10/5/20 - Squeaky! AMPS 280, +4 = 270, (PMPS 389 +7=331)

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Jan D & Squeaky, Oct 5, 2020.

1. Jan D & Squeaky

Jan D & Squeaky Well-Known Member

2. Adrienne & Molly (GA)

Adrienne & Molly (GA) Well-Known Member

3. Jan D & Squeaky

Hi Thanks Adrienne.

Adrienne & Molly (GA) likes this.
  4. Adrienne & Molly (GA)

Adrienne & Molly (GA) Well-Known Member

5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

With TR, you want 6 cycles in a row at a given dose before increasing, if you are just seeing yellow nadirs. It looks like you weren't sure what dose he got the PM of the 10/02, so the cycle count would have restarted the next morning, making today cycle 5 and tonight cycle 6. So, if you don't see blue before tomorrow morning, you can increase to 1.75 units then.

6. Jan D & Squeaky

Great Wendy, thanks so much. I appreciate the explanation, it helps my understanding and I can be more in control. Thank you.

Question for you: Do you have any recommendations about what to do about the prednisilone and the IBD/pancreatitis? Or just thoughts, not necessarily recommendations.

We did have a bit of diarrhea this week, but not much. One episode and I think he may have not eaten the pill that day.

New more immediate Question: It's 7:45 and yikes, I wasn't on top of things and I think he just ate from his dish. His scheduled shot should be after 12 hours, at 9:30. Actually I'd like to do 9:15 I'm trying to get earlier. Either way, it is 15 or 30 minutes short of a 2-hour fast before testing.

Should I still test at 9:30 or 9:15? Thanks in advance.

7. Christie & Maverick

Christie & Maverick Well-Known Member

Sorry I didn't get the tag earlier. The 2 hour fast suggestion is usually more important for newer members who haven't had a chance to see how their cat responds to insulin and carbs. When you get to lower numbers that are debatable to shoot, it helps to understand what kind of food bump your cat usually gets from a meal, so that you don't artificially increase BG levels, shoot on those numbers and have the numbers drop when carbs wear off. Based on the numbers I see for Squeaky this cycle, and the last few cycles, it looks like you should be fine to move up the TFS for 9:15 p.m. as you have planned.

Jan D & Squeaky likes this.
  8. Jan D & Squeaky

Thanks Christie!!!! I'm learning more and more!!!! I appreciate the answer!

Christie & Maverick likes this.
  9. Kyle & Simon (GA)

Kyle & Simon (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Jan, I wanted to reach out and let you know that my cat Simon has IBD and was on prednisolone for approx. 4 months before developing diabetes. We have since switched to budesonide (a steroid that acts more locally in the GI tract and can have fewer side effects) and Simon no longer needs insulin. If you have specific questions about IBD, I have learned alot from the FB group IBD kitties, and their website ibdkitties.net. Or I would be happy to chat anytime. Best of luck to you and Squeaky!

Christie & Maverick likes this.
  10. Wendy&Neko

The fast is also more important when they are in low numbers at preshot time, and you want to make sure that low number + food influence is still a safe number to shoot. No worries with Squeaky tonight.
    Squeaky is on a relatively low dose of prednisolone. We have had some cats switch to budesonide successfully for their IBD, and since it's a more localized steroid, it doesn't impact the BG's as much. It didn't impact Neko's at all. I had a civvie cat on 10 mg of pred daily, and it didn't impact his BG that much (maybe 20-30 points). I think how cats react to steroids is rather individual. What you have to trade off is how well the pred is helping his IBD symptoms and whether you want to trial a new medicine. Our saying here is that if you have to give a med that raises the BG, but is needed for another condition, you don't stop that med, you just raise the dose to compensate. I get pred compounded into a chicken flavour chew treat, so I have no problem with it being eaten.

11. Jan D & Squeaky

Wow I asked my vet about budesonide, and she kind of indicated it was just another steroid. Hmmmm. Now they want me to pay for another consultation to discuss this again. (Grrrrr yes I growl.) However I would LOVE to see a remission of the diabetes...... I appreciate your reply, any other information will help me when I pay the vet again.

Kyle & Simon (GA) likes this.
  12. Wendy&Neko

Budesonide is another steroid, but it acts locally in the GI only, hence often doesn't impact BG's as a broader steroid like pred.

13. Jan D & Squeaky

Thanks SOOOOO much Wendy. I have learned, with doctors and vets, it's usually most helpful to have all the information, and know exactly what you need before you get there. One would think it would be the other way around.

The high point of the week, was putting Squeaky back in his harness with leash. He had a blast walking around, looking, and sniffing. Walking up the stairs on his own power to get back in our condo. I never thought it would be a good idea with older cats, but it really is, because they can't get away so fast and get in danger (like darting under a car or something). And he is really enjoying it!

I hope you have a great day today, and wish you a lovely autumn. We so appreciate your loving kindness.

Kyle & Simon (GA) likes this.