11/11 Oberon PMPS 66, +0.5 77, +1 67, +2 58, +2.5 78, +3 97, +3.5 90, +4 87, +5 89, +5.5 95

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Lisa & Oberon, Nov 11, 2020.

1. Lisa & Oberon

Lisa & Oberon Well-Known Member

yesterday (what the heck was that?): https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB...-4-214-5-165-6-110-6-5-89-7-81-7-5-90.238357/

Oberon's been surfing in the greens and very low blues since late last night... made for a very long night for me but DH took over at about 4 am. Coming up just slightly now (121 at AMPS), so I expect he'll start to head back up soon. Gave him his full Lantus dose (9.75 U), no R. Have to finish updating his SS/graph and then I'm heading back to bed.

Two big long dips in a row is definitely a break from his usual pattern. Wonder if it's the start of a trend or if he'll be back to his usual pinks soon.

Butters & Lyla likes this.
  2. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Nice beachy start today.

3. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Nice surfing last night. I hope Oberon keeps surfing today.

4. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Oh my, green again! :D:cool:

Lisa & Oberon likes this.
  5. Lisa & Oberon

I know, right? I go back to bed and look what he does. Back to 30 min checks and feeding some 12%.

6. Sandy and Black Kitty

Sandy and Black Kitty Well-Known Member

7. Lisa & Oberon

Still surfing. Poor boy... his favorite daytime sleeping spot is under a big chair in the living room. I can't get to him to test under there, so I'm dragging him out every half hour. I'm thinking I need to put a tray+towel under there so I can just slide him out and back in again.

8. Lisa & Oberon

Morning data: AMPS 121, +2 122, +3 92, +4 62, +4.5 65, +5 74, +5.5 75

9. Lisa & Oberon

Still surfing at +10... now we get to see what happens without food propping him up. Fingers crossed he stays above 50 at PMPS.

JaxBenji and Butters & Lyla like this.
  10. JaxBenji

JaxBenji Well-Known Member

Yowsa, Oberon :eek: Congrats on a wonderful cycle...paws crossed for PMPS!

Pretty sure that since you publicly identified a cycle pattern the other day, he decided to make a new one :cat:

Hope you had a good day, Lisa :bighug:

11. Lisa & Oberon

Yep, I'm quite sure that's what happened. My cat is a jerk.

73 at 11.25, so dropping a bit but still well above 50. Now I have to think about what my options might be at PMPS if he's above 50. Shoot the full dose, BCS, skip, or stall? Normally I'd do the full dose knowing that his dips don't last all that long and he'll be on his way up soon. But today I have no idea what he's up to. Leaning towards a BCS.

JaxBenji likes this.
  12. Lisa & Oberon

Morning data part 2: +6 96, +6.5 70, +7 63, +7.5 67, +8 73, +8.5 73, +9 77, +9.5 75

13. Lisa & Oberon

OK, 66 at PMPS so definitely ok to shoot. Unless there's good reason not to I'm actually inclined to give the full dose. Thoughts?

14. Lisa & Oberon

Done... here's hoping he continues to surf for a while but then lets me actually go to bed.

15. Sandy and Black Kitty

16. Wendy&Neko

What a day! :D Look how many hours of greenage in a row.

That little dip end of day might have been a Lantus double dip.

17. Lisa & Oberon

I know! He's close to his record for green, and that's not counting the green last night, with just a bit of low blue between that and this morning's greens.

Maybe a double dip... we'd also been feeding him a little bit of MC every time we tested him up, right until +10. So I think he was coming down from the food bump. I'm trying to go a little longer without feeding MC to see what happens.

18. JaxBenji

JaxBenji Well-Known Member

laughing so hard at the this lol. Hope you can get some rest tonight :bighug:

19. Lisa & Oberon

No food since PMPS dinner, and he's down to 58... gave a tsp of 20% carb FF.

20. Wendy&Neko

Beware of IAA kitties that start to resemble Kermit the frog.:D Seriously though, this much greenage and the fact that R usage has been declining is a warning that caution is key. Based on last night's reaction to R, should you find a time to use it, might want to step down the R scale a bit.

I hope you managed to put the brakes on.

21. Lisa & Oberon

Yeah, something is definitely changing. I'm happy to see all this green, but what if the antibodies fully kick loose with all this Lantus on board? I'm wondering whether I should have a more conservative threshold for reductions than the usual TR protocol.

22. Wendy&Neko

FYI, when Neko's IAA broke/SRT kicked in - both happened at same time, I used a reduction point of 70. Once things slowed down, I moved back to 50. Other tools you can use are BCS to help drain the depot, or skips if you need to sleep or otherwise get a life back.

23. Lisa & Oberon

Reduction threshold of 70 seems like it might not be a bad idea. My goal here isn't remission (yet); I really just want to get him below renal threshold as much as possible, but safely.

97 at +3... could be from the HC I gave him, but maybe he's finally coming back up. Not that I really want him in high numbers, but sleep would be nice.

24. Lisa & Oberon

More morning numbers: +10 93, +10.5 88, +11.25 73

Back down to 87, so that was probably a food bump.

He's been sleeping pretty much all day; I test him wherever he is and I've been bringing MC/HC food over to him so the other cats don't get it. He's not coming to the kitchen and asking for food like he usually does, but I've been stuffing him with the higher carb stuff so I'm guessing he really just isn't hungry. Can't tell whether he's enjoying these low numbers or feeling a little off.

25. Sandy and Black Kitty

With a high dose kitty, if you find yourself struggling to keep numbers above 50 through an entire cycle a reduction might be in order.

When there’s enough insulin on board to keep numbers in the normal zone, the energy from food is able to make it to all the cells in his body and hunger subsides.
    In the Sugar Dance it’s cat that leads.

26. Lisa & Oberon

And as soon as I posted that, he came over and banged on the recycling bin to demand food. :rolleyes:

So the question now is how much to reduce. Quick history of the past couple of weeks: With 10 U he dropped to 48, so we reduced to 9.5 U. Then we snuck it up to 9.75 U after 8 cycles rather than going all the way back to 10 U. Think I should just reduce by 0.25 U? Or since I'm normally working in 0.5 increments maybe go down to 9.25?

27. Lisa & Oberon

95 at +5.5. Just fed him a mix of 12% and 20% (finished off the cans) and left some regular food in his feeder, and I'm heading to bed. DH will check him at +8.

28. Wendy&Neko

You are still in the learning phase of what size reduction works for Oberon. Until you have more data, I'd start with a 0.5 unit reduction. The larger depots can be a bear to deal with after a reduction.

Other thought I had - you might be dealing with some glucose toxicity breaking. That can also mean reductions.

29. Lisa & Oberon

OK, down to 9.25. Good point about the glucose toxicity.