2/25 Fortune PMPS 122 +1 191 +2 241 +6 279 +11 484

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by RachelG, Feb 25, 2021.

1. RachelG

RachelG Member

Yesterday

Poor Fortune just wants to be home. He had his onc appt, and that is a big update, but when they discharged him to me I saw that he could not stand on his front paws!

He had been under their care since 8am, and were aware of the ER visit last night, and I brought up the incident - and shared a video of it from this morning. The doctor told me they didn’t see it, but looked at the video and thought it could be because his potassium was low, but to discuss it with the internist. They also prescribed Renal K+ for potassium supplementation.

Well, I picked him up, buckled in his carrier and then went to give him kisses and saw he could not stand! So back in I went. That was about an hour ago...

The tech came out to take him and saw he couldn’t stand and thankfully took him to the doctor to be evaluated. This poor kitty.

2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Oh no. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

RachelG likes this.
  3. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending prayers. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

RachelG likes this.
  4. RachelG

RachelG Member

So it’s polyneuropathy. The onc had a neurologist evaluate him. It may be caused by the diabetes, or it may be from the cancer.

We are going to try a medication to help the nerves respond, while trying to get his diabetes better managed.

Seeing the internist tomorrow and already steeling myself for a fight about dosing him down :blackeye:

Tonight he is due for a .25 increase. Sigh.

They brought him back out covered in urine. Poor kitty was probably holding it since 7am! It’s now 2:30.

5. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

6. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

7. Liz & Minnie

Liz & Minnie Well-Known Member

:bighug::bighug: i'm too new to have ANY advice but following your story :bighug:

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  8. RachelG

RachelG Member

We got home and Fortune is much worse. He cannot hold himself upright to drink water, he cannot walk on his legs. I’m so devastated- how was he released in this condition?! He is also covered in urine. I had asked them to clean him and idk if they did and he peed again.

I don’t know if this is temporary or not, but this is killing me. He is stressed out and upset and resting now. He kept trying to drink water, he didn’t have any all day and his kidney numbers are so high. I held him up but he kept trying to do it on his own. I’m so scared.

I need to think about his insulin dose tonight, too. He only received one unit, so less than half of his 2.5 dose. Does that mean we cannot increase?

The hypothesis is that this may be neuropathy due to poorly regulated diabetes, but I don’t know how to help him!

I am beside myself that he was released to me in this condition. It’s negligent. They did not explain to me that he would get worse, and I was told he would improve. I just feel so alone and helpless.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
  9. RachelG

RachelG Member

How is he having diabetic neuropathy when he is at 160?!

10. Tina Marie (GA) and Jan

Tina Marie (GA) and Jan Well-Known Member

Rachel, I just want to cry with you. I agree, it sounds negligent of the vet the way they let Fortune leave. It's possible he still will get better than he is now - at least it would line up with having you think he would get better.

I would increase his dose as planned (unless you see an unusual PMPS). Since neuropathy is often a result of long term high BG, you need that better dose. Healing begins with reaching and maintaining good BG control. It isn't a quick process either - a few weeks to a few months. Tina had a pretty bad case when she started insulin - she was almost dragging her back end. Most improvement was approximately 3-4 months after good BG numbers (mostly green).

I'm concerned with how quickly the neuropathy got worse. I want help for your precious Fortune.

MANY HUGS for you and kisses for Fortune.

RachelG likes this.
  11. RachelG

RachelG Member

Thank you so much! Fortune has been on insulin since July 2020, and was in remission briefly in October before relapsing - granted this was all through urine dips and dosing at the guidance of our vet. We have been trying TR since 01/09/21.

He was due for an increase tonight, to 2.75 IU. Can we still move forward with the increase? I’m concerned his BG is dropping...it’s very befuddling.

12. RachelG

RachelG Member

I’m also very concerned with the quick progression especially in his front legs. Usually hind legs are affected - his are as well but it’s so pronounced in the front. All in the last 24 hours!!

13. Tina Marie (GA) and Jan

Rachel - I reread, and see you were planning an increase, so I quickly edited the above!

14. Lisa & Oberon

Lisa & Oberon Well-Known Member

Has anyone discussed the possibility of B12 (e.g. Zobaline) to help with neuropathy? With everything he has going on I don't know whether it would be an option, but it might be worth bringing it up.

15. RachelG

RachelG Member

Thank you for clarifying! :bighug::bighug:

In the past, yes, but his neuropathy resolved in late January when his numbers were improving. The neurologist prescribed mestinon pyridostigmine to help “heal the nerve pathway.” It is a symptomatic treatment, and a conservative starting dose. We haven’t given it to him yet because I’m afraid he will choke (it’s liquid) but I need to walk away and let my husband do it...

