11/1 EDDIE: AMPS 74 +2 95 +5 155 +8 232 PMPS 227 +2 160

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Jodey&Eddie&Blue, Nov 1, 2021.

1. Jodey&Eddie&Blue

Jodey&Eddie&Blue Well-Known Member

2. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Just saw this. When do you leave and how long are you gone for?

I see a 91 in your SS. When was that and was that without food?

3. Jodey&Eddie&Blue

Just got 100. No food. The 91 was 20 mins after the first 74 + 79

My appointment is in 30 mins

4. Bandit's Mom

It's possible that he has nadired at AMPS and will head higher. You can always shoot and leave out higher carb food to be safe.
    How long will you be gone for?

5. Jodey&Eddie&Blue

I'll be gone for 1.5 hours...and believe me, I'll rush back!!!!

6. Bandit's Mom

Then shoot and get a test before you leave and feed accordingly. :)

Jodey&Eddie&Blue likes this.
  7. Jodey&Eddie&Blue

Thank you. Sorry for messy post.

8. Bandit's Mom

Not at all. Happy to help :)
    Soon you will be shooting the 50s without batting an eyelid! :bighug:

9. Christie & Maverick

Christie & Maverick Well-Known Member

I'm glad he came up for you, before you needed to shoot, hope he stays safe while you are gone.

Just a point of clarification, since you are using AT2 and following TR, you don't want to shoot anything under 68. The reference above to "shooting 50s" is only applicable when following TR and using a human meter.

10. Jodey&Eddie&Blue

Back from appointment. Just tested him: at +2 = 95. I will watch him throughout the day.

What would be my reference # on the AT2 and following TR?

I have to go out once more @ noon for an hour but then back all day.

11. Bandit's Mom

The no-shoot number for AT would be below 68.

12. Jodey&Eddie&Blue

Ok, that helps me to put the numbers on the SS in perspective and to maybe calm down a little when I see 91 or 95. I'll be keeping an eye on him all day. He seems content and in good spirits so all's well thus far.

Thank you!

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  13. Christie & Maverick

Christie & Maverick Well-Known Member

That said, given that Eddie has other complications, you may find depending on how the cycles are going, and noting you have quite a larger depot also to consider, you may find that you'll have to sometimes be a bit flexible in your approach. Sometimes getting a quick spot check later in the cycle when you see a lower number at +2 or +3 can help, especially if it is a time you don't often test, like a +10 or +11. I know it isn't always possible, but something to think about. Here is a link if you haven't seen it, about being data ready and how to handle lower preshots (note reference is human meter, but the concepts remain the same):

https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB...y-to-shoot-handle-lower-pre-shot-numbers.147/

14. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

My two cents...for an acro cat having had SRT, I think my no shoot would be around 80-85 on the AT until you get a little more data. Well, I wouldn't outright skip, I'd do some sort of BCS.

15. Jodey&Eddie&Blue

@FrostD @Wendy&Neko @Bandit's Mom and/or @Christie & Maverick

The +8 is a mystery to me: 232??? After all that? I do not know how to read this except as a bounce? Or is it due to the decrease from 13U to 12U? But then what comes later? Will he be high tonight at PMPS?

16. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Bounce. Loosely speaking when you see 100+ pt or so swing upwards and/or very fast uptick it's a bounce. ECID of course, some go sky high others not so much.

This does mean you have to watch for the breaking cycle be sure they often go lower than they normally would. He seems to clear them on the 3rd cycle, but that's not a guarantee.

17. Jodey&Eddie&Blue

If this is the case, what dose tonight? Stay at 12U or go back to 13u?

18. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Hold the dose, unless he throws a surprise in there but I doubt it. Need to give 12U depot time to settle to see how he does.

I know Bhooma mentioned shooting through a bounce - keeping the higher dose before reducing to hopefully bring the bounce down. But since you already reduced this morning just sit tight at 12U.

19. Jodey&Eddie&Blue

Yes, that makes sense. What ought I to watch for in the morning? That is, what are possible results. I’d say What can I do, but I’ll post for help if he’s dropping.

20. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

It's not so much preshot alone, but the overall trend. So before bed test, and I also like to get a +10 or +11 to compare with PS. Just to see if he's coming down quite a bit, or holding steadier.

21. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Correct, a bounce. We have no idea how low he was a couple hours before that 74. Thankfully his body isn't used to those lower numbers.
    Tonight is the 4th cycle on 12U, I'm willing to bet he's angling to go down to 11U soon. Remember, we dose based on how low the dose takes the cat. 74 is very close to 68 which is the reduction point. Since it came at the end of the second cycle of 12 units, the 12 unit depot was still influencing the numbers. But I think he'll see green again soon on this dose.

