2/11 Yoyo AMPS 395,+4 273,+5 244,PMPS 310,+2 260,+4 174,+5 167,+8 178,

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Debra and Yoyo, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Debra and Yoyo

Debra and Yoyo Well-Known Member

2. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Nice numbers last night. I hope Yoyo clears the bounce soon.

3. Debra and Yoyo

He is starting the day with a bang...395:banghead:

4. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

He’s doing his YoYo thang :cool:

Down you go, buddy!

Gill & George likes this.
  5. Debra and Yoyo

How did your Kitty do when you had the I131 done? I dislike so much giving Yo the Felimazole tablets. So many bad things can happen with that medicine.

6. Marje and Gracie

He did fantastic. He was only there three days. They spoiled him rotten....it was much harder on us than him. We just did not want him on that drug because of the long term side effects. He had the I131 at ten and lived to 18. I hope I never have another hyperT cat but if I do, I’ll do the I131 immediately.

7. Debra and Yoyo

Wow...that was fantastic! The doctors tell me that even if I did the I131 that he may need medicine. I am assuming they meant synthroid medicine for a slow thryroid since the thryroid would have been inactive. I'm not sure Yoyo would make three days without me at his age and everything that he has gone thru. He hates going to the vet!!! And I have never found a hospital that is loving and caring....you are very fortunate!

8. Rosie & Bailey

Rosie & Bailey Well-Known Member

Nice dip into blue last night. Hope Yoyo gives you more of that.

9. Tom & Thomas (GA)

Tom & Thomas (GA) Member

If you might reconsider, check out what Dr Lisa Pierson has to say about treating hyperthyroidism. Here, as in so much else, she is very cogent and persuasive.

I hated that Thos had to stay in the isolation ward till his poop was no longer radioactive. Especially since I couldn't explain that he'd be back home soon. I was, however, able to bring in some of his favorite things, including the little yurt he likes to curl up in when the world isn't quite right. They also let me send along his regular food. On the condition that none of this could come back with us. It was totally worth it to have hyperthryoidism out of the picture, and presumptively cured.

There is a small chance that a cat goes hypothyroid after the I-131. Which means taking thyroxine supplements. Still better than hyperthyroidism and having to manage the methimazole.

10. Marje and Gracie

I agree with Tom on all counts; our kitty was not happy at the vet although he was really a sweetheart but I was worried at how he would do without us. He had no issues. Yes, they can become hypothyroid but it’s really no big deal to give them the medication for that. It does not have any long term side effects and you can also get it compounded.

11. Debra and Yoyo

When your cats @Tom & Thomas and @Marje and Gracie had this treatment I am assuming that you could not touch the cat during the stay at the hospital? So I am also assuming that you don't get to see your cat for a couple of days? Yoyo will be 15 years old in August. I am not sure if he is too old for the I131 treatment. Not sure if I would be opening another can of worms. I want the best for him and I honestly don't know what it is at this time.

12. Tom & Thomas (GA)

Tom & Thomas (GA) Member

Yes, that's the really hard part. The cat is in an isolation ward where only hospital personnel can enter, and you can't even take a peek in. They did take very good care of my little guy. The person looking after him rang me up every day to talk about how he was doing, and took suggestions for making Thos more comfortable.

On the way back, Thos made his displeasure at the whole affair very clear. But once we were home he was quickly back to his normal self. Except extra clingy for a few hours.

By the nature of the disease it is mostly geriatric cats who are getting the I-131 treatment. I was just glancing back at my hospital's web pages and they have successfully treated cats as old as 21.

The treatment itself is a single injection in the thigh. Follow-up is just retesting T4 levels, which can be handled through your regular vet.

13. Debra and Yoyo

I was reading about the treatment and it said that when you take your cat home you can't hug your cat or let the cat sleep in your bed for two weeks as saliva, urine and feces are contaminated from the radiation. Is this what happened when you took your cat home?

14. Tom & Thomas (GA)

Tom & Thomas (GA) Member

After we got back Thos stomped around the house for a while, complaining about everything. Then he plastered himself against my side. I wasn't going to push him away.

I figure those guidelines largely reflect what the lawyers call an abundance of caution. After all, the amount of radioactivity that is passed had to drop below a certain level before the cat could leave the hospital.

I wore gloves when scooping litter for the next few days. And took it right out to the garage. We all hate closed doors so there was no separating the cats. Plus, they have shared litter boxes. I tried to suppress the rampant food bowl tourism for a while.

Maybe I could have done more, and I worried about all this a bit, but I wanted Thos back to his normal life. Since he was doubtlessly suffering separation anxiety, no way I was going to limit quality time together.

15. Marje and Gracie

Correct...you can’t gave any contact with him. Our experience was the same as Tom’s....daily calls with updates and we could call anytime. I was worried Gus wouldn’t eat but he chowed down. Three days went by fast.

They didn’t give us these limitations possibly because Gus needed so little radiation that by the time he came home, he was pretty “clean”. They did tell us to wash our hands after handling him or scooping the box and to take the scooped waste out immediately.