16. Tina Marie (GA) and Jan

Glad his BG is going down - but he's making the planned increase to 2.75 a little more interesting! Great you are using TR too. Give that boy a gentle hug when he's ready:cat: I will always give Tina her daily Zobaline, like Lisa suggested. I do believe it helps, even though good BG numbers would help the most.

I'm looking up your new medicine out of curiosity:bighug:

RachelG likes this.
  17. RachelG

RachelG Member

OK! Deep breaths! We spoke to the neurologist. He was presenting as we are seeing him, and she explained that as he exerts his energy it will seem to get worse.

She advised us to keep everything close (water, litter, food) so he can push himself using his legs to where he needs without getting too tired, and to put him in the litter box every few hours.

She expects the medication to work by the second dose latest (in the first 20-30 min of administering or by the second) and will also be evaluating him tomorrow when he comes in for the internist check up.

We discussed that if he didn’t have diabetes or cancer she would expect this to be an autoimmune presentation but expects it to be related to the diabetes or possibly a “remnant” of the cancer. We will be discussing more in depth how to rule it out.

Fortune is always surprising us! The good news is his BG is looking much much better today (ofc) so I think we are in for a late night with this increase!

I will try and post a better update about his cancer dx and treatment, and the CKD progression, but I’m a bit overwhelmed.

TL;DR Fortune is a great candidate for the chemotherapy, all of the studies have been done in most dogs and some cats (it’s more rare) who had it diagnosed in their spleen, and usually showed spread. Fortune didn’t have it on his spleen or in his liver (a common spread place), didn’t show signs of spread, and because it was on his kidney (no studies, very rare) the hope is that it was somewhat “walled off” during the bleed and spread more slowly. We hope to improve his QoL with treatment for the diabetes and CKD, and this is usually a well tolerated chemotherapy that should help too.

Of course Fortune is super rare and special and if we are going to get a terrible diagnosis at least we have some hope layered in.

What a roller coaster!!

18. RachelG

RachelG Member

Fortune are you kidding me with these numbers?!! @Butters & Lyla he got the threat notice! :D

19. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

What a horrible roller coaster you are on. I hope the ride ends soon. I saw this earlier and was so upset I couldn't even respond. I'm glad you got to speak with the neurologist. I'm liking the last part of your update.:bighug::bighug:

20. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

I do hope the medication helps with his prompt recovery! Try to be patient...I know it's a difficult time...but sometimes these kitties can surprise us!

Hang in there - sending you many healing vines and prayers this evening! :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

RachelG likes this.
  21. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Oh Rachel, my heart breaks every time I read something about Fortune.
    I'm so glad his BG has come down. I hope the new medication works quickly.
    I just want to hold him and kiss him all over.
    Praying for his appointment to go well tomorrow.
    We all love you Fortune ♥:bighug::bighug:

RachelG likes this.
  22. RachelG

RachelG Member

So I may be developing at heart condition from these numbers. Already dreading the bounce!

Do we feed him? He only had 3/4 of a can at PMPS +9 because of the early appt this morning, and was given only 1 IU today, so this must be the 2.5 depot at work...I guess?

23. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Rachel, was just looking at your SS, shouldn't the @+10 and @+ 10.5 be dark green

RachelG likes this.
  24. RachelG

RachelG Member

@Wendy&Neko
    @Marje and Gracie
    @Tina Marie and Jan

Tagging for visibility Do you think I should still increase with the current numbers? Fortune is giving me heartburn, lol!

Yes, thank you! I just updated it. It shows up differently on my mobile so I picked the wrong colors :oops:

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  25. Tina Marie (GA) and Jan

Oh my . . .

I am just bumping this. Personally, I wouldn't increase tonight the way it looks now.
    Hopefully someone else will pop in!
    It could be the depot, and an interesting response to this day. I don't know!

RachelG likes this.
  26. JaxBenji

JaxBenji Well-Known Member

Hi Rachel :bighug: Hugs to you and Fortune :bighug::bighug::bighug: Sending lots of love and positive energy.

Nice to see the greens - when you get your PMPS reading, don't feed and post here and see if someone can help. FWIW, I wouldn't increase...

RachelG likes this.
  27. RachelG

RachelG Member

Thank you! Yeah, I'm inclined to hold the dose. My goodness, Fortune is just keeping things interesting, isn't he!

28. RachelG

RachelG Member

Ok, thanks! We are almost at food time (we have been trying to give him 30-60 minutes to finish food before the insulin), so I'm hoping I get input on +11 (about to do that now!)

Goodness how the plan has changed. Fortune is steering and I'm just holding on for the ride!

29. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

You can feed up to +10 without impacting PMPS. Today is the result of the 2.5 unit depot. Plus some cats go lower at the vet - this is not the first time Fortune has done that. And maybe relief from some meds?

With TR you'd hold a dose giving you greens for 10 cycles, though I suspect he'll still need more insulin.

