29/7 Monty: AMPS 99, +3 90, +6 79, PMPS 86, Being away for a few days

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Tom & Monty, Jul 29, 2020.

1. Tom & Monty

Tom & Monty Member

Good morning all.

On August 8th we're planning on being away for a few days camping. We're trying to figure out what to do for two cycles that we won't be there for.

August 8th AM: we shoot but cannot monitor
    August 8th PM: ?
    August 9th AM: ?
    August 9th PM: we're home

Our friend has offered to feed our cats while we're out but we concerned about asking her to inject as well as monitor BG and make sure he eats enough.

Some questions?

1. Can we just skip two shots? Historically Monty has been fine on single skipped shots and it makes little to no difference to his BG, never tried 2 skips though
    2. Can I prepare the syringes 1 day in advance? I'm nervous about our friend correctly measuring out 0.1U.
    3. Could we have her skip the first shot and inject the second without measuring BG?

2. Tom & Monty

Tom & Monty Member

90@+3. First successful test without needing to heat his ear just now. If he keeps on giving me big enough droplets without heating first then that takes test time down to around 30 seconds total :D

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
  3. Tom & Monty

Tom & Monty Member

He also peed on the carpet today, which he hasn't done in months and it took weeks to break that habbit last time.

He did so after entering his tray, changing his mind and then peeing on the floor. I've changed the litter in case it was a hygiene thing and hope it's a one-off.

After cleaning the carpets I sprayed that area of the skirting board with a citrus based cleaner to keep him away.

4. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

5. Tom & Monty

Tom & Monty Member

He's never had ketones

6. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Im going to tag @Wendy&Neko to see what she thinks about skipping two doses.

7. Tom & Monty

Tom & Monty Member

79@+6, what a beautiful day he's having :)

8. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

lovely cycle. surfing beautifully.

9. Tom & Monty

Tom & Monty Member

PMPS 86, lowest ever PMPS I'm shooting, will monitor at +2 to start with

10. Tom & Monty

Tom & Monty Member

On second thoughts I'm skipping the shot. He's had a low appetite all day and I'm struggling to get him to eat anything except boiled chicken this PM. Tried heating his regular food and using some parmasan on top but he isn't interested.

He's had a low appetite for a few days now and soft poop (although his poop was much better today). I might schedule a vet visit.

11. Tom & Monty

Tom & Monty Member

Some theories I have about the lack of appetite

1. Pancreatitis
    2. We have construction work happening outside the apartment which can be loud
    3. Otherwise ill

For (1) I'd expect other symptoms, he doesn't appear to be in pain and he's playful, laying on his back

For (2) I'd expect an impact to his BG, which I don't see and he doesn't outwardly seem to care about the noise.

For (3) he has had soft poop for a few days, maybe he has a cold?

12. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Well, Max almost never appeared to be in pain with pancreatitis. They are so good at hiding it. Is he sneezing? With a cold that happens and often runny eyes. I’ve had cats with colds. Soft stool can be a symptom of pancreatitis even if he’s never had it before. Skipping insulin when he’s under the weather and not wanting to eat is a good move. I’d still get a +2.

13. Tom & Monty

Tom & Monty Member

He has a bit of the dribbly nose the past few days now I think about it yes. In his previous pancreatitis flare he was very clearly in pain.

14. tiffmaxee

I was surprised the first time I had a cat with a cold. I remember asking my vet if it was possible. She was healthy at the time. Max got a UTI. I gave him a few days of 1/3 if a Zyrtec regular strength twice a day and it went away. It’s known to sometimes increase the appetite. My vet gave his approval.

15. Tom & Monty

Tom & Monty Member

He's finally eaten half his usual amount of food, should I stick to the skip or inject late? If I take his BG now it will be food influenced.

I'm thinking stick to skip, wouldn't want him to go low in the night when I'm asleep.

16. tiffmaxee

I’d skip if I were you. I’m glad he’s eating.

17. Tom & Monty

Tom & Monty Member

Thanks, stuck with the skip. I've finally managed to get him to eat his food entirely, he'd only eat if I sat with him petting him.

Taking him to the vet tomorrow morning for a check up.

tiffmaxee likes this.
  18. tiffmaxee

Vetty vines. I hope you dint need the vet though.

19. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Skipping with a cat not eating well is not always a good idea. Make sure you test for ketones when you can.

Depending what the vet says, and the ketone test result, if both all clear, then I wouldn’t see a problem with skipping two shots.