15 year old cat just diagnosed with diabetes

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by motherbeth10, Dec 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. motherbeth10

motherbeth10 New Member

Hi my cat who is 15 was just diagnosed with diabetes just a few days ago. He has already lost about 6 lbs and he got his first dose of insulin yesterday. we have to give him fliuds as well which i have to start today. That will be a chalenge in its self. He is eating the diabete dry cat food now and he is not a big fan of wet food all the time. Everyone else thinks we should have just let him die but i'm not ready to give up on him. his organ are in good shape except for the glucose level which was 568 yesterday and today before that it was 577. any suggestions on what else we can do to help him?

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Is your kitty getting Vetsulin/Caninsulin? What is his dose? How often do you dose? Do you test his blood glucose at home?

Please go post on the main forum first with answers to the questions I asked. More people will see your post there.

3. Ann & Liz

Ann & Liz Member

Hi, Lila is 16y and was diagnosed in Sept this year. It is demanding but you will be rewarded by seeing an improvement when treatment gets underway. There is a lot of support here for you. Others will give you more detailed information, but certainly we would not have done anything else other than try to learn as much as possible and keep on keeping on. Your efforts will be rewarded and you will develop an even closer bond with your precious sugar kitty.

4. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome. Glad you aren't listening to "everyone else" and let him die. Smokey had diabetes as well as other issues for over 6 yrs when he crossed at age 18 1/2 from a stroke.

There is a lot of informationals here and people who live this disease 24/7.

Home testing is paramount to keeping kitty safe. Once you have that down working on the food issue will make quite a difference. But MUST home test before attempting that.

Again welcome aboard. The best place to be for feline diabetes.

Critter Mom likes this.
  5. motherbeth10

motherbeth10 New Member

Hi

Thank u I needed to hear that

6. motherbeth10

motherbeth10 New Member

We are not home testing yet. We will be taking him back in Tuesday to see how the insulin and fluids have done. They will check him over with the blood work as well. He is already starting to look better since just eating the diabete dry cat food he will eat wet not that much of it.

7. motherbeth10

motherbeth10 New Member

No we do not test him at home at least not yet. He is on 2 units twice a day at least till Tuesday when he goes back to the vet.the human insulin nph

8. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Glad to hear he is looking better. There are 2 kinds of dry food that are lower in carbs than the diabetic food. It could make a difference. Just ask about it and we can let you know where to get it.

9. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Please consider home testing of blood glucose. Not all vets encourage it but it's the only way to know if a dose you're planning to give is too high. NPH is a fast-acting insulin that can drop blood glucose rapidly and you need data on how your kitty handles it. A hypo episode can be deadly.

10. motherbeth10

motherbeth10 New Member

I think we will do that next but for right now he needed something to be done fast. He is doing a lot better just being on it two days. Tuesday we will see where his levels are and go from there.

11. motherbeth10

motherbeth10 New Member

The vet was trying to save us some money I believe so we could get him back to a healthy situation as he was so dhyrated and was not doing well at all. The first vet he went to did nothing for him he would have just died had I not taken him someplace else. The first vet just said change his diet and. Come back in two weeks.

12. motherbeth10

motherbeth10 New Member

We have him on Purina me diabete cat food.

13. motherbeth10

motherbeth10 New Member

It has 50 in protein. And 13 for carbs in it

14. motherbeth10

motherbeth10 New Member

Thank u for all the help I ma very great up for it

Critter Mom likes this.
  15. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

we are here for you if you need us.

Diabetes is not a death sentence and very treatable. If glad you are seeing a good improvement already! We have all been where you are. With the right treatment and monitoring remission is even possible for some cats. Mine had numbers in the 400-500's and she was able to go into remission after four months. (Hopefully staying that way for a long time to come .)

My cat is a kibble lover too, although will eat wet. We give her pate wet food and Young Again Zero carb dry food. If you are interested in trying the YA food (significantly less in carbs than the prescription food) you can ask the company for a free sample of it at Youngagainpetfood.com.

16. motherbeth10

motherbeth10 New Member

Does it have high protein in it? The diabete. cat food has 50 for that and carbs are 13

17. JanetNJ

54% protien and less than 1% carb.

18. JanetNJ

19. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi @motherbeth10 -

How are things going with your little kitty?

Mogs

20. CassWTribby

CassWTribby Member

21. CassWTribby

CassWTribby Member

Hi there,

My cat Tribby and I are in a similar situation. She is 15 also and has lost weight. She's on caninsulin which we just started Monday. I was at the vet a few times due to chronic diarrhea which is also being treated.
    People think I'm crazy for treating her diabetes and I reply " diabetes doesn't have to be a life sentence" and that seems to satisfy them for a bit.

Not sure where you are located but there is a web page in Canada petpharmacy.ca where diabetic supplies are 1/2 the cost then from the vets.

Good luck with everything! hope he's feeling better soon.

Cass and Tribby

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  22. motherbeth10

motherbeth10 New Member

He has been off insulin for 31/2 weeks and he is doing very well. He still eats the diabete dry food everyday.

23. motherbeth10

motherbeth10 New Member

He is doing very well and is off insulin

Sootyca likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.