12/26 Jazzy at ER vet

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Cheryl & Jazzy, Dec 26, 2020.

1. Cheryl & Jazzy

Cheryl & Jazzy Well-Known Member

Well, Mr Jazzy has landed himself at the emergency vet. He's stayng the night. He decided it was a good idea to get into some chocolate :(. Totally my fault, I left some baked goods on top of the toaster oven, and forgot them there while doing our Christmas with my parents. Heard a commotion, Jazzy and Leonard came running out of the kitchen and there was the tray of cookies all over the floor.
    I cleaned everything up but didn't see a chocolate macaron half eaten and all wet under the microwave until about 1.5 hours later.
    We didn't know which cat got it, so we checked Jazzy and his BG was 128. Also figured it was him based on previous thievery. :( Then he had diarrhea too. I called the vet and they said to bring him in.
    Based on his vitals and all the information I gave them, they figure he's going to be fine. They were going to try and give him liquid charcoal (I think) to bind any chemicals he may have left in there so he doesn't absorb anymore. And he will have some medication when he comes home. I could've brought him home, but for the extra bit of money I felt it was safer to leave him there for the night.
    They did a BG check at my request and it rose up to 151. Couldve been stress, because as they pointed out, he was not happy. Go figure. Or it could've been from his little bit of contraband.
    I made sure they weren't going to give him any dry food or anything other than pate.
    I gotta say it was a long wait out in the cold because my husband had already left for work so he had the car :nailbiting:. My dad showed up after about an hour and a half so I could at least sit in the car, because I wasn't leaving until I had what I needed to know from the vet.
    Sorry for the long post. That was my day today. Just keeping an eye on Leonard to make sure he isn't acting strange at all.
    I hope everyone who celebrates had a wonderful and safe Christmas, and hoping all the sugar kitties are safe too :bighug:

2. thebigfuzz

thebigfuzz Well-Known Member

:bighug::bighug::bighug:

What a day! I hope it wasn’t too cold :nailbiting:

Cheryl & Jazzy likes this.
  3. Katherine&Ruby

Katherine&Ruby Well-Known Member

Cheryl, I literally was thinking to myself this evening how I hadn't received a cheery message from you today and wondered if you were ok. Now I know! Funny premonition, eh? Who knew cats liked chocolate? :p Hope Jazzy will be ok and he'll go back to being his old self-regulating cat-ness again. :bighug:

4. Colio

Colio Member

Sorry to hear about your day - sounds scary and cold. Glad that Jazzy is doing ok and hope he comes home tomorrow with everything out of his system.

Hope you have a good night tonight Cheryl :bighug:

5. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about your day. Charcoal is what they give. When Mocha was a baby I accidentally locked her in the living room overnight and she ate part of a chocolate heart and foil. I didn’t know how much time had passed so just watched her. She was fine. You did the right thing because you have about a two hour window. Good catch!

6. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Cheryl......I feel for you! Sheba ate the chocolate icing and 1/2 the cupcake I had defrosting on the table for my granddaughter (she was gluten free and I had made a special cake for her birthday.)
    When I came back into the kitchen there was no cake on the table...I eventually found it under the table and a sick looking Sheba.....she was a terrible food thief.
    I rang the ER vet and because it was too late to make her sick, I kept her at home. I sat up all night with her. Apart from vomiting and diarrhoea she was OK. I am now extremely careful with chocolate in the house as I have another food thief!
    I do hope Jazzy will be OK....I’m sure he will.

7. Cheryl & Jazzy

I'm glad Mocha was alright. It's scary when you look online to try and figure out what you need to know and everything ends with ""fatal". Obviously I knew this, but in the situation it hits a bit harder :(.
    I haven't heard anything from the vet, so no news is good news

8. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Cheryl ( that's my sister's name)
    Was just reading your post, poor Jazzy , by the way he is adorable
    I'm glad he's going to be ok
    You must have been freezing standing outside

9. Cheryl & Jazzy

I'm happy Sheba was alright. It's scary. Jazzy hasn't vomited but did have diarrhea. These little thieves are worse than any dog o_O

10. Cheryl & Jazzy

Thank you, he is adorable :)
    It was alright for about an hour, after that I was shivering. Lol. I was more irritated that Jazzy actually had to wait out in the cold for about 20 minutes before he could go in. :( I'm glad I had a thick towel wrapped around his carrier.

