12/3 Jack 159@AMPS-holding at 7u

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Jack & Mopem'sMom, Dec 3, 2022.

1. Jack & Mopem'sMom

Jack & Mopem'sMom Well-Known Member

Well, yesterday I stated we would go to 7.5units if I didn't see blue numbers. Jack-Jack the crazy cat decided to throw an 89 at me for his PMPS last night. I am assuming he didn't eat what I left out for him while I was out at work. Technically we should have reduced to 6.5 units then, due to his lower than 90 number, but considering he ate prime filets with some kibble on top and mixed in, I stuck to 7. This morning we had 159 @ the AMPS and prime filets again for breakfast (because heaven forbid he eat any of the multiple cans of pate I open every day) so we again stayed at 7units. I don't know what to do anymore. I know we are not following the accepted protocol, but it seems like maybe we are seeing some better and more consistent numbers on the 7 units with his ridiculous filet addiction. When he eats the pate, we go lower and I have no choice but to lower the dose, but with the 100% pure stubbornness Jack exhibits, I'm kind of OK with the slight derivation from protocol. Any thoughts on this, anyone?

In other news, no blood tests scheduled yet at vet clinic- surprise, surprise. I swear I'm just going to have to take a few hours off work, show up there in person and make a nuisance of my self to get an appointment. And I tried my sister's vet clinic (could not get her vet, but another Dr in the clinic) and was seriously under- impressed. Less than 5 (seriously, no exaggeration) combined minutes with her and the tech (who came in first) spent on exam, diagnosis and meds. So, the search for a new vet clinic for Jack continues. There is a possibility west of where I am, but it would take almost two hours one way, and Jack does not travel well, so I'm very hesitant to even try. SIGH....

Yesterday's post: https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/12-2-jack-294-amps.271405/#post-3021069

2. Virginie & Chewie (GA)

Virginie & Chewie (GA) Well-Known Member

Let’s tag some experienced members for you, hopefully they can advise on the stubbornness-modified protocol you are following with Jack. Hang in there, you are doing a great job trying to get him better :bighug:

@Bandit's Mom @tiffmaxee @Wendy&Neko @FrostD

3. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

I'm sorry I don't have time to dig - you are following SLGS because still trying to get rid of the dry?

You test enough and have been doing this long enough, you can consider a modification to SLGS. The most common one is usually reductions below 75-80 instead of 90, but others have said two times under 90, or two times under 80. It's really whatever you think will work best for him; if he doesn't seem to hold reductions below 90, then tweak that (or go full TR if diet allows).

He does look good at this dose, but you are correct that there would have been quite a few reductions in the mix. You can also try a 0.25U reduction instead of a full 0.5U - many times we try the 0.25U reduction to fine-tune the numbers a bit.

4. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

You didn't say which prime fillets he's eating, do you know the carb %? Looks like most are in the upper MC/lower HC range?

If you were to modify SLGS for Jack and change the reduction point (which you can do now as you have enough data), he might still have earned a reduction. He's seen 71 and 80 on different days, as well as that 89 last night. You could try that 0.25 unit reduction suggestion. Just might bring his nadirs up a touch, which is what you want.

5. Jack & Mopem'sMom

Yes, he refuses to eat only FF or Friskies pate. I have tried a bunch of different things for his diet switch, to no lasting success. Thanks for the .25u advice

6. Jack & Mopem'sMom

OK, will try the .25 dose, we are down to 6.5 after yesterday. Thanks for teh advice