? 11/15 TIGER in remission but bg is high today.

Discussion in 'Lantus / Basaglar (glargine) and Levemir (detemir)' started by Wendy Jones, Nov 15, 2020.

  1. Wendy Jones

    Wendy Jones Member

    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2020
    Tiger has been diet controlled for several weeks. His weekly BG test this morning was 164, +3 179, pmps 182. :( nothing has changed except he has a upper respiratory viral of some sort. Would a virus cause his bg to be up? Should I give insulin or wait to see if his virus gets better and bg goes down?
     
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2020
  2. JaxBenji

    JaxBenji Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jul 10, 2020
    I can't advise to dosing - if it were me, I'd wait until others can weigh in.

    From what I understand, infection raises BG (humans and cats).

    Did Tiger get any meds for the virus?

    BTW, Tiger is beautiful.
     
    Wendy Jones likes this.
  3. Wendy Jones

    Wendy Jones Member

    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2020
    Thank you. He hasn't taken anything yet. He's had a cough for a few days which I wasn't sure if it was a cough or a hairball but I have two other cats that had been sneezing which I thought was allergies but then he started sneezing last night too so now I realize it's viral. I called my vet and he said don't worry about it unless they get fever or start getting colored mucus but he didn't mention any kind of treatment. I've been researching on my own what to give him and have only come up with L-lysime and maybe some baby saline nose drops. I have to order them. I thought I've read illness will raise their BG so I wasn't sure if I should rush right back to insulin or wait and see.
     
    JaxBenji likes this.
  4. JaxBenji

    JaxBenji Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jul 10, 2020
    Hang in there :bighug: FWIW, it's great you've got the reading so early. People here will have ideas to help.

    I would also edit your title of your post to "11/15 Tiger - In Remission but high BG?" (or something along those lines...just so people kind of know what it is going on).
     
    Sue and Luci and Wendy Jones like this.
  5. tiffmaxee

    tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Nov 15, 2013
    Infection can raise the bg. I would test again 3 hours after he eats and see if the bg comes down at all. Keep checking twice a day and see if it stays up or not. Don’t base anything on one test. Max had a respiratory infection once and my vet said I could give him 1/3 or 1/4 a regular zyrtec to help the symptoms. If the cats seem very uncomfortable ask your vet about that. I hope it’s just the infection
     
    Wendy Jones likes this.
  6. Wendy Jones

    Wendy Jones Member

    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2020
    Thank you. I hope so too!
     
  7. Wendy Jones

    Wendy Jones Member

    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2020
    He's been around 180 all day. Should i check him a few days and see if it lowers?
     
  8. tiffmaxee

    tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Nov 15, 2013
    I would want to see if the infection clears and Tiger returns to normal bg. I would check him for a few days. See what others think. Change your title to say out of remission? It will get more eyes on it.
     
    Wendy Jones likes this.
  9. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

    Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

    Joined:
    Dec 28, 2009
    The L-lysine may help.

    What may also help is that if he's congested, run a hot shower and keep the bathroom door closed so the room gets steamy. Let Tiger sit in the steamy bathroom. It may help to break up the congestion.
     
  10. Wendy Jones

    Wendy Jones Member

    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2020
    Thank you. I ordered some baby saline drops for his nose too. He really doesn't sound congested but he doesn't feel real good.
     

Share This Page