2/3 Blue 156 AMPS

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Patty and Blue GA & Brat, Feb 3, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

Patty and Blue GA & Brat Well-Known Member

https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/1-29-blue-183-amps.242270/

Morning,
    I'm not convinced I'm actually getting any insulin into Blue. His numbers
    haven't changed that much since I wasn't giving him any. Last night I
    forgot to retest. :banghead: He's eating like crazy and has his appointment
    tomorrow at Blue Pearl. They said it was a recheck but I'm pretty
    sure they'll do chemo.
    Everyone is shot, pilled and fed. Good times! It went a little faster this
    morning. It's the little things.
    Stephanie is out of the hospital. She broke out last night with oxygen and
    lots of rehab. They told her 6 to 8 weeks at least and they still don't know
    the extent of the damage to her lungs. I hope she doesn't overdo because
    she'll be right back in the hospital. Thanks for all the prayers. They worked
    and we are blessed to still have our girl. :bighug:

tiffmaxee and Critter Mom like this.
  2. Butters & Lyla

Butters & Lyla Well-Known Member

Another member started doing a drop dose recently. We discussed holding the plunger down for ten seconds to make sure the drop is released. I have to do that with Butters to make sure she gets that last drop as well. Just a thought if you've not already tried that with Blue. Her condo is here where the technique is discussed in case you're interested:
    https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB...-not-working-out-pm-dose.242233/#post-2730175

Happy to hear Blue is eating well and that your routine is getting faster. I remember the happiness when i suddenly realized when I was doing her insulin in half the time it used to take me:joyful:.

So glad to hear your niece has been sent home. Prayers that she makes a full recovery.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2021
  3. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Great news about Stephanie! I'm so pleased for you all, Patty. :cat:

Second this recommendation. Also, keep the plunger depressed until you've completely pulled the syringe needle back out again after delivering the microdose.

Grab a practice syringe, measure your dose (use water for practice!), then depress the plunger and hold it in place to see what comes out of the syringe (will help with visualisation of what's happening under the skin).

Sorry I've not checked in with you over the last few days, Patty, but I have been following along. Lúnasa has developed a problem with her hips and she's having trouble moving. Not sure if it's an acute injury after an awkward landing or whether it's pushed her into having a problem with arthritis. Neither of us are doing well at the moment.

Fingers and paws crossed for all to go well for the Bluebird tomorrow. ((((Blue)))

Mogs

Last edited: Feb 3, 2021
  4. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

I have tried holding the plunger down before removing but I haven't left it in for 10 seconds. That will be interesting.
    Does Butters stay put? Blue is on steroids so maybe that's why he can't hold still. I'll give it a try tonight. Wish me luck. :nailbiting:

Critter Mom likes this.
  5. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

Oh no, when did she start having problems? I hope it will resolve soon. Are you okay or worried about your bug?
    I am not online much due to 4 sick cats. I've never been though anything like this. I've been at the vet every day and
    will be a Blue Pearl tomorrow. Thanks for thinking of Bluebird. He won't be happy in the morning but he's more
    himself now. I think the first chemo drug was not good for him. He definitely was not Blue. The new chemo was
    by mouth and seemed to agree with him.
    Keep me posted on your situation please.
    :bighug:

6. JaxBenji

JaxBenji Well-Known Member

Hi Patty - so glad your niece is home - prayer she makes a full recovery :bighug::bighug::bighug:

I also saw the tip to hold the plunger down for 10 seconds and start doing that with Jax. When I do it, I tent his skin and hold on firmly (he is also eating and is a good patient). He doesn't seem to mind too much - I think more annoyed I'm tenting his skin then the needle while he's trying to eat :p

7. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

So happy to read that Stephanie is home. Continued prayers for a complete recovery. I hope tomorrow goes well for Blue. :bighug:

8. Butters & Lyla

Butters & Lyla Well-Known Member

I have to distract Butters with food when I do it. I give her a little treat of some ground meat mixed in a bit of tuna juice, spread out on a plate. It is a whole scene but it’s the only way she stays put. If it is just her regular food she will run away.

Critter Mom likes this.
  9. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

Thank you. :bighug: Stephanie was really lucky because so many don’t make it. It was hard on all of us but my poor sister had to be medicated. She’s doing much better.
    I’ll try to hold the syringe for 10 seconds in the morning and see if I can. I decided not to shoot tonight. He was 115 so I’ll see what his BG is in the morning and probably give him a drop before chemo.

Critter Mom and JaxBenji like this.
  10. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

Thanks Elise for the prayers. Steph sent a picture of herself in bed with her 2 dogs laying on her legs. She's happy to be home but now the work begins. Jeanne is still struggling and she's been working to get back for several weeks.
    I'm so glad to have one vaccine down and one to go the 25th. Did they schedule your second shot?

I hope tomorrow goes well too. I'm nervous every time I take him.

11. tiffmaxee

I don’t have a second appointment. They will send us one 3-7 days before. Did you ? My arm is itchy and red again. Crazy. I registered with v check tonight.

