? 11/1 Mumf +11.5 BG 90 stalling

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by MumfsFriend, Nov 1, 2021.

1. MumfsFriend

MumfsFriend Member

My sugar cat is on 1.5 units of Lantus, he just hasn’t eaten all day, threw up a little bit. I came home from work just now and checked his blood glucose and it’s at 90. I’ve now given him food because he’s starving, but he’s alert and fine.

I am thinking of stalling for a bit, taking his glucose again in about an hour and then may be giving a reduced dose? we just recently reduced his dose from 1.75 to 1.5 because he was so low.

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  2. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

3. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Did he ever get rid of the hairballs? I’m starting to think that his inappetence might have a different cause.

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  4. MumfsFriend

MumfsFriend Member

He did.. he started eating again that evening and hasn’t been inappetent. In fact, he is eating now.. it feels like he just sleeps during the day and doesn’t eat his midday meal. Might also be the food I’m offering…

I talked to the vet and she said to check again in an hour, and if his BG is on the rise again, to give a reduced dose.

5. Bandit's Mom

It's possible that 1.5U is too high for him, considering he's in green after a skip. But I just wanted to caution that Lantus is not dosed based on preshot values, but on nadirs. And it works best with consistent dosing. Changing dose frequently confuses the depot and you will not have an idea of which dose is working.

You could reduce to 1.25U and see how he does on it.

tiffmaxee and MumfsFriend like this.
  6. MumfsFriend

MumfsFriend Member

tiffmaxee and Bandit's Mom like this.
  7. MumfsFriend

MumfsFriend Member

He’s not inappetent now, let me tell you, lol. I need to go to the store and get some more food, because we’re out and I’m still waiting on a delivery that hasn’t arrived yet. He’s very much alert, playing, running around. So I’m not too worried. I’ll be taking his BG again in about 10 minutes and then I’ll make a decision.

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  8. MumfsFriend

MumfsFriend Member

he’s now at 145, so he’s on the rise. Going to wait a few more minutes and then give him 1 unit, that was the vet’s advice just now.

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  9. Bandit's Mom

Some of that is the food bump. Please do test him 2 hours after the shot to ensure he doesn't dive at onset.

If 1U is the dose your vet suggests, please stay at that dose for a few days. Do not go back up if you get a higher preshot tonigh or tomorrow. That would just be him bouncing from the lows of today.

MumfsFriend and tiffmaxee like this.
  10. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I’m glad he’s feeling well. Bhooma has given you good advice. We all get scared shooting lower numbers but it soon becomes addictive!

Bandit's Mom and MumfsFriend like this.
  11. MumfsFriend

MumfsFriend Member

I will definitely keep testing tonight! The vet said to go back to 1.5 units tomorrow if things go accordingly. She also said if I feel uncomfortable giving him just one unit tonight, I can skip and give them the full 1.5 tomorrow. I will make a decision in about two minutes lol

12. MumfsFriend

MumfsFriend Member

Now he is at 181, definitely getting that one unit haha

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  13. MumfsFriend

MumfsFriend Member

Thank you both for being here and for responding so swiftly, this is so valuable for me as a newbie <3

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  14. Bandit's Mom

Stick to 1U for a few cycles and see how he does on that dose.

MumfsFriend likes this.
  15. MumfsFriend

MumfsFriend Member

+2 is 228. Yay! :)

Bandit's Mom likes this.