2/21 Ruby AMPS 114/+3 81/+5 82/+6.5 86/PMPS 96/+2 93/+4 76

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Katherine&Ruby, Feb 21, 2021.

1. Katherine&Ruby

Katherine&Ruby Well-Known Member

Yesterday we embarked on transitioning to raw food and so far it's been a success. Not only is Ruby eating the raw duck but she's eating everything I put in front of her, so her nausea or whatever discomfort that was causing her to not want to eat has gone away. The metronidazole seems to be working well and the ondansetron arrived so we have that in case we need it. The only thing is that I haven't seen her do #2 since the very soft poo two days ago.

Please keep your fingers and paws crossed for Ruby to produce a happy semi-firm poop today. TIA. :cat:

Healing thoughts to all of the sick kitties and hugs to you beans who love them so. Have a beautiful Sunday everyone. :bighug::bighug:

JOJI and Kit and Mariette like this.
  2. Mariette

Mariette Member

Fingers crossed for a happy poop party today :bighug:

Katherine&Ruby likes this.
  3. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Nice surfing today. Glad Ruby is eating better. Sending poop vines. :bighug:

4. JOJI and Kit

JOJI and Kit Well-Known Member

kit keeps hitting refresh looking for ruby's poop party invite :bighug:

5. Katherine&Ruby

Either both cats are leaving their poops out in the open (it's usually Olive who doesn't bother to bury), or it hasn't happened yet. It's a mystery I can't solve without Litter Box Cam™.

6. JaxBenji

JaxBenji Well-Known Member

Paws crossed for poop!

And congrats on Ruby eating some raw. You may know this but FFL will send you a sample of their ezcomplete if you PayPal them $1. Info here.

Beautiful cycle today :cat:

7. Katherine&Ruby

Yup, ordered my sample already! Excited to whip up some raw lamb for Ruby next once I get the sample. :p I want a sample of Alnutrin too but they need a postage paid self addressed envelope to be sent to them and that's too much coordination for me right now. :rolleyes:

JaxBenji likes this.
  8. Katherine&Ruby

I was advised in a feline SCL group NOT to give B12 to Ruby. Ruby had a B12 and folate test and it showed her B12 to be sufficient, and therefore I should not give it to her because apparently there was a study that showed adverse effects of B12 on SCL. Has anyone else here heard this? I thought since B vitamins that are not utilized are excreted that it would not hurt to slip some into Ruby's food twice a day. Many other feline health/nutrition sources online say it's very beneficial, that it can help with many issues including inappetance. Who do I believe?

9. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

10. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

I’m way behind but I wanted to address some stuff from the other day.

Just be sure you read how to do it all and mix it. There has to be water in there as well. I always diluted the George’s. I hope she will not mind being syringed. I always taught my cats as kittens to handle syringe feeding so it’s really easy when they get older.

Hope you got the Zofran. There was a study in cats about long-term use of cerenia as for the longest time, it was not only labelled for dogs but also for use in cats for only three days. Subsequently, they’ve found cats can take it long-term and it has anti-inflammatory properties. If you look around the Raw Feeding for IBD cats website, it has a good discussion about pepcid and why it’s not the best choice.

Good; that is how it should work. Ruby is lucky to have you!

I’m glad Miss Ruby is going for the raw duck. Neither of mine will touch duck or rabbit. :rolleyes: Just a reminder that if you do Alnutrin, you also have to buy raw liver and I just found it to be such a pain. Plus dealing with liver is so gross :p

I don’t know the answer to this question. Certainly, if her B12 levels are normal, she wouldn’t need cyanocobalamin. But, for CKD and the anemia that creeps in, methylcobalamin can really keep that at bay. You might check with the Raw Feeding for IBD cats FB group because Laurie, the admin and also the owner of FFL, has had CKD cats so she might know the answer. I just don’t. Also Elise @tiffmaxee might know.

11. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

The suggestion on not giving B12 if not needed, is specifically targeted to cats with SCL or cancer. Although no papers on cats, there are studies on people that either cancers do better in people with excess cobalamin or people with excess cobalamin had a higher cancer risk.

12. Butters & Lyla

Butters & Lyla Well-Known Member

I'm so conflicted. I haven't been around much today and was worried about missing out on Ruby's poop party. On the other hand, how selfish of me to be worried about missing out on Ruby's poop party. And the Canada-US border is closed so I wouldn't even be able to attend!
    Butters and I are hoping she poops today. Oh and poops will change once she is on raw.

13. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I’ve given my CKD cats B12 and B Complex. You can read about it in tanyascrf.org. It helps keep them from becoming anemic. I didn’t add until late Stage 3 or if the HCT dropped under 25%. B Complex needs to be mixed in food to avoid intestinal issues.

Has long as she been on metronadozole? My vet told me to stop it when I saw a normal poop and not to be surprised if Max then skipped a day or two. I know others whose cats ended up very constipated from it and some needed enemas.

14. Katherine&Ruby

I will remember this if I ever have kittens again!

I understand the hazards of Pepcid. I was grasping at straws, looking for something that would work. Seems like she is better for now.

Thanks to you both for your thoughts re: methylcobalamin. What you say, Wendy, makes sense. I think I was confused but you made the point very clear, so thank you. I will take it off Ruby's menu of supplements until we know with more certainty what is going on with her. Hopefully that will be relatively soon.

15. Katherine&Ruby

Yes, I've read about all of the benefits of B12 for CKD kitties, but my concern was that it would exacerbate potential SCL.

I have been looking for normal poops but I don't think they've happened. She start the metronidazole on Friday and I haven't seen a poop since, hence the concern. I've also got her on a therapeutic dose of S. boulardii, so maybe that is having an effect as well?

16. Katherine&Ruby

My olfactory nerves are looking forward to a change in her poops on raw! And the party is postponed until a poop sighting is made. :oops:

17. tiffmaxee

If no poop since Friday I would be very concerned to continue with metronadozole. That was to be my signal to stop using it according to my vet internist.

18. Katherine&Ruby

The thing is I am not entirely sure she hasn't pooped yet. There have been more poops in the litter box than usual but Ruby buries hers and there haven't been any buried poops. I could be totally wrong about her not pooping. I will stop the metro and see how she does without it tomorrow.

19. tiffmaxee

My point is if no loose stool since Friday she could now be constipated. No poop is more reason to stop metronidazole. Ask your vet.