? 12/21 Abby Question re: possible travel

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by SDAbby, Dec 22, 2020.

1. SDAbby

SDAbby Member

Hi, I test using AT and Abby has been mostly blues (with some greens) while on a dose drop for about a week. At the end of this week, I am supposed to head up to join 2 family members for the holidays and I am wondering if Abby's numbers continue how they are currently if I should leave Abby at our house without insulin for a few days and/or put Abby through 30 minute car ride stress to go with me (we did this at Thanksgiving - which is the week she was yellow/pink numbers...stress re: new environment/people/animals/etc and Abby hates car rides of any length - they almost always result in a bath for her). My roommate will be home if Abby stays home so can test at least once a day and make sure she has fresh wet food, but my roommate isn't home consistently enough to ensure Abby is safe during cycle and/or gets shots at exact time Abby needs them. I could also make the 30 minute drive back and forth twice a day to keep Abby on dose drop; however, I wouldn't be home to make sure she doesn't drop unexpectedly during her cycle (which makes me very nervous). I keep going back and forth on the best approach. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/posts/2702369/

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

How long will you be gone?

3. SDAbby

SDAbby Member

4 days if Abby stays home; 10 days if Abby makes the trip (it took Abby a few days to calm down when we made thanksgiving trip so I want her to have a few calmish days before return trip home).

4. SDAbby

SDAbby Member

I know every cat is different and there is no way of knowing for sure, but if it is unlikely that a drop dose could take Abby hypo at this point, I am more than happy to make the return trip twice a day to continue dose shots (just wouldn’t be able to get +2 or mid cycle shots). I feel like Abby is doing pretty well so the last thing I want to do is mess up her progress.

5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

A few days off insulin probably won't hurt her at this point. I'd also worry she wouldn't eat as much with you not home.

SDAbby likes this.