12/31/2020 New Member with dosing question.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sue in Florida, Dec 31, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sue in Florida

Sue in Florida New Member

My name is Sue and my sugar cat is Newman. He is appx. 17 yrs.old, dx. in early Sept. 2020 with BG level in the 500's at the vet. Symptoms included extreme fatigue, wt. loss (4 lbs.) & increased water intake. He was started on 1 unit of Basaglar twice a day (I use a syringe with half unit markings to draw from the pen). He is on FF Classic pate and Friskies pate, along with Dr. Elsey's Lean Protein Chicken dry food. His only medical issue is that he has a bad tooth that needs to be removed, but the vet wanted his BG controlled first. I found the Feline Diabetes Facebook group and this site in early October. I've slowly been increasing his insulin based on home testing and has been at 2.5 units twice a day for over a month. Yesterday morning his amps was 118, so I didn't feel comfortable giving him any insulin and his amps this morning was 89. I did not give him any insulin this morning either. Am I correct in assuming that Newman has earned a decrease in insulin so I can still give it to him twice a day? And, how much do I decrease it by? I don't want him to become hypo overnight when I'm not watching him. Thanks much!

Ilianna and Socrates likes this.
  2. Shelley & Jess

Shelley & Jess Member

Hi Sue and Welcome to You and Newman!

I'm not a Lantus user and it's looking a little quiet around here right now.

Let me tag @Bron and Sheba (GA) - hopefully she'll be around a little later and can have a look at your spreadsheet.

3. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Hi Sue. Welcome. Since you are feeding dry food, a reduction has been earned by falling under 90. The new dose is 2.25 starting tonight. Congrats. You are doing a really good job of testing. If you can ditch the dry food you could follow TR and maybe get that tooth removed sooner.

Tomlin and Shelley & Jess like this.
  4. Sue in Florida

Thank you!

Shelley & Jess likes this.
  5. Sue in Florida

Thank you for the reply! I just read your reply, but normally give insulin at 6:30 a.m. & p.m., I took a chance and just gave Newman 2 units to be on the safe side (that was before I read your reply). I will keep checking his BG until I go to bed and see where we are at in the morning. Fortunately, he doesn't eat much dry food. I only put out 2T at a time and he would much rather eat the wet food that I add water to in order to make a slurry and leave the dry food. Thanks for the suggestion. Have a good evening!

6. Little Bit’s Mom

Little Bit’s Mom Member

Welcome, Sue! We live in Florida, too!

7. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Sorry I didn’t see the tag earlier but I see @tiffmaxee has helped you,
    Welcome Sue and Newman.......you have come to the best place for help for your kitty.
    Keep asking questions!

8. Sue in Florida

Hi! I just saw your post. Thank you for the welcome. It's nice to see another Floridian here. HAPPY NEW YEAR and wishes for a healthy and happy 2021!

Little Bit’s Mom likes this.
  9. Sue in Florida

Thank you! Everything worked out last night and this morning with Newman's BG numbers. It was quiet on the board last night since it was a holiday, to be expected. I just want Newman to have the best life possible. We've had him for 10 years (he's about 17 per the vet) and he showed up in our yard abused, missing most of his front teeth, ear mites, injury to face, hook worms, PTSD (he would hyperventilate & shut down if approached) and heartworm positive. He's a happy boy, purrs all the time and loves other animals, so I just want him to be the healthiest he can be. Happy New Year!

10. tiffmaxee

You have come t the right place! He’s lucky to have found you.

Critter Mom likes this.
  11. Sue in Florida

Thanks, but I'm the lucky one! He's been such a good role model and friend to the two other cats that were abandoned and found their way to our Kitty Bed & Breakfast. But, I wouldn't have it any other way. Rescued cats give such unconditional love and gratitude.

Critter Mom likes this.
  12. tiffmaxee

I agree. All mine have been rescues including my current two girls.

Sue in Florida likes this.
  13. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Welcome to FDMB!

One other suggestion. If you shot late this morning, your PM shot is due 12-hours after you injected this morning.

There is also a wealth of information about Basaglar/Lantus/Levemir on that insulin support group page. You may want to review the sticky notes at the top of the board.

Critter Mom likes this.
  14. Sue in Florida

Thanks! I think we are in good shape. Newman got his shot on time and reduced from 2.5 units to 2.25 units as was suggested. You are right, there is a wealth of info on this site in general as well as on the insulin support page. I’ve been doing a lot of reading since October when I joined! Very thankful for this group!

Critter Mom likes this.
  15. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Love the kitty house! :cat:

Mogs

Last edited: Jan 1, 2021
    Reason for edit: Typo.
  16. Sue in Florida

Thanks! I bought it at Aldi's thinking both of our cats would use it. Newman was only in it long enough
    for the photo op, but Elliott (our other rescue) has used it more. I think it reminds Newman of his carrier
    and decided it wasn't for him.

Critter Mom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.