I was always nervous before Tiffany’s chemo too. Judging by how he’s acting it should be good. :bighug:

12. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

That is crazy that your arm is red and itchy again. Very strange.
    When I signed up at Publix for the vaccine I got both dates but worry about vaccine availability.

Blue BG was high this morning so I guess the drop is working. I gave him a drop. I forget the number but I think 257 AMPS. Leaving in 15 :nailbiting:

13. tiffmaxee

Hoping for an encouraging vet report. I hope you remember to tell tgem about the fever last time. :bighug:

14. Critter Mom

Sending prayers that all goes well for the Bluebird today, Patty.

Keep safe out in the big bad world. :bighug:

((((Blue))))

Mogs

15. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

I just woke from a nap. I didn't sleep much last night and had to get up early. Blue is great so far. He gained a few ounces and the oncologist thought he was more alert and his abdomen stable. She gave him chemo and hopes for continued improvement. He goes back in 3 weeks. I did tell them about his fever and they said I did all I could do but if it's over 103 I should take him into a vet if it doesn't subside.
    BB

16. Critter Mom

The Noodle's started having more frequent short coughing bouts in the last few weeks. The mobility issue hit at Monday lunchtime but she was really off Sunday evening. Yes, I am worried about her. She's scheduled for her next round of diags (ultrasound, x-rays, blood & urine tests) on 18 February. (It would have been sooner but her main vet is off next week.) In the meantime, her pain med frequency has been increased.

Mogs

17. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

Hi Mogs.
    How can you tell it's her hips?
    I wish you could get her in earlier!
    I'm out but will check back in.

Critter Mom likes this.
  18. Critter Mom

Eejit features here forgot to tell you I got her in to the vet straight away on Monday afternoon. I'm sorry! :oops: :banghead: There's no way I'd have left her that long without seeing one of the vets at the practice.

Thankfully our main vet was on duty on Monday. When he examined her he was able to determine that she had significant pain in both hips, especially the right one. The diags scheduled for the 18th are to find out what's going on 'under the bonnet' for a number of things plus the regular checks needed for the CKD. If anything crops up in the interim I'll have her straight back in to them.

Been sending prayers for you two all day.

((((Patty and Blue))))

Mogs

19. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

OH good Mogs, I'm glad you got her in. What do they think it is? Maybe arthritis?

Blue is acting pretty normal but I'm keeping an eye out due to his fever last time. His BG was
    running higher than normal when I checked him at 3:30....123.

Layla got the all clear on her blood work. She just has a UTI. Teddy has been acting out today.
    I'm going to try to get a video so I can show the vet. I haven't weighed Brat yet but she looks
    great. I see she is gaining and her fur is so much softer and prettier.

20. tiffmaxee

I’m glad to read your reports!:):bighug:

21. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

Blue is doing okay. I just tested and he's down to 105 +3. I gave him some water and left a bowl
    by where he's been sleeping. He didn't run a high fever until the evening of the second day with
    his last chemo. I'm watching closely.

Elise, I just read an article about the 2nd covid shot being pretty bad. It said it means it's working
    on your immunity but I sure hate to do anything that makes me feel sick. :arghh:
    Since you got your first shot the day before me, you can let me know how you feel after your second. :eek:

22. tiffmaxee

That will work if I get a second appointment. My arm is still red tonight but hasn’t been itchy like yesterday. How often do you check in with check?

Is Blue back by the plants ?

23. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

I can't believe your arm is still red. That's not good. V-safe texts me everyday and tells me "it's time for you daily v-safe check-in. I then
    click on the link and answer several questions about how I'm feeling. Did you not get your check-in questions? The first week is everyday.
    I think then it goes to once a week. If there's something wrong they will call you.

When he first got home he did go to his hospital room, but he went back to his normal sleep spot. He was so weak and sick when he
    got the chemo last time it took awhile for him to come out it. The first type of chemo they gave him did nothing for him and also made him
    catatonic. It was scary. They insist the chemo wouldn't cause that but I know it did. He's so much better.

24. tiffmaxee

I just signed up yesterday but didn’t get a text today.
    I think the pill and the prednisolone are helping Blue.

25. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

Maybe check your phone number to make sure it's correct. You might have to check something
    to allow texts.

I agree, this chemo is helping. Prednisolone is probably helping more.

26. tiffmaxee

I got a check in text right after I subscribed. I clicked on it and said I had checked in. That was yesterday. Nothing today. Weird.

27. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

28. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

I looked on the v-safe paperwork they sent to see if there was a number you could call. No numbers
    but I suggest you sign up again. I'd upload the sheet I got but I'm still not able to do post any pictures
    on this site. You could also text back "start" on the text you did receive when you signed up to see if
    that will work.

Blue came into my bedroom this morning with the others to tell me it was time to eat.
    He seems to be feeling well. YAY

29. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

Another thing. I got a verification code. Did you get one when you signed up?

30. Critter Mom

Hi Patty,

Warmed my heart to read this. :cat:

((((Blue))))

Glad to hear that your wee Brat is doing well too. I hope that Layla's UTI clears quickly and that you manage to sort out what's up with Teddy. Your little ones are blessed to have you.

