2/24 Ruby PMPS 89/+2 80/+4 78

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Katherine&Ruby, Feb 24, 2021.

1. Katherine&Ruby

Katherine&Ruby Well-Known Member

Yesterday's episode of the Ruby show.

Ruby wanted a cuddle session at 3 AM. She squeezed in between me and DBF in bed and purred and kneaded for a while before settling into kitty snores. She's been much more docile, more of a cuddly lap cat since she's not been feeling well. Poor sweet girl.

Yesterday was her last day on the metro. I hope her soft poop issues have been abated. She's definitely less loopy on the crumb sized bit of mirtz, though I wish I didn't have to give it to her. The cyproheptadine is stuck in transit from Iowa where last week's weather seems to have majorly disrupted everything.

Healing thoughts for all of the sick kitties and hugs to you beans who love 'em. Happy Wednesday. :bighug::bighug:

Suzanne Burton, JaxBenji and RachelG like this.
  2. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I hope Ruby feels better today and continues to eat for you. I hope you get the cypro soon. Sending prayers. :bighug::bighug:

Katherine&Ruby likes this.
  3. Cheryl & Jazzy

Cheryl & Jazzy Well-Known Member

Hoping Ruby feels better soon. :cat::bighug: Extra cuddles are awesome, but it sucks when you know it's because they're not feeling well. Have a great day, Katherine

4. RachelG

RachelG Member

Aww, what a sweetheart. She wasn’t nonchalant about wanting those cuddles. :bighug:

I’m glad the mirtazapine is working! It stinks that she isn’t eating on her own, but if it helps her feel well enough to chow that’s a good thing. Hope you have a great day, Katherine!

5. JaxBenji

JaxBenji Well-Known Member

Yay for snuggles and eating, even with meds. Hope Ruby feels better :bighug:

We sent our kitchen knives out for sharpening...they had to make it to Oregon and I timed it right with that bad storm last week :rolleyes: They are just arriving at the shop today (I think it took 7 days...on 2-day priority mail :)). Hope your shipment arrives soon!

6. Katherine&Ruby

Hugs to you, Carla!

It's very upsetting for me that she needs drugs to induce eating. Ruby was a real chubby kitty before she had her DKA and was the best eater ever. She's at a much better weight now, a little underweight even, but seeing her beg for food, sniff it, and then walk away because she's not well from it breaks my heart into a million pieces. :(

The cuddles are super nice. Her fur is so soft now that it's a pleasure to pet her. On good days the USPS isn't great, so add a cataclysmic cold spell and it's a recipe for disaster. Hope you get your knives back soon!

7. RachelG

RachelG Member

I can relate, Katherine. Fortune was a thicc 15lb boy most of his life, and he is down to 11lbs. It is heart breaking. Sounds like Ruby is the same. Sending big hugs :bighug:

8. Katherine&Ruby

+6= 81. I fed Ruby some 13.5% MC when I saw the 59 and her BG went up by a lot. It’s amazing how a few month ago I was feeding her 28% HC and she would go up maybe by 15-20. She seems to do well with 6-9% carb though. Interesting how her body is responding differently. Glad she is coming down though.

Oh, and we had a successful solid happy poop. :cat:

RachelG likes this.
  9. Katherine&Ruby

I am bringing Ruby to her vet via public transportation tomorrow. The trip will take about forty minutes on two buses with about 15 minutes total of walking each way. Would anyone recommend Rescue Remedy to keep her calm? They sell it at the local pet shop.

10. Butters & Lyla

Butters & Lyla Well-Known Member

I've heard of people using Rescue Remedy and saying it does help, though I've never tried it for Butters so no firsthand experience here.
    Butters' carb sensitivity has changed over time, too. I tend to use LC for anything 50 and above now, which is a good thing I think! At least we know there is less food influence on the numbers.
    Have a wonderful rest of your day!

11. RachelG

RachelG Member

I haven't heard of Rescue Remedy, but I swear by Feliway spray - which is commonly at pet stores - and Jackson Galaxy's Stress Stopper.

I commiserate with your trip - our trip is 45 min by car, but when Fortune was younger it was public transit for us! Everyone wanted to pester and see the kitty, but hopefully with COVID they'll leave her alone. Oh, and I drape a scarf or my jacket over the carrier, even in the car. It seems to help, at least for my boys.

If it wasn't COVID I'd over to pick you two up - I'm 25 min from the UES! :bighug: Once we are vaccinated, coffee date? :)

12. Katherine&Ruby

I live in Hoboken so it means dragging Ruby through Port Authority and then catching an uptown bus. If everything lines up it should not be too bad but I don’t want her yowling on the bus.

Would absolutely love to meet up with you when things are normal again! :bighug:

RachelG likes this.
  13. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I did Feliway spray in the carrier, plus some Rescue Remedy for Pets, soaked into a freeze dried treat, a couple hours before I had to bundle Neko to the vet. Especially if I needed her to be relaxed for a blood pressure check. You might want to bring a towel to cover the carrier as well.

14. Katherine&Ruby

I got Rescue Remedy at our local "boutique" pet store but didn't see Feliway spray for cats, only for dogs. I will see how the Rescue works. Will see if I can drop it into her food before we leave for the vet.

15. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Doesn't matter if it's cats or dogs, the one I had was for pets. The human one has alcohol in it, so you don't want that! The option to adding to food/water, is to rub a drop or two on ears or forehead.

16. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

If you can’t find Rescue Remedy for Pets, I absolutely love the flower essences from Green Hope Farm. I keep the emergency one around here for birds that hit the picture windows and it works miracles. You could get the Anxiety one. They use the purest flowers and no alcohol.

Hugs for little Ruby. I k ow how you feel; Gracie was always a little chow hound but after she was diagnosed with IBD, it took work to get her to eat.

17. Katherine&Ruby

Thank you, Marje! I did get Rescue Remedy, it was the Feliway that I couldn't track down today, but I will keep my eyes out for Green Hope Farm's essences. I did not realize how many "calming" supplements there are out there for pets these days, a lot of them hemp or CBD based. The whole world of CBD healing for pets is probably another rabbit hole one could spend a lot of time doing down.

And thanks for the kind words about Ruby. I will pass on the hugs. It helps me to know that so many people here are rooting for her and also understand my worry.

18. JOJI and Kit

JOJI and Kit Well-Known Member

good luck on the vet trip tomorrow.
    :bighug::bighug: