12-03 Panzer/injested advil/ibuprofen/Stall @12.5 @66/71@+13 skipped shot

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Chrispooky12, Dec 3, 2022.

1. Chrispooky12

Chrispooky12 Well-Known Member

https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB...3-5-163-6-surgery-dose-surgery-failed.271338/

Last night I got out my advil/ibuprofen to take, I take 3 at a time. I'm not sure if I took them, but around +5 PMPS I caught Panzer playing with one ibuprofen & grabbed it up & went to see if I had taken the other 2 advil, no sign of them. He ate as he normally does @+6 PMPS & I went to bed around +7 PMPS. He slept with me like he always does. I woke up at 3am which would be +9 PMPS. There was food & water puke on the floor of the entryway door from the kitchen to the cat room. I cleaned it up thinking ok Spook puked again. I then proceeded to go back to bed Panzer followed me, he then puked same thing food& water & I was like what it must have been Panzer that puked. When I was cleaning it up I saw a little bit of the color of the advil/ibuprofen (Advil liquid gels minis 200mg) I saw the word advil in the puke. So I know for sure he injested at least one. I gave him an ondansetron 1/4 tablet like normal & he ate all of his food with water in it & hasn't puked since. Upon further investigation I looked under all of the furniture (I have all wood & linoleum floors. I did not find the 2 missing advils. I Googled it & it says that it is highly toxic & can even be fatal for cats or dogs to injest it to go an ER clinic. By this time I'm freaking out & reading on about symptoms. I read that need to puke it out ( he puked at least 3-4hrs after injesting them. It says to get him to drink water or flush him out with water. He only drinks water in his food. I gave him extra water in his +3 AMPS snack & his +6 AMPS feeding. The symptoms I remember reading is decreased appetite, vomiting sometimes with blood, diarrhea, depression, abdominal pain,dark tarry stools, pale gums, & bloody stools. Signs & symptoms of cat poisoning: coughing diarrhea vomiting twitching or seizures breathing difficulties (rapid or labored) The only symptom he has had is the vomiting. It also says it may take up to 3-4 days to show any affects. I am watching him closely & will be until I have to go to work on Monday.

I can't go to the vet let alone & emergency vet due to not having any money. If he starts showing any of these other symptoms then I will definitely be heading to the emergency vet. I have no clue how I will pay for it but I don't want to lose my baby because of my stupid mistake.:banghead:

Does anybody know of anything else I can give him besides possibly syringeing him water? I won't be giving him anymore Ondansetron because I want him to vomit if he needs to.

2. Chrispooky12

Adding to this post. He is acting normal, playing with Spook running around, purring,trying to get my food. Jumping up on the counters, gutting in his test box.

3. Virginie & Chewie (GA)

Virginie & Chewie (GA) Well-Known Member

Oh Christina I am so sorry, that’s such rotten luck! I just did what you did and googled what the treatment is and how ibuprofen affects a cat’s body, and since it seems to primarily attack the stomach lining and the kidneys, syringing as much water as you can seems like a good idea. Do you have slippery elm? That might help protect his digestive tract a bit. I hope he doesn’t develop any symptoms, all paws crossed :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Chrispooky12 likes this.
  4. Virginie & Chewie (GA)

Chrispooky12 likes this.
  5. Chrispooky12

Ok I will try syringing water. I do have slippery elm with bark. How do I give it to him?

6. Virginie & Chewie (GA)

If he is a good eater you could try mixing some in a snack with warm water added (slippery elm does need water to form the gooey mucilage that helps soothe the mucous membranes). If not, you can make a “syrup” and syringe it.

Instructions: https://littlebigcat.com/slippery-elm/

Chrispooky12 likes this.
  7. Chrispooky12

He's a good eater but if there's a taste to it he won't eat it. I have size 5 gel caps that I can put it in & give to him in a pill pocket? How much should I use though? 1/8 of a teaspoon same with syringing water? I could also try putting it in baby food? That's how him & my other boy eat there probiotic every morning after AMPS feeding because they can taste the probiotic in ther food but not the baby food.

8. Chrispooky12

9. Virginie & Chewie (GA)

The recommendation in that article is 1/4 tsp for about 10 lbs of body weight - you could try adding that to 1/2 tsp of baby food, add a bit of water, and see if Panzer will eat it. If he doesn’t, you could syringe that mixture.

10. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry. Sending prayers. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Chrispooky12 likes this.
  11. Chrispooky12

Ok he's a big boy 17lbs but I will do 1/4 of a teaspoon with baby food. I should probably wait until after shot time though which is in a half hr from now? He's at an all time low of 65 @+11. I'm following TR though so I have shoot as long as he's 50 or above.

12. Virginie & Chewie (GA)

Hmm yes I guess I would wait until about an hour after his shot, to make sure he doesn’t throw up his dinner if the mix somehow doesn’t agree with him.

Chrispooky12 likes this.
  13. Chrispooky12

Stalling 64/63 PMPS I know I'm supposed to shoot but I'm not sure if he's this low due to the advil. I only have 52 test strips left & no $ to get anymore.

14. Chrispooky12

Still stalling...he's puking now!

15. Chrispooky12

Puking again skipping shot & going to try & feed don't know if he will keep it down!

16. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

With all the other stuff going on, and now more puking, I think you should probably just skip the insulin tonight.

If he continues to vomit, there won't be anything for the insulin to work on.

