? 2/19 Bear, AMPS High, +3.5 High - Should I switch from TR to SLGS?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Meredith Bear’s Mom, Feb 19, 2023.

1. Meredith Bear’s Mom

Meredith Bear’s Mom Member

Hi friends,

Life has been a little hectic lately, sorry for not being regular about my posting. Bear was diagnosed with Asthma last week and has been on Theophylline since (see this post). He had labored breathing and then did have an asthma "attack" a few days later.

His numbers have been crazy high since he started showing signs of difficulty breathing. I tried to raise him up to 1U but my vet recommended dropping him back down to .75 because she was worried he would hypo once he started feeling better. But I'm concerned as he continues to go higher.

I'm wondering if I should 1) raise his dose regardless and just monitor extra vigilantly for hypos, and 2) should I switch from TR to SLGS to keep more in line with my doctor's recommendations?

TYIA!

Previous post: https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/thr...216-8-72-11-5-64-pmps-87.274161/#post-3047006

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Any chance of getting some night time tests? I have seen cats go from over 500 (black) down to lime green and back up in one cycle. I'd hate for you to increase if what he needs is the opposite. I'm guessing he probably needs more insulin but best to know for sure. He wasn't doing fabulous on 0.75 units last time.

Could you add the asthma diagnosis to the spreadsheet Remarks column to, for the day he was diagnosed. I'm trying to see when he started symptoms, got diagnosed, and how that relates to his numbers.

As for switching from TR to SLGS, that's really your call based on your lifestyle (and ability to test) and your goals for Bear. If Bear is really not seeing anything below 200, he needs an increase regardless of dosing method.

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  3. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

I agree with Wendy if you can get some night times tests and add
    the asthma diagnosis to the spreadsheet Remarks column to, for the day he was diagnosed. :cat:
    @Meredith Bear’s Mom

4. Meredith Bear’s Mom

Hi Wendy,

Yes, I can certainly be better about getting a few night time tests. I'll start that back up tonight.

Bear was diagnosed on the 10th, I added it into the remarks column.

Thanks for helping us.

5. Meredith Bear’s Mom

@Wendy&Neko how many days with night tests should I wait before bumping him up to 1u?

6. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Did you get any data last night? I think I would try for a test tonight to start. Even if you were following SLGS, you'd be increasing tomorrow night. So if you don't see any movement down tonight, I think you can increase tomorrow morning or night, depending when you can monitor best.

Meredith Bear’s Mom likes this.
  7. Meredith Bear’s Mom

I’ll definitely get a test or two tonight. I can monitor tomorrow at work so can increase in the morning no problem. Thank you!

8. Diane Tyler's Mom

Glad you got those night time tests in last night

9. Diane Tyler's Mom

I see you increased , I'm glad you did :bighug::cat: Good luck with it

10. Meredith Bear’s Mom

Thank you! I hope it helps. Frustrated with myself because I definitely gave a furshot this morning. I just want him to feel better!

11. Diane Tyler's Mom

It happens , hopefully when the depot starts you build up again you'll start seeing better numbers. I just wouldn't wait that long again to increase like you did when you were shooting 0.75 :cat:
    Has her asthma

12. Meredith Bear’s Mom

Yeah, it’s hard when your vet gives conflicting advice. But I agree, I really didn’t want to wait that long either.

13. Diane Tyler's Mom

How is Bears Asthma

14. Meredith Bear’s Mom

I think it’s actually getting better! He is much less sniffly and sneezy and hasn’t had any attacks or labored breathing.

Melinda and Kitkat likes this.