? 2/10 Max - Better numbers, but vomiting!! HELP.

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Giomax, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Barbara & Uncle (GA)

Barbara & Uncle (GA) Well-Known Member

:bighug::bighug::bighug:

2. Giomax

Giomax Member

Here's a list of what they did and what they gave me to take home. His blood levels were all normal apart from an elevated BUN which they said may be due to dehydration, slightly elevated neutrophils, and high pancreatic numbers...I forget what they called them. High levels are 1100 and his were over 1400. They didn't give me a fluid bag to take home but Max went right over to his water bowl and is drinking nicely. Going to try giving him some more chicken baby food. 20190210_233854.jpg

3. Crista & Ming

Crista & Ming Well-Known Member

Do you plan to take him to your normal vet tomorrow?

I'd get a copy of the blood results to at least show your regular vet.

I can't say for sure if you can tell if Max has pancreatitis with those tests (perhaps someone else knows) but if he does have it, then it's definitely a good idea to have some tools in your cupboard for if and when Max might get another flare up of pancreatitis (so you can avoid going to the ER).

So get more cerenia, more buprenophine (that'll also help with the pain of Max's neuropathy), and fluids. When you see these familiar signs again, you have a variety of tools at your disposal. I really stress this. It's better to be prepared even if you think Max is okay, those tools can't hurt him - only help him.

Nemosmomma likes this.
  4. Crista & Ming

You can also try feeding Max soon after he settles down :)

Giomax likes this.
  5. Barbara & Uncle (GA)

Hope you and Max can have a peaceful night

Giomax likes this.
  6. Giomax

Giomax Member

I fed him 15 minutes ago, about a TBLS or two of chicken baby food mixed with water. I'm SO hoping he keeps it down!!

7. Crista & Ming

Paws crossed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Giomax and Barbara & Uncle (GA) like this.
  8. Nemosmomma

Nemosmomma Member

I know the Cerenia is a miracle for Nemo, so hoping it's the same for Max!!!

Barbara & Uncle (GA) and Giomax like this.
  9. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

How did they dx it without a snap or specfPL? You can’t use elevated amylase in cats to dx pancreatitis but some vets still (inaccurately) will.

Gill & George and Crista & Ming like this.
  10. Marje and Gracie

Yep...sounds like they used Amylase. Wrong!

From the Veterinary Information Network:

Gill & George likes this.
  11. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

Marje is our guru on pancreatitis (among other things). If you haven't already, please read her Primer on Pancreatitis.

Paws are crossed here that he keeps the baby food down. More vines on the way.

Giomax and Crista & Ming like this.
  12. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

So when we take our cats for possible pancreatitis do we ask for the specfPL? Just for future reference?

Giomax likes this.
  13. Giomax

Giomax Member

UPDATE: Max has been eating and keeping it down (unless he snuck off to puke very quietly somewhere, which I doubt). I haven't seen any vomit on the floor. He had some breakfast and I gave him his AM shot. AMPS was HI. Probably from no shot last night.

QUESTION: Do you think I need to take him to my regular vet? They could do a pancreatitis test and give us a definite answer, but we're already treating for pancreatitis so would there be a point to getting another diagnosis? All other values on blood test were normal save for a very slightly elevated white cell count and an elevated BUN (assumed to be from dehydration). No ketones. Max has antibiotics, pain meds and some anti-nausea. Should I skip a full visit and just get some more pain meds and anti-nausea meds in case we flare up again?

14. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

How many days pain/antinausea meds do you have?

I've not had personal experience with P'titis, but from others on here I've heard that if it is pancreatitis it's important to stay on top of the pain and nausea coming off to quickly can result in a relapse.
    I'm glad he's managed to keep his food down. Hope his numbers slide back down.

I don't know the answer to your question, hope someone can help you out with that.

15. Giomax

Giomax Member

He only has enough for a couple days. I'm definitely wanting to get more.

16. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

Perhaps you should ring your vet explain what happened and see whether they think it's worth testing for Ptitis, you're probably going to need to speak to them to get more meds, and they may well want to see him before they prescribe anything.