I'd try giving him small amounts of food instead of a regular meal....like a teaspoon at a time and then wait at least 20-30 minutes to see if it stays down and then give another teaspoon

Chrispooky12 likes this.
  17. Chrispooky12

Ok thank you Chris, he puked again before feeding & I didn't see this so he ate his normal meal with extra extra water fortiflora & parmesan cheese. He's laying in one of his chewy boxes now.

18. chuckstables

chuckstables Member

LD50 for a cat is about 100mg per kg (meaning a 50% chance of death). You are significantly below that; he’d need another advil to get to that dose. He also likely puked some of it up due to it irritating his stomach. He will most likely be fine. If you see very dark blood in his poops in the next few months take him to a vet immediately or he might die.

His stomach lining is being irritated by the advil. That’s why he’s puking. It’s a good thing; it’s his body’s way of getting rid of the irritant.

Chrispooky12 likes this.
  19. Chrispooky12

Thank you for that information 50% chance of death is still scary though. I feel so bad my stupid mistake might cost me my baby:banghead::(

20. chuckstables

chuckstables Member

He doesn’t have a 50% chance of death. He’s at about HALF of the LD50 dose. When you go that far below the LD50 death would generally be very rare.

It was an accident. It happens. Don’t beat yourself up, just make whatever changes you need to to ensure it can never happen again (i’m sure you already have).

Monitor his stools very closely though, and his vomitus. Red blood in vomit means an ulcer, black tar blood in the stool would likely mean the same. If you see either you need to take him in.

One more thing, really important. This is going to put a LOT of stress on his kidneys as they break down the ibuprofen. Hydrate him. LD50 for death from kidney damage is 300mg/kg, so he’s had 1/6th of a dose that would kill his kidneys. Lots of water, and ideally food for cats with CKD for the next few days.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2022
    Chrispooky12 likes this.
  21. Chrispooky12

Ok I've got my eye's on him & will have them on him as long as I can keep them open. I'm still hurting from my surgery so I'm going to take my tramadol now. I can't drive but I've altered my daughter that we may have to go to the ER vet.

22. chuckstables

chuckstables Member

Damn i’m sorry. This must be rough. Hang in there; you’ll be okay and so will he.

One more thing to be aware of; NSAID overdose can induce pancreatitis. I see he has a history of that, so just fyi (unlikely thou)

Chrispooky12 likes this.
  23. Chrispooky12

Great well I have everything I need to deal with pancreatitis except fluids.

24. chuckstables

chuckstables Member

That’s fine, like i said unlikely. But possible. His thirst will naturally go up for a bit to help his kidneys out anyway.

Chrispooky12 likes this.
  25. Chrispooky12

He won't drink water on his own so the only way he can get water is in food. I've been advised not to syringe any water because we don't want it to go down the wrong pipe. He's sleeping now, I might take him in my room & lay down too.

26. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Christina

I hope Panzer is going to be ok. I know you said you don’t have $$ for the ER but please take him if you see any further changes. The thing that concerns me is the impact this can have on his liver and the only way to know that is if they do labs.

I’ve take the 911 done for now so you can focus on him but if there is another emergency, just put it back up. Thanks and many vines for him.

Chris & China (GA) likes this.
  27. Carole & Indigo

Carole & Indigo Well-Known Member

I’m sos sorry to hear you are going though all of this, I hope Panzer managed to puke it all up quickly and recovers well
    :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Chrispooky12 likes this.
  28. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

How is he now? This is so scary. I hope he vomited out whatever he swallowed and then absorbed very little, if any, of it. It’s definitely very toxic to cats. I pray he will be okay.

Chrispooky12 likes this.
  29. Chrispooky12

He has been sleeping in my lap for the most part. I skipped his shot & he was 71@+15/73@+17. He puked shortly after the +17 test. I didn't see advil particles in it,just chicken for testing & food. He doesn't want Spook around, he tried to lay with him in the chair & Panzer hit him & hissed at him & Spook jumped down. He either wants to lay alone or with me.

Carole & Indigo likes this.
  30. Chrispooky12

Thank you I hope so too.

31. Chrispooky12

I hate to skip his nightly pumpkin & his MiraLax tonight but I think it's best not to mix other stuff with the advil. He had MiraLax @+6 AMPS so once for today is just going to have be enough. I hope this is gone & out of his system by tomorrow because I have to work on Monday well I work every day next week Wed being my long day ugh! I know I was probably still feeling the effects of the anesthesia & that's why I got up & left the advil out but damn I better not lose my baby, I will never forgive myself

32. Carole & Indigo

Carole & Indigo Well-Known Member

I can’t imagine how you’re feeling my heart goes out to you, we are all just doing the best we can and we are only human. :bighug:
    Were you able to get any Slippery Elm into him? It can help protect the stomach lining and mucus membranes, keep him hydrated and it’s good for poops since he missed his Miralax. I mix with warm water until it is good and slimy and the add to meals. My guy does not seem to notice with food but won’t take it on it’s own.

Chrispooky12 likes this.
  33. Chrispooky12

I didn't try today but I'm going to put it in his other half of baby food that he gets after he eats his probiotic. He just pooped a small amount & peed as well.

Carole & Indigo likes this.
  34. Chrispooky12

Panzer refused his fancy feast even with fortiflora & parmesan cheese on it he licked the water out of it though. I offered him take BFF weruva chicken duck & turkey take a chance. He ate half of a 3oz can & I put the juices from the food on it. He ate all of it...he seems to hold the food down for about 4hrs & then he pukes. I'm taking him to bed with me & hopefully I can get a few hours of sleep.

35. Chrispooky12

Shot time is in one hour, he hasn't puked but we are up & laying on the kitchen floor. Should I skip again? 440am here shot is at 6am