2/14 Lax'aire ingredients: Baker's Blend Syrup

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Tena and Curry(GA), Feb 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tena and Curry(GA)

Tena and Curry(GA) Well-Known Member

Happy Valentine's Day to you all!!

And here's a bit of "sweet" information about a product used for hairballs and bm issues.

So I'd been giving Curry lax'aire for BM issues. She does get Miralax but only had a BM every 4 days. The lax'aire worked but I had noticed her bg's trending up. In fact, one day her numbers went up 30-40 points 1 hour after giving it to her. Yikes.

Lax'aire only lists the ingredients on the package as: Liquid petrolatum, cod liver oil, soybean oil, peptonized iron in a palatable base. Nothing listed about a sugar based product.

So I called Pfizer and asked. They do put "baker's blend syrup" in the product which is a malt sweetner. ohmygod_smile ohmygod_smile ohmygod_smile

Just sent my Vet an email about the product to alert him to the fact that it contains sugar.

I went online to research other products. Saw Laxatone Natural which has sorbitol as one of the last ingredients. I did buy it. And if I do give it to her, I'll give it along with a meal (1%) to slow the sorbitol's absorption rate. And since it is a low glycemic sugar, I'm hoping it won't spike her numbers like the Lax'aire did.

2. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

Thanks, Tena - good to know! It's so frustrating that companies can get away without listing every single ingredieng....grrrrr - huge pet peeve of mine!

Glad you and the girls are doing well!!

3. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Just be aware that sorbitol has laxative properties if you give too much!

4. Lydia & Sid & Jake(GA)

Lydia & Sid & Jake(GA) Well-Known Member

Wow, thanks for the info and for calling Pfizer to ask!! I read the ingredients on several containers of laxative and chose the laxaire because it didn't list sugar. Now I know! Sid doesn't need it anyway but good to know that it could spike his levels.

5. Ann & Maggie11 (GA)

Ann & Maggie11 (GA) Well-Known Member

Thanks for that info, Tena.
    Happy Valentine's Day to you and Curry.

6. mybuddybinks

mybuddybinks Well-Known Member

HAPPY HEART DAY TO SID, CURRY- AND YOU, TENA!!!!!!!

7. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Hey Tena, Thanks for posting this. How are the kitties doing? Happy Valentines' Day to you all!

Ella & Rusty

8. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

9. Tena and Curry(GA)

Tena and Curry(GA) Well-Known Member

Here are the ingredients in the products you provided.

Vetbasis
    Doesn't look like its being made anymore.

NaturVet
    Soybean Oil, Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil, Cod Liver Oil, Flaxseed Oil, dl-Alpha Tocopherol Acetate (Vitamin E), Sorbitol, Soy Protein, Chicken Flavor, Lecithin, Tuna Flavor, Maple Flavor, Beeswax, Methylcellulose, Chamomile and Catnip.

Excel Sugar free hairball remedy:
    Active Ingredients: Mineral Oil (Paraffinum Liquidum) (950 mg)
    Inactive Ingredients: Fish Oil, Lecithin, Malt Syrup, Mono and Diglycerides, Potassium Sorbate, Sorbic Acid (A Preservative), Water

Pro-Pet Sugar-free Hairball Eliminator
    Active Ingredients: (per tsp - 5g) Mineral Oil (950mg), Petrolatum (950mg), Methylcellulose (400mg). Inactive Ingredients: Glycerin, Sorbitol, Malt Powder, Malt Flavor, Seafood Flavor.

(Malt powder or malt flour is present in numerous baked goods where it imparts a natural sweetness.)

The Excel Sugar free hairball remedy has malt syrup in it....similar to the Lax'aire product.

I ordered the Laxatone Natural. Ingredients include:Soybean Oil, Hydrolyzed Vegetable Oil, Cod Liver Oil, Flaxseed Oil, Chicken Flavor, Vitamin E, Lecithin, Soy Protein, Sorbitol, Beeswax, Maple Flavor, Methylcellulose, and Chamomile.

I'll experiment with the product doing the hokey pokey (getting the glucose readings) w/Curry in terms of how it impacts her glucose.

I had read that one vet recommends giving 1 teaspoon of olive oil daily for a week and then 2-3 times per week there after. 1 teaspoon of olive oil is 40 calories. Too many calories for Miss Curry. My chunky monkey.....(my new loving term for my sweet furball when my vet said Curry was still a bit chubby at our last visit....and she's lost 3 pounds over the course of 1.5 years.)

10. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

punkin doesn't need a laxative, but i wanted to say hi and happy valentine's day to you and your crew, tena! hope you've had a nice day! great to see you.

11. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

That one specifically says that it is ok for diabetic cats. The malt stuff might only be a very small part of the ingredients and may not affect bgs too much but ECID.

Vetbasis is hard to find, if at all. Here's one site that may still have it: http://www.atyourdoorpetstore.com/Vetbasis-Feline-Hairball-Gel-3oz-P433.aspx It was highly recommended by FDMB members because it had no sugar or malt or anything in it that could affect bgs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.