With an acrocat going down dose after SRT. Caution is key. No shooting through the bounce - that just allows the larger depot to get ahead of you. I actually took back to back reductions with Neko when SRT started working.

22. Jodey&Eddie&Blue

I’ll be checking him in about an hour. But a question: what do you mean by “no shooting through the bounce”?
    I’m also hearing you say we are edging towards a reduction to 11u. If so what am I looking for? I’m just trying to make sure I’m clear in understanding you since we aren’t talking in person.

23. Bandit's Mom

Did I say this wrt Eddie? I don't think so! :)

When a cat earns a reduction in a cycle, sometimes the caregiver does not reduce the dose in the immediate next cycle but the cycle after that. This applies for cats who are bouncy and invariably bounce in the cycle after a low number. So you hold the dose and "shoot through the bounce" and reduce in the next cycle. Wendy advises not doing so with Eddie but taking a reduction in the cycle immediately after the one he earns the reduction in.

I hope I didn't confuse you further!

24. Jodey&Eddie&Blue

The part that had me confused is what is meant by “not doing so [shooting through the bounce] but taking a reduction in the cycle immediately after the one he earns a reduction in”.
    I can’t wrap my head around the last part of that sentence…
    Taking a reduction after the reduction?

ANYWAY, just now +2 160

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  25. Bandit's Mom

Not taking a reduction after the reduction, but taking a reduction in the cycle after he earns it. That is, if he falls below 68 (or whatever is your reduction point) in today's PM cycle (for e.g) then you will reduce his dose in the next cycle i.e. tomorrow's AM cycle.

If you were shooting through the bounce, you would shoot the same dose in tomorrow's AM cycle and reduce in the cycle after that is, tomorrow's PM cycle.

26. Bandit's Mom

That's a good drop at onset. Please feed some LC and get a +3?

27. Jodey&Eddie&Blue

The part that had me confused is what is meant by “not doing so [shooting through the bounce] but taking a reduction in the cycle immediately after the one he earns a reduction in”.
    I can’t wrap my head around the last part of that sentence…
    Taking a reduction after the reduction?

28. JL and Chip

JL and Chip Well-Known Member

Yikes on the 59 at PM +7.
    Are you feeding to get that number back up?

29. Jodey&Eddie&Blue

Yes, thanks for being here. It's 3:30 am. I tested twice, got the same, tested again got 93 and gave a teaspoon of food.

30. Jodey&Eddie&Blue

I'm sorry, it's 3:30 am and I'm so wooly headed can't remember how to properly title the thread according to the date when it's the middle of the night but I got up to test Eddie (11/2) to see where the nadir might be from last night's shot and I got 59, twice).

20 minutes later, got 93. Gave teaspoon of food.
    +8.25 106

Thinking this might be the dose reduction we were discussing last night: go to 11u this morning.

https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/thr...155-8-232-pmps-227-2-160.254941/#post-2872109

Last edited: Nov 2, 2021
  31. JL and Chip

JL and Chip Well-Known Member

When are you testing again? What are you feeding (low carb? high carb?)? Please stay on top of it.

Post-SRT can be a heck of a ride.

And yes, Eddie has definitely earned a dose reduction.

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  32. Bandit's Mom

The last test was 93 @+7.5?

33. Bandit's Mom

34. Jodey&Eddie&Blue

Tested again. I gave medium carb & he went up 106 at +8.25
    I’m up with him. He seems just fine, grooming on his cat tower.

35. Jodey&Eddie&Blue

Last test was 106 @ +8.25

sorry for this scrambled middle-of-night post.

36. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Still the larger depot at play... we'll see how he does today but wondering if you may need slight depot drainer tonight. My gut is telling me he may need a slightly larger reduction than that 11U but let's see what others think.

37. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Sorry I didn't mean to add confusion with the shooting through bounce stuff yesterday, I just wanted to make sure you didn't try to do that.

And sorry Bhooma @Bandit's Mom must have gotten cats/threads confused!

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  38. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I've combined your two threads of 11/1. Start a new post with AMPS of 11/2.

Kind of figured that reduction wasn't long from being earned. Good thing you were up to catch it!

39. Jodey&Eddie&Blue

OMG, this was totally shocking to my sleep-befuddled brain. I literally could not work out the spreadsheet or the dates and I kept making typos.