? 11/2 Phoenix AMPS 58. Why isn't fancy feast hc working?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Scdal, Nov 2, 2021.

1. Scdal

Scdal Member

@Bandit's Mom
    @tiffmaxee
    For the last couple of days, I have been feeding Phoenix fancy feast hc to try to raise his BG. Yesterday, he ate one and a half cans of fancy feast hc and one half of a can this morning. He also ate all of his regular meals.

I don't think he would have dropped lower if I hadn't fed the fancy feast. Looking back over the last week, he seems to stay pretty steady without the fancy feast.

Is there anything I can feed him that has more carbs? This morning I gave him honey which did raise his BG.

I have been feeding Phoenix the beef gravy lovers carb 20, chicken carb 15, whitefish and tuna carb 16.

He also has fancy feast medley Tuscany chicken carb 20, turkey carb 20 and tuna carb 22. However, these contain rice which he spits out and will not eat. I am sure the rice is where most of the carbs are. So, I have gone back to the gravy lovers.

I decreased his insulin from 11.5 units to 11 this past Sunday. His numbers were great on Monday but I still had to feed fancy feast 3 times that day. The total amount of fancy feast eaten was a can and a half.

This morning, Phoenix's AMPS was 58. This scared me enough to lower his insulin to 10.5 units. At +10 very early this morning, his BG was 87. I fed him half a can of fancy feast.

Any recommendations on something with higher carbs to feed? Any advice on how to handle these low numbers would be appreciated.

2. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

It looks like he wants to be on a lower dose. If you find that you need a lot of carbs to prop him up, the dose is too high and he needs a reduction. I see you reduced him to 10.5U this morning. You may want to take him down to 10U tonight and see how he does on it.

With doses above 10U, increases and decreases are in multiples of 1U.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2021
    Jodey&Eddie&Blue and tiffmaxee like this.
  3. smorgasbord

smorgasbord Well-Known Member

You can sort this database by carb level. Maybe sort by highest and take it with you to the pet store and see what you can find?
    https://catinfo.org/chart/index.php

So frustrating, I know.

4. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I agree with Bhooma. Reduce to 10 and when reductions are needed it’s 1.0 right now.

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  5. Scdal

Scdal Member

I knew I was supposed to reduce by one unit but I was scared his BG would go high. I have learned my lesson. Right now, his BG has dropped back down to 63 and I have given him some honey. I think this morning's insulin is kicking in.

I think I am in for a day of constant BG checking. This is my fault.

6. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Adding honey/syrup/karo is a good option if you need higher carbs. Neko needed to have low phosphorus food due to her kidneys, so I had a couple cans of Weruva Grandma's chicken soup around (21%) for when she really needed a boost. I also had discovered she was allergic to wheat which many foods have for carbs, but the Weruva used potatoes for carbs. As does the Merrick Cowboy Cookout, but it was too high in phosphorus.

If a cat won't stay up in spite of higher carbs, he needs a reduction. Good luck with the new dose.

7. Scdal

Scdal Member

I know, Bhooma had told me that before but I just didn't listen. I have learned my lesson this time.

tiffmaxee likes this.
  8. Scdal

Scdal Member

Thank you for your suggestions and advice. I am going down to 10 units this evening. I should have decreased by 1 unit instead of .5. I appreciate your help.