11/26 Loudogg AMPS 57 - Dental Elation and Confusion

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Amanda and a Loudogg, Nov 26, 2020.

1. Amanda and a Loudogg

Amanda and a Loudogg Well-Known Member

August 15, 2020 Condo

Good morning everyone! Happy Thanksgiving!!
    I absolutely cannot believe how long it's been since I've last posted. 2020 has just been a weird and stressful year, and time has been speeding by so quickly I can hardly keep up. Lou had a rough October this year. He had been going along swimmingly at 1.0u before spiking up. I hadn't seen a yellow on his spreadsheet in so long that it threw me off hardcore. We had to increase his dose aggressively, which reminding me of when his IAA was active. Obviously something changed, and he had been rejecting food here and there. We figured it was time to get his dental done (he has root reabsorption, and we always knew he'd need his remaining few teeth removed). He had a pre-op and we were told that TWO of his remaining teeth were cracked, which was most likely causing his BGs and insulin doses to spike. :arghh: I felt awful because it was obvious he was in pain.

Unfortunately, we had to wait a month for the pre-op, and then we were short-staffed at work, so I had to wait until yesterday to have the dental done. I lowered his dose for 2 cycles prior and gave no insulin the night before and the day of. I was shocked at how low his numbers still were. I was terrified of him going hypo. Thankfully the dental went well, although I was a mess waiting for it. He got his remaining 3 teeth removed and now only has those little incisor teeth left. He was only at 175 last night, which is crazy considering the procedure, stress, and the pain in his mouth. I erred on the side of caution and gave him 0.5u since he was eating pretty well (only getting 3 teeth removed is so much easier than most of your teeth removed ;)).

This morning he was at 57 at AMPS!! Insanity! He's had less insulin and 2 straight cycles of no insulin, and yet he's still rocking those low greens. It gives me hope that those stupid teeth have been keeping his BGs up and he may need a lot less insulin going forward. I wasn't sure what to give him for insulin at this point, so I just gave 0.5u again (gosh I'm out of practice with those low doses) and we'll see how he is once the depot stabilizes. Do you all think that sounds like a plan or do you think I should go back up to at least 1.0u since the depot from the higher dose is still technically there?

I hope you all have a wonderful day and a fantastic (and safe) Thanksgiving (for you folks in the US). I am beyond thankful for you all here. I know Lou would not be doing as fantastically well as he is without the help of everyone here. I truly cannot thank you all enough. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

2. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Happy Thanksgiving.

Glad his bad teeth are out. Just maybe he will need no juice soon.

Suzanne Burton likes this.
  3. Amanda and a Loudogg

Amanda and a Loudogg Well-Known Member

I keep hoping beyond hope that he may just not need it anymore. I know it's possible, and this just makes me squee to myself (deep in my own mind) that he may be done with this FD dance soon.

4. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Regardless of what's been going on, that's one very pretty, green SS.

Have a lovely holiday.

5. Pamela & Amethyst

Pamela & Amethyst Well-Known Member

6. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

Hey Amanda! Loudog looks great.

See how you how with the 0.5. you can come back up if the numbers warrant it.

Keeping all paws crossed.

7. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm glad the dental went well. I'd stick with the 0.5 units unless his numbers start going up. The skipped shots should have drained the depot.