(((Patty)))

On her x-ray last summer they observed an abnormality in the lower part of the backbone and she's not been able to groom her mid-back area properly for about 18 months so they think she already had a touch of arthritis. Our vet isn't sure whether Monday's problem is a progression of this or an acute issue after an awkward landing the night before. She's been moving much better last night and this morning. I'm ambivalent about this because I'm worried that it might be something other than a joint issue that was causing her severe pain, largely because the improvement has been so quick (although I'm relieved she's more comfortable in herself). The worry about her little heart is at the back of my mind all the time. Hopefully the scans will tell us more (preferably something positive and reassuring).

Mogs

31. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

Sounds like she might have just sprained something since it's improving. I hope that's the case.
    Is next week when your vet is on holiday? (((Noodle)))

32. Critter Mom

That's what I'm hoping, Patty. :nailbiting:

In answer to your question, yep, it's next week our main vet's away. There are quite a few vets at the practice, though, so we've still got normal 24/7 cover should we need it (and I hope we won't!).

What's the latest on Stephanie? How's her mom doing? :bighug:

Mogs

33. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

Stephanie is working on breathing. Her level of oxygen goes down when she gets up. They
    are working with her so when she wants to get up from a prone position she sits on the
    edge of the bed for a bit before continuing. They have an online program to follow her
    BG, oxygen etc. Cam, her husband has to stay with her for 48 hours and last night he
    slept with her in a double bed. I don't think it when that well. LOL Only another night I
    believe and she'll be okay on her own. He's taking good care of her. She has to stay
    in the downstairs for at least two weeks.

I checked in with Jeanne today. She's not doing that great. She's no longer sick with
    covid but now the aftereffects of the illness. She's a long hauler. Her lungs aren't doing
    well. I hope she's getting some physical therapy.

What a terrible illness.

Blue is good. Acting normal other than wanting to eat all the time. His PMPS was 159
    so I gave him a drop of insulin. Layla is much better and Brat too. Teddy, grrrrrr he
    looked at me and pooped on the carpet. :arghh:

Superbowl this weekend Mogs...:)

34. Critter Mom

It truly is, Patty. :(

I'm glad that Stephanie has Cam to look after her. It's good that Jeanne has her hubby too. Thanks for letting us know how she's doing. I'd be grateful if you'd let her know I was asking for her next time you message her. I've not written myself because I am conscious of how hard it must be for her with the brain fog but I would like her to know I miss her and want to see her better.

I will keep them both in my prayers.

(((Stephanie))) (((Jeanne)))

This is great news, especially about the Bluebird. :cat:

Oh dear. Your problem child. Or your worst critic?

Ooh, don't tell me. I know this one. It's what you put supercustard in, right! :p

:bighug:

Mogs

35. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

LOL yes, super custard. It's Sunday in case you were wondering. :D

I did read this was a quirky thing about hyper T cats. They poop inappropriately. I assumed it would get better after he was medicated. He's not there yet.

I will tell Jeanne you are thinking of her and hope she recovers soon. I try to check on her every couple of weeks. It's so shocking she still is ill from covid related issues. I have heard about this on the news. I hope Steph won't have to go through it long term.
    I guess I need to test Bluebird in an hour. I'm out of practice and forget. :rolleyes:

36. Critter Mom

It might take a while to fine tune the dose. When is his next round of blood work due?

Part of why Lúnasa has a sensitive GI tract now stems back to when she became hyper-T. Prior to diagnosis, her digestive system was a complete mess: no sooner did I get food into one end of her but it was coming out the other, and not looking that different to how it did when it went in. (((Noodle)))

Thank you, Patty. I really appreciate it. :bighug: The place just isn't the same without her.

Mogs

37. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

You know, they haven't said anything about blood work. How often do you normally do that for hyper T cats?
    Did I know Noodle was hyper T? I know about her heart issue, blood pressure and kidneys. Poor baby girl.
    You're doing great managing all that.

Blue is 53 +3 and I just gave him a little 20% food. I'll test again in half hour to make sure it's not dropping further.
    I'm out of practice. It's hard getting back in the swing of things.

I always enjoyed Jeanne checking in. I miss her too.

38. Critter Mom

It should be every few weeks to assess whether the med [presumably methimazole?] is keeping the cat's thyroid levels in the target range. The usual drill is to start on a low dose, hold the dose for a few weeks, blood test, adjust dose, hold new dose, blood test, adjust dose, rinse 'n' repeat till an effective dose is determined. Also, kidney parameters should be checked in each round of blood work to make sure that the hyperthyroidism wasn't masking any renal insufficiency.

She *was*. If you remember, I told you that she developed the hypertrophic cardiomyopathy secondary to hyperthyroidism, and that she had successful radioiodine treatment for hyperT a few years ago.

Mogs

39. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

I'm going to call today about Teddy's levels. I need to take Mia in as well. I have an appt. for myself today so it might
    be tomorrow before I can get them in. I do remember now we discussed the Radioiodine treatment and you said Noodle had the
    treatment. I'm still keeping that in mind if I can't get Teddy regulated. I took another furbaby of mine and it worked
    great. They offer it at UGA so I might end up there after all.

Critter Mom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.