11/4 Max AMPS 293 +2 274

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Max & Lori, Nov 4, 2021.

1. Max & Lori

Max & Lori Well-Known Member

Link to yesterday https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/11-3-max-amps-354-2-434-4-422.255016/#post-2872720
    Looking better! Max's Libre completely stopped working last night so we are back to the human meter for now. It lasted 1 full week. Not sure I am going to continue with the Libre although I do have another one here. I liked some things about it but I'm just not sure it's worth it. It did read higher numbers than the human meter for him as expected. Anyway Max seems happy that it's off lol. :cat:

2. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

Hooray. I was just scanning the condos for today and saw Max and I saw numbers in the 200s!!! I got very excited to see that!

Max & Lori likes this.
  3. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Woohoo! Nice start today. :) Bummer about the Libre, some people don't even get a full day out of it. :banghead: Some it lasts the two weeks. ECID.

Max & Lori likes this.
  4. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Ah so glad to see these numbers!

Max & Lori likes this.
  5. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

And I am going to do cartwheels when we have a blue!

Max & Lori likes this.
  6. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Nice numbers. Glad Max is happy.

Max & Lori likes this.
  7. Max & Lori

Sorry y’all. I was happy to see the lower numbers today too but Max had to go to the vet late this afternoon because he was so constipated. He had to get an enema and was full of poop. He is still going! That’s probably why his BG was 601 I’m assuming. ReliOn read HI and AlphaTrak 601. Also gave PMPS dose 15 minutes late because of getting home late from vet. I hope I did that correctly on my spreadsheet. Hoping we can get him back on track. She also started him in lactulose. Won’t that raise his BG? Anybody else use that? @Wendy&Neko

Last edited: Nov 4, 2021
    FrostD likes this.
  8. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

9. Katherine&Ruby

Katherine&Ruby Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about the constipation. :( Constipation may account for the increased BG levels. Ruby had an enema a few months back and after that I started using Lactulose. It's a dairy derived complex sugar that does not get absorbed into the body that simple sugars like glucose do, and so it will not affect BGs. I mix it into every one of Ruby's meals to help her go. Before the lactulose she was pooping every 5-6 days, and now she goes every 3-4 days. I also give her a prebiotic called Kibow and a probiotic called Visbiome--Ruby has small cell lymphoma, so I add these supplements to help her other GI issues that may or may not be connected to the constipation. I tried subQ fluids but that didn't seem to help. Coming up with the right dose of Lactulose is a bit of an art. I started Ruby on 1 ml a day and now we're up to about 6-8 mls.

The predominant complaint about lactulose is a lot of cats don't like the taste of it. Miralax has no taste and works well for most cats, but not Ruby. She either had constipation or diarrhea with Miralax, and rarely ever anything in between.

Max & Lori likes this.
  10. Max & Lori

Thank you for letting me know. Where do you get your prebiotic and probiotic? I was giving Max Fortiflora but I started hearing some things about it that made me question it. Miralax doesn’t really help Max much either. He has chronic pancreatitis and IBD so he has a lot of GI issues as well.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2021
  11. Katherine&Ruby

Fortiflora is not really a probiotic. It has a single strain probiotic and not much of it--it's mostly animal digest and is great for getting cats to eat but not great for resolving GI dysbiosis. I am part of the Raw Feeding for IBD cats FB group, and their recommendations are good for cats with IBD as well as SCL. They recommended Kibow and Visbiome in their supplements file and you can order both directly from the companies that produce them. The Kibow I get in the form of tablets and I grind them up in a Magic Bullet and sprinkle 1/16 tsp twice a day in food. Visbiome contains one of the highest levels of gut-enhancing bacteria on the market, like 112 billion or something crazy like that :p, and I give Ruby ½ capsule twice a day.

I also feed her raw topped with low phosphorus Weruva pouch foods and that seems to help her a lot. She's gained weight since her SCL diagnosis and the raw food has essentially zero carbs.

Max & Lori likes this.
  12. Katherine&Ruby

Oh, and I've dabbled in the Libre as well. I love the 24 hour data and the convenience of a simple scan rather than a vein poke, but they have never lasted very long on Ruby. She either scratches it off or it dies before the 2 weeks are up. Though many cats tolerate it well, it stresses Ruby out a lot so the negatives outweigh the positives for me.

Max & Lori likes this.
  13. Max & Lori

Yes I agree exactly about the Libre, so I’m going back to my glucometer. Thanks for the info. I’m definitely going to check that out. I’ve always been interested in raw feeding but just haven’t started it yet because Max is so finicky and I really don’t know how to start. It’s looking like I really need to. I have FB so I will look into that.:)