2/18 Blue 74 AMBG

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Patty and Blue GA & Brat, Feb 18, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

Patty and Blue GA & Brat Well-Known Member

https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/2-6-blue106-pmps.242687/

HI guys,
    Blue is eating, playing and feeling good, however his tumors seem larger so
    I took him into the oncologist a week early so she could check him. As I thought,
    his tumors are growing and we switched to another chemo today. None of his
    organs are affected so that's why he feels okay. I really debated because the
    new chemo is only going to give him a 30% to 50% chance. The first two
    didn't shrink them at all. I'm hoping this one will work. He's home and doing fine.
    He goes back next week. She also increased his prednisone to 1 and a half a day.
    His blood sugar was 74 this morning so I skipped insulin. So depressing.

My sister had her second vaccine dose yesterday and she texted me this morning
    to say she was running a fever and didn't feel well. Her husband had no reaction.
    I go next week so I'm going to plan ahead for food, etc. just in case. Have you heard anything
    about your second dose Elise?

Did Noodle have testing done today? I think you said the 18th. How's she doing?

2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I go next week too. I thought you got yours after me. My date is supposed to be 2/24 but I haven’t gotten the text with the appointment yet. My brother and sister-in-law go today.

I’m sorry the tumors are growing. What is the new chemo? :bighug: I’m glad his QOL is good and he’s feeling well.

3. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

I think we got it a day apart, which would make sense that you are due 24th.

Vincristine is the chemo name. She might add another by mouth next week. She said it is less effective but we've already given him the strongest.

4. tiffmaxee

Vincristine was one of the chemo drugs in Tiffany’s protocol. How much prednisolone is he getting? Tif got 10mg.

5. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

Well, he was on 5 mg and she said give half more. I think she was thinking of his BG because she was hesitant.

6. tiffmaxee

It’s more important to keep the cancer at bay. We can adjust the insulin.

I’m supposed to hear today or tomorrow if my second dose will be a few days late. We have attempted to get a backup appointment close to home and should hear today or tomorrow as well. The weather is the reason. Are you still on track?

7. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

Yes, I'm still scheduled for Thursday morning. Several people I know have been sick after. I'm not looking forward to that but better than getting Covid.

I'm worried about Blue. He's hiding.

8. tiffmaxee

When did he start hiding?

9. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

Last night. He still has some sniffles and they were worse. I think he got it from Mia. I started him on her antibiotics yesterday. He hid after that. He's out now but sneezing. I put a call into the vet to see if I can get some more antibiotics. Poor baby.

10. tiffmaxee

Being on prednisolone he’s more susceptible to infections. I’m glad he came out.

11. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

He back in hiding. This scares me.

12. tiffmaxee

I understand. Is he eating? Have you heard back about starting an antibiotic?

13. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

Yes, he's still eating. He hides away but always comes to eat. This is normal for him when has a URI. He has a swollen gland on the right side of his neck. His right side is where he's stopped up.
    It worries me on top of everything else.

14. tiffmaxee

No return call from your vet?

15. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

No. I was disappointed. Hopefully I'll get a call in the morning.
    He came out again for his BG check and a snack. He's still eating.

16. tiffmaxee

Good he came out. Disappointing no response to your message.

17. tiffmaxee

Did you hear from the vet? How’s Blue this morning?

18. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

Hi Elise,
    I called the vet and they had the antibiotic ready but someone dropped the ball and didn't call.
    I had one more so was able to treat Blue this morning. He ran down the hall today and
    has been out a lot more. Teddy attacked him and few days ago so that might have
    something to with him hiding away, as well as his cold. I gave Teddy something today
    to calm him down. I think it worked. I scheduled Blue for Thursday at Blue Pearl. He'll
    get another infusion and she said if he was doing okay she wanted him to have a
    chemo pill at home. I don't remember the name but it's in my paperwork. I'll let you
    know tomorrow, because I know you'll ask me. LOL

19. tiffmaxee

This sounds better. Of course I will ask. ;):)

I’m second dose was supposed to be tomorrow but I now have two appointments, one close by on Saturday and one a half hour away Friday morning.

20. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

Blue is feeling so much better. He came to visit me in bed last night and again this morning after I woke up. Yay
    The oral drug in addition to Vincristine is called Cyclophosphamide.
    Which appointment will you go to? I'd be afraid to pass up the first and then something happens with the second... I'm getting nervous about getting sick. Some people I know did get sick although it was only for 24 hours. One piece of advice I got was not to eat a large meal after getting the shot.

21. tiffmaxee

That drug was part of Tiffany’s protocol. It seems like your oncologist is adding the drugs in CHOP one by one. The difference is it’s not weekly. I remember Tiffany didn’t feel so good after that one. It was only for a day or two though.

That’s great he’s feeling better!! How are the others? Stephanie? Your knee?

22. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

He's going to go every week now for 2 months and also the chemo at home. Nothing seems to work to shrink the tumors. I'm hoping this one will.

Stephanie is much better but still not well. She is using a puffer to open her lungs but still uses oxygen at times. They will probably be sending her to covid rehab. She might have heart damage so she is being sent to a cardiologist. A devastating disease.

I have an appt. today to be fitted for a unload knee brace. They might try the stem cell again in a few weeks. Another option is to snip the nerve to stop the pain signal. In other words, I still have a lot of pain. This sucks.

23. tiffmaxee

So sorry to hear about Stephanie and your knee. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Is Blue going to be getting a modified more aggressive protocol? Sure hope it shrinks that stubborn mass. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

24. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

Once a week for the infusion and then the pill at home is the plan for now. She gives
    it a 30% chance of working so she's not optimistic. I'm still hoping and praying. She
    keeps mentioning humane euthanasia in the paperwork. He's still Blue and eating etc.
    I think I'll know when it's time.

25. tiffmaxee

:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:Prayers that it works. I’m glad he’s acting well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.