RachelG likes this.
  30. RachelG

RachelG Member

Yes, he has been blue at the hospital before, so that makes sense. Today was also very unusual, he didn't eat much, got underdosed, etc. It seems like he is holding steady now and not going lower. Can this be the norm, please?!

I'm really worried he won't eat tonight because he was already nauseous before, and inappetence is a side effect. We tried to give him a little nibble at +8 and he was not interested. He is somewhat lethargic now - I understand because of the day he has had, side effect of the sedation, plus the neuropathy are all probably making him feel zonked. On top of it it's tremendous effort for him to lift his legs :(

I guess my question is - if he eats 50% + we will hold the 2.5IU, but if he eats less, do we decrease to half? (I think I know this, but my brain is mush)

Secondly, do I need to mentally and emotionally prepare for the bounce?

31. RachelG

RachelG Member

Oh - also he seems to be intermittently able to stand on his paws again!!! Still very weak, but I think that's a good thing. (anti-jinx, hamsa, etc)

32. Wendy&Neko

Did the vet send you home with anti-nausea meds today? He's also not used to greens, so may be feeling off cause of that. Think of the analogy of high blood sugar = high caffeine. What happens if you don't get what you are used to? Lethargy and irritable until you get used to it.

If I was a betting person, I'd bet on a bounce. ;) As for dosing, can you syringe feed? When Neko was off her feed, I'd give her some 8% carbs as a little boost over her normal food.

RachelG likes this.
  33. RachelG

RachelG Member

We have our usual stockpile of ondansetron, cerenia and mirtazapine. Though I think DH used the mrtz ear for one of the tests!

We can try - it did NOT go well when I tried it back on 2/7. What has been working is hand feeding and presenting food in intervals. He also got the mrtz late, so hopefully it will kick in soon! :arghh:

Will you be there to hold my hand through the bounce? :smuggrin:

34. Wendy&Neko

I have a zoom meeting in an hour, so can't commit, depending on timing.

RachelG likes this.
  35. RachelG

RachelG Member

Oh, I was mostly joking about the hand holding through the bounce! Mostly...;)

More worried about him eating/stalling tonight, and how low he will go.

36. RachelG

RachelG Member

78 PMPS!!!

We are giving him 30-45 minutes to eat 50%+ and then shooting and praying and have honey on standby. Guess who isn't sleeping tonight?

37. RachelG

RachelG Member

DH pointed out that in the past we wait and stall to make sure it goes up. Should we do that now?

Sorry for the repeat questions - my brain is MUSH tonight.

38. Wendy&Neko

A stall means NOT feeding, to see if his numbers go up on his own without food. If you are OK shooting 78, then it's not so much an issue.

RachelG likes this.
  39. RachelG

RachelG Member

Right, we have been stalling...Am I ok shooting 78?? Last time he was this low (on 2/18) we stalled...

Do you mean am I ok if he drops? In terms of supplies, we are ok (simple syrup and DH just ran out to get Karo to be sure.) But I would prefer if he wasn't hypo on top of everything else. What does "ok" mean?

Sorry if I'm being thick. I feel like I have lost brain cells.

40. RachelG

RachelG Member

Oh wait, we are planning to feed then shoot, so it should be fine? Sorry. I'm on 2 hours sleep today!

41. Wendy&Neko

Did you retest before shooting? Did he come up from the food? I'd get a +1 and a +2 to see if you need to intervene early.

OK means if you are comfortable shooting green numbers and shooting at a 78. The lowest you've shot full dose was 129. I'm not saying it was a bad thing to shoot, but it would have been better to know if he was on his way up or down without food.

42. RachelG

RachelG Member

We didn't shoot - he hasn't eaten. :(

He is very tired - I imagine from the neuropathy, the CKD, the BG and the chemo + the overall long day at the vet are all contributing.

We are trying to see if the ondansetron and cerenia will kick in, and maybe the mirtazapine.

Retested at +12.5 - still 73

43. RachelG

RachelG Member

OK HE ATE! Not a whole lot (3/4 of a can) but we are going to keep coaxing him (sent DH to get KFC) and hand feeding him. I need to remember to wear gloves because of the chemo, but I forgot.

I'm just happy he ate! I know it's the meds kicking in, but this kitty LOVES to eat and if he needs a little extra help so be it. Ooof.

Anyway, I wasn't able to get another test at +13 - he got up when I was poking him to eat and well, I didn't stop him because he was falling down trying to eat so of course I helped him. I know it's going to suck to have to test all night, but what else can we do? Lower the dose?

Still trying to get him to eat more before we shoot. Debating holding the dose if he is plummeting.

44. Katherine&Ruby

Katherine&Ruby Well-Known Member

Rachel, just stopped by to visit and see you're in panic mode. If you are feeding him his numbers will go up, so you might as well shoot if you are prepared. I can hold your hand. :bighug: EDIT: I probably would not increase tonight. Too much going on.

