12/30 Moe: amps=80; vet visit tomorrow; PMPS=71

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Erin and Moe (GA), Dec 30, 2020.

1. Erin and Moe (GA)

Erin and Moe (GA) Well-Known Member

JOJI and Kit likes this.
  2. JOJI and Kit

JOJI and Kit Well-Known Member

nice start for moe. :D
    enjoy your days off, erin.

3. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Sorry you had such a long day at work! Sheesh...whatever is there to do at school when it's a holiday week?

Nice start for Moe!

4. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Nice start for Moe. I hope he surfs safely today. Yay for two days off.

5. Erin and Moe (GA)

I work in the facilities design and construction office, so there’s always stuff happening. Construction never stops!

6. JaxBenji

JaxBenji Well-Known Member

Nice start for Moe :D Good luck with work :bighug:

7. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Ah! That makes sense...someone is always wanting to make improvements :)

8. Erin and Moe (GA)

Moe’s glucose has been in the mid 60s all day. I got home early and was surprised that he wasn’t coming to greet me. Had to coax him out of the bedroom for an afternoon snack and he was super wobbly in the rear legs. Once he got to the bowl he ate well, but had to stop and rest. When I palpated his knees and hips, he growled and pulled away. So we have an 8:00 am appointment tomorrow to see what’s going on. Hopefully (!?) just worsening arthritis, but I expect we will get a blood work up to check all his other vitals.

In the meantime... @Wendy&Neko do you think it would be okay to give Moe some gabapentin tonight? We have some from another cat, who is about 11 pounds and getting 1 ml twice a day. Not sure what kind of dose to give, if it’s even safe for him.

9. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Most acros I know have been on, or at least tried gabapentin. Neko was on a gaba trial for a while - didn't help, just made her sleepy. I think pain meds are ECID. Gaba does work for some. She started at 25 mg gaba for a week, then tried 50 mg for a week. Bupe was better for Neko longer term. How many mg per ml in the liquid you have?

10. Erin and Moe (GA)

50 mg/ml

11. Wendy&Neko

So looks like 1 ml might be OK. Note, I have no idea what the contraindictions for giving this med - would the vet office answer this question for you?

12. Erin and Moe (GA)

I don’t think they will, without seeing him and confirming there’s nothing else going on. He’s just eaten a bit of dinner, but is really struggling to walk. I lifted him onto the bed where we have a heated blanket and he’s just lounging and having a wash. His hips and knees are so bad!:(

13. Wendy&Neko

When you see the vet, try to find out if there is an acupuncture vet around. That really helped Neko. I've also heard several people say they had to give Adequan more frequently, so you might want to discuss that too with the vet. I am also a strong believer in pain relief for acros. Seems most need it at some point. Sounds like poor Moe is there now.

Bedding is important. Heated blankies are good. Steps/ramps up to beds/sofas may be needed. Neko spent most of her time on her memory foam bed.

Erin and Moe (GA) likes this.
  14. Erin and Moe (GA)

We’ve been looking at stairs for the bed; he’s been loving our heated blanket. I’ll start looking for a memory foam bed for him too.

I’ve got a list of questions / suggestions for the arthritis. Moe’s original vet at this practice was a certified acupuncturist. (She left the practice several years ago, so we never got to explore that with her. She was amazing and I really miss her.) I’ll ask about that as well tomorrow.

15. Erin and Moe (GA)

Pmps is 71, an hour later than usual.