    If you haven't fed Pufi then perhaps the option highlighted above is a posibility. Remember however much you delay by tonight will mean that tommorrows shot will also be late, you can only make time back 30 min per day (or 15min per cycle)

14. Sanda Elena

Sanda Elena Member

I will retest in 15 min. I haven't fed and he is hungry and upset:). If the BG is 90 I will shot at least a smaler dose like 1 IU just now and then give 1.75 in the morning. I hate to skip although if I don't give him the shot now I cannot adjust until friday pm. I am already 1 h late.

15. Gill & George

Can you test tonight? At least the early part of the cycle, even if you shoot a reduced dose the early part of the cycle can end up being much the same.

16. Sanda Elena

Sanda Elena Member

Yes I can test tonight. But he is 81 +13

17. Gill & George

Sorry, I was making you fedinner,dide him?
    Looks like you may need to skip.