2/28/21 - Squeaky! AMPS = 263 +2=288 +4=360 +6=363 PMPS=352

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Jan D & Squeaky, Feb 28, 2021.

1. Jan D & Squeaky

Jan D & Squeaky Well-Known Member

https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/2-27-21-squeaky-amps-345-pmps-265.243846/

What sports do cats play? Hairball.

HAHA. We all know that; seems like a sport sometimes huh.

Tomorrow's joke will make you groan.

Squeaky hasn't been playing much lately and he has been sitting by his water bowl again. :eek:

Hey I suspect since he hasn't had any greens that we need to do our first curve? Let me see if I can find the instructions. Maybe adapt it a little bit to help save his ears? Okay I read the instructions. We will do it because I think he needs an increase.

Oh, I get so stressed when he is not feeling well. I also get stressed when I have to poke him a lot. Stress day today. :eek::nailbiting::(

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
  2. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Jan --

If you are planning on following SLGS, I wouldn't hang out at a dose that isn't getting Squeaky into better numbers for more than a week. You've been at this dose for just a bit beyond a week.

I also wonder if your kitty is a bit off due to the bouncing. Some cats just don't like the way the bounces feel especially since he's used to lower numbers.

Jan D & Squeaky likes this.
  3. Jan D & Squeaky

Thank you, Sienne, for looking in on us. Yes, we are going to do the curve today. Well I couldn't have for the last two days anyway. My own health issues sometime leave me flat on my back and I can't focus and even the BG tests go poorly.

Yes I believe it is the up and down that is hard on him. He is often quite energetic if he's high; but not always. He's sometimes quite energetic when he's low; but not always.

Wish us good testing today!

Sienne and Gabby (GA) likes this.
  4. Jan D & Squeaky

Egads, Sienne, well he's going up instead of down. Is this at all normal? Perhaps I gave him a fur shot this morning without realizing? Should I continue the curve since it doesn't seem normal? (Knowing that Squeaky doesn't do well with lots of pokes.) Thanks!

5. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Squeaky may be bouncing today from however low he went last night. It's hard when they bounce when you're doing a curve. If you look at his numbers over the past week it does look like he needs a dose increase. I'd go back to 1.5 units. If he is still going up next test, I think you can quit doing the curve.

6. Jan D & Squeaky

Thanks Carla. I appreciate your answer.

7. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

It's entirely possible that it's a bounce, like Carla suggested. Of course, Squeaky is a cat and knew you were doing a curve. Since he doesn't like being poked, he's expressing either his displeasure or being a cat and not wanting to be predictable!

8. Jan D & Squeaky

+6=363 so I can stop poking him now right? ??? He's an unhappy camper, he will be glad. And increase to 1.5. To me, that sounds like a plan!!!!

Everyone thinks that's fine?

THH & Snowcrash (GA) likes this.
  9. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

It sounds like a plan! I would get a test at +11 just to make sure the numbers aren't dropping by shot time, though.

10. Jan D & Squeaky

Thanks Sienne, so if his number has gone down at +11, what does that change actually? I still need to test him at +12 before I shoot.

Also BTW I love the quote in your signature. I have not experienced anything like the love between Squeaky and me. So special.

11. Jan D & Squeaky

Hmmm, I still don't know what that piece of information at +11 would actually help or change. Is it worth a prick? He is so tolerant but I do not like to push him. If not absolutely necessary.

I don't know why I am so dumb that I can't understand how a +11 would change what happens at +12. If he's dropping we would know at +12, and we've decided to shoot 1.5 anyway. Why hurt him extra at +11? Would that change the shot? I don't get it.

12. Katherine&Ruby

Katherine&Ruby Well-Known Member

Hi Jan,

Hopefully Sienne or another more seasoned member will be around to answer your question but here's a blurb from the sticky on becoming data ready and handling low preshot numbers that you might find helpful!

Why the +10s and +11s? These spot checks will help keep you out of trouble. Again, let’s say that you have a lower than usual preshot. If your preshot is higher than +10 or +11, you know the insulin from that cycle is waning, the cat is on his way up, and the number is probably shootable. If you have a preshot that is much lower than your +10 or +11, knowing why will help you decide whether or not to shoot. Some Lantus, Basaglar, and Levemir users notice a dip at the end of the cycle, meaning that the preshot is always a bit lower than +10 or +11 (but usually still higher than the nadir – the cat dips to a nadir at mid-cycle, then rises, then dips again). If this is your cat’s pattern, then this type of dip is not a reason to delay a shot. On the other hand, if your cat has a bounce clearing and is still careening downhill at shot time (usually characterized by numbers that drop for the whole cycle, without a clear nadir), then you will want to take that into consideration as you make a decision about shooting. Know thy cat.

:bighug::bighug::bighug:

13. Jan D & Squeaky

Yes, and if he's in the 300s or the 200s, (or even in the 100s).... which is very likely here..... I mean the 300s or 200s are very likely.... he's still going to get a shot. What am I not understanding? I really don't want to hurt him if it isn't meaningful.

I mean, if we thought he was going below 90 and we wanted to catch that. THAT would change the shot.

Geez I'm super tired again tonight, so I tend to resist. Thanks everyone for your patience with me. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

You see, it's time for his preshot. He is so unhappy about it..... he was trying to hide in his litter box. :(:(:(

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021