11. Bron and Sheba (GA)

They are much worse than dogs as they can get up on benches! My current boy Harry is a shocker.....he has eaten onions which was a trip to the ER...they never seem to do it in normal hours...and lemon icing/ cake which is also poisonous for cats. Also got into my cooking several times when my back was turned. He’s quite partial to scones! I now put him out in the outdoor cattery when I cook.

Please let us know how Jazzy goes.

12. Cheryl & Jazzy

It seems Jazzy loves all kinds of things he should not :( This dude is going to be the death of me, I swear. Lol.

13. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

That's awful poor baby. Good thing you had that towel with you.
    I'm glad he will be home tomorrow :cat:

14. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Oh gosh I’m so sorry to hear Jazzy was a naughty boy. Smart taking him to the ER. I’m sure he will be doing much better tomorrow.

15. katy and mo (GA)

katy and mo (GA) Member

Oh Cheryl that sounds so stressful but you did the right thing! My boy got into our fresh bread on Christmas day :blackeye:
    I'm glad the outlook is good for Jazzy. He will regret his thievery for sure :bighug::bighug:

16. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm glad you were able to get him to the ER. I'm sure he'll be home today and be okay. Don't panic if his numbers are high today. It may take a little time for them to come back down. I hope Leonard is doing okay too. Sending prayers. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

17. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Luci is a big time food thief too. She's eaten many a chocolate - only leaving the damaged wrappers behind as proof. When I ask her about it she looks at me as if to say 'Who?' Me? Are YOU LOOKING AT ME? And then wanders off...as if it wasn't her at all...and I should look elsewhere for the culprit...I've posted the wrappers here before...she's terrible at getting into contraband.

One thing I did learn from her many episodes of eating chocolates and other things - the chocolate that is used in most candy and baked goods these days contains very little real cocoa - if you look at the package the percentage of real chocolate is nearly non-existent and in many cases it's chocolate 'flavoring' not even real chocolate...so hopefully that's what was in the mangled macaroon...its really hard to keep everything away from those who are determined to have them all the time, every time...check out the label.

Hope he'll be back at home with you today feeling much better!

18. Cheryl & Jazzy

His contraband of choice was home made macaroons. I use dry cocoa powder to make them. Checked the label when I found what he had done. It doesn't even say on it what the percentage of cocoa is, which was frustrating. The vet looked it up online so she could find out.

19. JaxBenji

JaxBenji Well-Known Member

Oh Cheryl :bighug::bighug::bighug: I'm so sorry this happened but so glad that Jazzy is going to be okay. You are such a good mama bean getting him into the vet :bighug: On Halloween, my kids ate half of a snickers bar so i put the other half in a plastic bag and left it on the kitchen table over night...well, Benji my civvie opened up (um, ate through the plastic) to get to the snickers. He only had a little bit and I knew it was milk chocolate so we didn't end up taking him in but clearly cats getting into chocolate happens to all of us :bighug: Can't wait to hear when you get to bring him home :bighug:

20. Cheryl & Jazzy

I'm glad Benjie was ok. He's Jazzy's doppelganger if I remember correctly. :)These guys are just determined, aren't they? I woke up this morning to a brand new bag of treats all chewed up and about 6 pieces left. :banghead:

JaxBenji likes this.
  21. Judy and Freckles

Judy and Freckles Well-Known Member

Yup, Freckles was constantly getting into contraband. Even stole toast right out of the toaster. Bread is now stored in the oven and there’s been more than one occasion where I forgot and ended scraping off melted plastic off of the oven racks. :rolleyes:

22. Bron and Sheba (GA)

The cocoa powder is high in theobromine which is poisonous to cats. So is dark chocolate and baking chocolate.
    How is Jazzy now?

23. Cheryl & Jazzy

Jazzy is fine now. He came home from the vet the next morning. I felt it was safer to leave him overnight, just in case, because it was actual cocoa powder and not just fake chocolate. But he's all good now :)

Judy and Freckles likes this.
  24. Cheryl & Jazzy

That probably doesn't smell the greatest. Lol. The things we have to do to keep these babies out of trouble ;)

Judy and Freckles likes this.
  25. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Fantastic! Such good news!