12/1 Tessa AMPS 370 +4 137 Fast drop?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by tessa's mom, Dec 1, 2022.

1. tessa's mom

tessa's mom Member

Last thread: https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/11-30-tessa-amps-400-higher-bg-at-night.271321/

I upped her insulin to 1.25 units this morning and I am seeing a big and fast drop. She was groomed today at 8am (1 hour after getting her insulin) and I expected to see high numbers because of that but they are dropping and continue to drop every hour.

Should I be concerned? Should I give her some food now or wait until her normal meal time which is in 1 hour?

I'm worried that I maybe I went over the 1.25 units, I don't think I did but it's possible and I'm neurotic lol.

Attaching her Libre graph from the past 24 hours so you can see how big and fast of a drop it is:

[​IMG]

2. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Did she get food between AMPS and +4? I would feed a little LC now.
    Do you have a regular meter as a back-up? The Libre can give some wonky readings especially in lower numbers and it would be good to have a back-up to verify her BG.

tessa's mom likes this.
  3. tessa's mom

tessa's mom Member

She was fed with her insulin and got a low carb treat when she got back in from the groomer. I'll go ahead and give her lunch now.

Yes, I do have a backup meter, she's hiding from me right now (probably upset about the groom) but I'll try to get a manual reading on my lunch break.

4. Bandit's Mom

You want to feed her a small meal at +2 and also at +4. Use food to flatten the curve - reduce sharp drops.
    Using Food to Manipulate the Curve

tessa's mom likes this.
  5. tessa's mom

tessa's mom Member

Oh wow, thank you, I had no idea! Tessa is gonna be excited, she loves to eat lol. I'm not sure how to do this at night, I can give a meal at +2 for sure but not +4, I'll be sound asleep by then.

Will I have to do this forever?

Also, the statement "however, a caregiver better pay close attention when using food to manipulate a curve or it can become risky business" makes me really nervous.

6. tessa's mom

tessa's mom Member

Okay, I did manage to get a reading on a ReliOn Premier Classic. It said 137. Libre is saying 156. Could that be a difference in the location? The ReliOn was on her ear, obviously. The Libre is on her right side, near the shoulder blade.

7. tessa's mom

tessa's mom Member

Well I guess I don't have to worry about her dropping too low today because her BG is already back up to 400+. Her body does NOT like getting those low numbers :(

8. Bandit's Mom

There is a bit of a lag between the ReliOn and the Libre. Also that is within the 15-20% difference you see between meters.

As she sees lower numbers more often, her body will slowly get used to them.

9. tessa's mom

tessa's mom Member

Thank you! The vet wasn't alarmed by the fast drop yesterday. She wants me to move to 1.5 units but I'm going to stick with the TR dosing schedule and keep her on 1.25 units today and tomorrow and then move up to 1.5 on Sunday unless something happens that leads me to believe that's a bad idea.

Kyle & Simon (GA) likes this.
  10. Bandit's Mom

In TR, you hold doses with blue nadirs for at least 8 cycles. I would give her 6 cycles after yesterday's AM one to clear the bounce and see where she lands after.

tessa's mom likes this.
  11. tessa's mom

tessa's mom Member

Thank you! I cannot believe I missed that part of TR dosing. I read through it again today and I'll read through it again before I up her dose.

She had another fast drop today so I gave her some extra food to slow it down but I don't know if it helped.

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  12. Bandit's Mom

Good to see more blues and yellows on her SS :)

Btw, please start a new thread. This one's a few days old now. Thanks!

tessa's mom likes this.