Giomax likes this.
  17. Maymay

Maymay Member

Happy to hear he's eating and keeping his food down again. What an awful day you both had yesterday. Wishing Max a speedy recovery!

Giomax likes this.
  18. Rosie & Bailey

Rosie & Bailey Well-Known Member

I'm glad the vomiting has stopped. Sending vines for complete healing.
    :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Giomax likes this.
  19. nslade001

nslade001 Well-Known Member

I'm glad to hear he's keeping food down! With love, Nikki

Giomax likes this.
  20. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

Nice update :bighug::bighug:

21. Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA)

Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA) Well-Known Member

Was worried about you guys last night, glad to see no more vomiting overnight!

I don't have experience with pancreatitis either, but my suggestion would be to call your regular vet to see if they'd give you more meds without taking him in. If not, then do a visit to both get meds and get the test. Just my two cents. Plus then they'd probably give you refills in the future without having to take him back, since they've already seen him for that issue. Plus, I'd really pursue getting some fluids to give at home and have them show you how if you've never done it before. I believe that Having fluids at home has saved me multiple ER visits over the years because I can then wait until the night/weekend is over to see my regular vet. Not always, of course!

22. Tom & Thomas (GA)

Tom & Thomas (GA) Member

Whew, what a crazy Sunday you two had!

Me, I'd feel better getting the diagnosis confirmed.

Hope this proves a much better day.

23. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Great news that he is keeping food down. I think I would want him to be tested correctly to know for sure. I am sure you have all ready put out a lot of $$ for the ER, but getting the DX confirmed and getting more pain meds and anti-nausea might not be a bad idea.

I hope you got some sleep last night. :bighug:

tiffmaxee likes this.
  24. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

That’s the best test. In an emergency situation it’s best to get the SNAP because you get immediate results. If it is positive you know it’s likely pancreatitis and the number is not important because even the SpecFPL is not 100% accurate. The only time the Spec is better is if in the gray zone the SNAP would register negative. The number you get on the test that’s sent out does not show how sick your pet is. At times Max would have a very high number but not act as sick as when he had lower numbers. With a very sick cat like her Max was I would bet the snap would be positive if he has pancreatitis. Diabetes and kidney disease can inflate the number on the test.

Marje and Gracie and Giomax like this.
  25. Giomax

Giomax Member

I can't believe they were out of stock on the snap tests! :arghh: I was so hoping to get one done.

Should I make a new thread with today's numbers and updates?

BTW, I called the ER vet I took him to last night and they said they will supply more Cerenia and Buprenex when I run out. I shouldn't have to make an appt. with my regular vet for it. Again I ask (since I'm very strapped on cash atm) is an absolute positive p-titis test essential right now or can I just continue to treat his symptoms at home?

26. Marje and Gracie

SpecfPL or snapfPL is fine. The specfPL gives you a specific number but it takes longer to get the results. The snap result is quick but it’s just a yay or nay.
    Here’s the thing about the tests specific to pancreatitis: they can be influenced by intestinal issues, cholangiohepatitis, triaditis, etc, For instance, I had a specfPL done twice on Gracie. The first was when she was diagnosed with diabetes even though she had no symptoms and the second was when she had cholangiohepatitis. Both indicated she had pancreatitis even though she never had one symptom. We followed each with an ultrasound and the pancreas was totally normal. Her issue was with the cholangiohepatitis.

If he’s eating well, not vomiting, no diarrhea....all is normal....I’d suggest continuing treatment and if it happens again or if his symptoms aren’t going away, try to get an ultrasound.

27. Barbara & Uncle (GA)

:bighug::bighug::bighug: for you and Max today :cat:

Giomax likes this.
  28. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I was going to write exactly what Marie said. Pancreatitis is treated according to symptoms. For Max that often meant only ondansetron or cerenia. Occasionally he needed buprenex and fluids and once I got flagyl for diarrhea because it was a weekend but never had to use it. If all returns to normal then all is good. If he doesn’t return to normal I would probably opt for an ultrasound and skip any more blood tests as lots of things can cause vomiting other than pancreatitis.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    Giomax likes this.