? 12/24 - GIDEON BLUE - AMPS=136, +6=104,PMPS=92, +3=85, +5=88, +8=101

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Shiloh567, Dec 24, 2020.

1. Shiloh567

Shiloh567 Member

https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB...21-5-97-pmps-111-2-84-3-77-5-72-7-106.240416/

Gideon Blue has been receiving 0.1 units over the past few days. Last night he dipped to 64, so this AM, we gave him no insulin. I am hoping we are on the right track and didn't take him off of insulin too early.
    Only time will tell. The worse that can happen is we go back to giving a tad of insulin until he is completely ready to have none.

Should my goal be to have all BG readings be less than 125?

JOJI and Kit likes this.
  2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Actually you need to give the drop dose. First count how many drops in your .1. For a strong remission you want to keep him on a drop for as long as possible.

3. Shiloh567

Shiloh567 Member

Ok. Tonight, I will try to give him a drop

4. tiffmaxee

Can you count how many drops in your .01?

5. Shiloh567

Shiloh567 Member

I will have to give it a try.

tiffmaxee likes this.
  6. tiffmaxee

Everybody’s is different. Your next dose would be have of that or a drop.

7. tiffmaxee

8. Shiloh567

Shiloh567 Member

Thank you, but neither my husband not I can seem to go any lower than 1/8th unit, which seems to have one drop in it.

9. tiffmaxee

Well, if it’s just a drop, then it’s time for an OTJ trial.

10. tiffmaxee

OTJ Instructions

Start the trial on the next green pre shot.

If he/she is green at your normal test times, no need to test further until the next PS time. Just feed small meals and go about your day. If he/she is blue at your normal PS, feed a small meal and test again after about 3-4 hours. If his/her number is lower 3-4 hours after a meal, then the pancreas is working!

Post every day so we can monitor your progress and see if any tweaks are needed. He/she may have a sporadic blue number. Don't panic but post before you decide whether to shoot so we can have a discussion.

After l4 days of no insulin, we have a party!

Sometimes the trial doesn't work the first time and we have to give a little more support in the form of resuming insulin. It's not the end of the world if that happens; we just give him/her the support needed. Our goal is a strong remission and it's better to take our time to get that than to rush into remission just to have it fail later on.

Once he/she is through the trial successfully, you enter a new phase. Your cat is still diabetic but has now become diet-controlled. Continue feeding low carb food in the manner successful for your kitty. If you decide to change his/her feeding schedule, let your meter be your guide to the best times to feed. Avoid medications with sugar in them and steroid medications unless they are medically essential. Continue testing blood glucose weekly for the first month and then monthly forever. It's a good idea to weigh him/her monthly. Weight should remain stable. If he/she seems "off" or sick, or is showing signs of diabetes (excessive drinking, eating, urinating, weight loss), test his/her blood glucose right away. Keep the teeth and gums clean and healthy; dental issues can bring a cat out of remission. If you see rising blood glucose numbers, it's time for a visit to the vet!

Good luck with the trial!

11. tiffmaxee

12. tiffmaxee

13. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

I would continue to give one drop until you can get green AM and PM pre-shots more often than not.

It hasn't been that long since he earned his last reduction...try to hold him up as long as you can so that when he goes into remission it'll be as strong a remission as possible.

If you hurry it..it's possible you'll be back...don't want that to happen! As much as we enjoy hearing from you...try to be patient with those numbers...the greens will come...just give him time...

Merry Christmas eve!

14. tiffmaxee

Even with an AT and a drop under 68? Should she increase carbs to keep over 68?

15. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Unfortunately, we don't have a good idea what "mostly in the healthy range of a cat (50-80) on a human meter" means in the AT. Reminder: *earning* reductions and starting OTJ trials. Most of our data with kitties going OTJ is on human meters.

You could try what we call a "food trial" for a few days. Feed several small meals, and see if his numbers stay low or if they trend upwards. Sort of a pre trial trial. ;) If all you were giving was a drop and you were there long enough the higher depot was gone, and went under 68, that leaves just a few options. One is to feed a slightly higher carb food to help prevent drops, one is to try the food trial.

16. tiffmaxee

17. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

The third option is to give him more time at this dose by continuing to give a drop until he’s had three BGs below 68 on separate days. The one ? on this is on a human meter, we use three drops between 40-50 on separate days or one drop below 40; we don’t have similar guidance for the AT.

We don’t have an equivalent BG for the lower end (e.g. such as 40 on a human meter). You can’t just arbitrarily pick a number that is ten mg/dL as we use with a human meter because 58 on an AT does not equate to 40 on a human meter. So I’d be judicious and careful and maybe use three drops below 68 but if it’s less than, maybe 65, it might be time to try a different option like shooting a drop once a day.

I’d still do the food trial Wendy suggested. His SS just doesn’t seem OTJ-ready to me and I’m afraid any remission won’t “stick” with BGs this high.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2020
  18. tiffmaxee

Do you have a human meter and if not would you get one? That way we can figure out what to do better. I would also feed at least 10% if you decide to try the drop dose longer. He’s so close I would hate to start a trial and have it fail.

Marje and Gracie likes this.