? 19 Feb - High BG, what are we doing wrong?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by SwedishLiz, Feb 19, 2023.

1. SwedishLiz

SwedishLiz Member

Freya has been on her reduced Lantus dose of 1.25 units BiD for almost 3 days now, but rather than see an improvement, her BG is getting even higher. I’m less inclined to think that this is as a result of a bounce as we’re not catching any lows at all.

Am I panicking unnecessarily or should I increase Freya’s insulin to 1.5 units tonight? Any help/advice gratefully received!

2. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

She could be bouncing from the 50s she saw a couple of days back. Bounces can take up to 3 days to clear. You might want to wait another day and see if she does that.

Also, like Wendy suggested, you want to reconfirm any low numbers with a second test. Sometimes bad strips, not enough blood etc can give false lows.

If you are following TR, you would reduce only if she drops below 50 with a human meter.

Link to previous post:
    https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/17-feb-freya-new-to-this-lantus-site.274277/

tiffmaxee and SwedishLiz like this.
  3. SwedishLiz

SwedishLiz Member

Thank you, I wasn’t aware that a bounce can last so long.

As Wendy suggested, we will retest if Freya gets any out of place readings just to be certain. I know it will take time
    for Freya’s BG to stabilise, but I was hoping to see some improvement by now & I’m just concerned as her BG
    doesn’t seem to be budging on this lower insulin dose.

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  4. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Numbers can be flat and high during bounces. Very annoying and frustrating, but nothing to be done but wait for them to clear. Newly diagnosed cats can be especially bouncy. As they get used to lower numbers, the bouncing reduces.

SwedishLiz likes this.
  5. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Hang in there. The green nadirs are a good sign. She’s not used to normal bg so she bounces when she gets there. Totally normal for most and terribly frustrating for us.

SwedishLiz likes this.
  6. SwedishLiz

SwedishLiz Member

Thank you, this makes perfect sense! We’re going to keep her dose unchanged for a while longer in the hope that things will start to stabilise soon, I just hate to see her struggling in the meantime…