Suzanne & Darcy and RachelG like this.
  45. Wendy&Neko

Another test would be good. Usually you are OK with half dose at least, especially since he ate some.

RachelG likes this.
  46. RachelG

RachelG Member

He ate so little compared to normal, and his numbers are so low that I’m scared to shoot his normal dose. Totally not raising it, but not sure if we should adjust?

Tested at +13 with 3/4 of a can (his normal is 1-2 cans) and he is at 88

47. RachelG

RachelG Member

Should I kept trying toget him to eat more or just give him the half dose?

48. RachelG

RachelG Member

We mixed the remaining 1/4 can with his gabapentin and potassium. Apparently potassium smells bad :banghead:

Tried a different variety with just gabapentin and he is devouring it!! :joyful:

He is just so low, we have never shot this low before...

49. Katherine&Ruby

Katherine&Ruby Well-Known Member

Half a dose seems very safe to me. He will go up.

RachelG likes this.
  50. Wendy&Neko

He is on his way up, though some of it may be from food. Your call on how late you want preshot to be as tomorrow is 12 hours after whenever you shoot tonight. If you are OK with stalling a bit more until he's in your comfy zone to shoot full dose, do that. If can't stall much longer, shoot 1/2 dose. Note that at some point, the reduced dose this morning and insulin wearing off, and possibly a bounce will most likey cause his numbers to zoom up. Stalling also acts a bit like a reduction. But you have to be comfortable with whatever happens, and with kitties, there are no guarantees. :cat:

Is it potassium gluconate you are using? It's a bit gritty, I learned to soften with water.

51. RachelG

RachelG Member

Yeah, I think it’s from the food.

If stalling acts like a reduction I think we are ok to shoot the full dose. Just terrified of a hypo incident - we don’t need that on top of everything else. Also worried about staying high and the bounce from these numbers, and the reduced dose this morning already working against us.

I’m also operating on 2 hours of sleep, so decision making isn’t my forte atm...

What would you do?

52. Wendy&Neko

Factor that in, I'm sure DH is similarly sleep deprived. That also means you'll have a hard time monitoring tonight. Like I said, if you can delay until he goes up enough, shoot full dose, if not, do half dose. Today's 1 unit AM (did you verify they shot that?) means the depot from 2.5 is someone reduced so the reduced dose tonight shouldn't keep you up late.

RachelG likes this.
  53. RachelG

RachelG Member

He ate over 1.5 cans!! Yay!!
    He is now at 100, so right direction.
    We are happy to delay until he reaches a safe number to shoot the full dose.
    We don’t want to set back our progress. And he is having such a hard night, we don’t want to make it tougher.

Yes - verified with the tech that she shot 1 IU (I told her to do half of 2.5, but at least I know!).

I feel so bad, we were finally out of the high numbers.

54. RachelG

RachelG Member

Yup - he was not having it. Will have to experiment more. He is also not himself right now, hopefully he will feel better after the chemo side effects wear off (at the least)

:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

I’m so worried and probably not making sense, but thank you for being here Wendy & Katherine!!

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  55. Wendy&Neko

But you know that under the right conditions, this dose can get him green. Did they give him fluids there too?
    Remember than onset is two hours (ish) later, so he will continue to go up after the shot. Yeah for more eating!

RachelG likes this.
  56. RachelG

RachelG Member

What number are we aiming for? 200+?

57. RachelG

RachelG Member

Yes - and that is really heartening!! 2.5 IU was the dose we reduced to after he went to 44 on 1/31, so I had high hopes but (as you know) was SO frustrated with the results.

Does that mean we can shoot now, or keep waiting for him to rise before?

I feel like I know the answer to these things, please forgive me.

58. Wendy&Neko

I wouldn't wait until he's that high. Maybe 30 points higher? You've shot 129 and 140 before.

RachelG likes this.
  59. RachelG

RachelG Member

He is at 122 :nailbiting: Do you think it’s fine?

Ugh I think we will test again in 20 min cuz we are really running into schedule ruining territory and I don’t want to set back his progress but also we need some sleep. Both us and Fortune!

60. RachelG

RachelG Member

Ok. I am making a judgement call. I think we are going to shoot now at 122.

Katherine&Ruby likes this.
  61. RachelG

RachelG Member

Here we goooo!!!! Please keep Fortune in the dark greens and blues (ok maybe yellow for now, but not for long)!!

Katherine&Ruby likes this.
  62. Wendy&Neko

Please keep that subject line updated, so it's easy to keep an eye on you.

Surf's up Fortune!

63. RachelG

RachelG Member

I passed out and DH stayed up with Fortune - just updated! Will post a new condo with more updates after AMPS :)

64. Wendy&Neko

I would have gone to sleep after his +2 last night as well. Glad you got some sleep.