? 2/23 Buster AMPS 267 +6 334 +11 367 - Modified SLGS vs TR?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Kim & Buster, Feb 23, 2023.

1. Kim & Buster

Kim & Buster Member

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  2. Kim & Buster

Kim & Buster Member

+6 is 334…sigh. Feeling very discouraged this week :(

3. Kim & Buster

Kim & Buster Member

So I’ve been toying with the idea of switching to TR, but I have a few qualms. I’m wondering if someone could help me figure out if TR vs a modified SLGS (with reductions under 70) would be better, given that Buster doesn’t seem to be holding reductions very well.

Some important parts:
    -He currently gets Dr Elseys dry food - which I’m open to eliminating but makes me a bit nervous, as I’m also trying to get him to gain weight.
    -I work away from home full time from about AMPS +1 to +10.5. I can sometimes get home on my lunch for a nadir reading but not always, and it’s costly on my budget with gas and a time crunch. But it would be doable at least 1-2X a week.
    -His vet said they want to recheck his kidney levels in a few weeks as he was very slightly elevated at his last visit. This is making me even more anxious to get him regulated ASAP!
    -We also just today started him on fluoxetine for anxiety as he has been peeing outside the litter box - I think my energetic younger cat has been getting on his nerves a bit. I also wonder if it will help lower his stress, and therefore lower his glucose numbers.

4. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

If he's on dry food, even LC dry food, that means following SLGS. Dry food is processed at a different speed in the cat's body. TR is an aggressive protocol with safety mechanisms built into it, one of those being all low carb wet or raw food diet only.

What is your feeding schedule for Buster? Or is he a free grazer? I notice he does some big drops around +3 or +4. Maybe giving him an extra meal a bit before that might slow him down. A flatter cycle means he's less likely to drop into those brief reduction earning greens, and will also help prevent bounces from fast drops.

If you want him to gain weight, look for low carb food that has higher calories, mostly from fat. The three main components of food % wise are protein, fat, carbs. So lower carb, higher fat might be mid or lower range protein. Getting him to spend more time in better BG numbers will also help him gain weight.

Although this post is written for those following TR, there are some helpful hints for people working away from home: Is Tight Regulation Possible with a Full Time Job? Yes!

When kitties are newly diagnosed with FD, they can often be dehydrated from the drinking/peeing. Dehydration can elevate kidney numbers, so good to get him checked when he's in better numbers.

Another thing that sometimes helps peeing outside of the box is Feliway diffusers.

5. Kim & Buster

Kim & Buster Member

Thank you!! Yes, if we switch to TR we would cut out the dry food entirely. He’s a free grazer, I put out fresh pate after his shots.

Would it be a bad idea to cut out dry food + start TR at the same time? Should I maybe cut out dry, keep going with SLGS a bit and then see?

6. Wendy&Neko

That's a hard question to answer but I think I'd give him a couple days on just wet first before switching. I've seen a few cats here that get higher BG's even from what is supposed to be low carb dry.

7. Wendy&Neko

I'd also think about giving him a mix of wet/dry then gradually decreasing the amount of wet. It'll be easier on his GI system, and help his transition in case he's not as fond of wet.

Kim & Buster likes this.
  8. Kim & Buster

Kim & Buster Member

Thank you!! Last question lol - as you see in my SS I’m leaving this weekend and my partner will be taking care of Buster. They’ll be testing him but maybe not as much as I do. Would you recommend increasing to 2.25 units now or waiting until I get back in a few days?

9. Wendy&Neko

I'd stay with the old dose until you get back. With SLGS you hold the dose 7 days anyway. Hope you have a good time away.

Kim & Buster likes this.
  10. Kim & Buster

Kim & Buster Member

Thank you sooo much!!!