3.1 and dropping fast

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Alana & Fatty, Feb 20, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alana & Fatty

Alana & Fatty Member

so +7 was 4.2, +7.5 3.3 (fed high carb food at +7), rechecked and 3.1. Eating high carb dry kibble and high carb (both 40% carb) wet food now and trying to get honey into him. This is totally new for us and I'm freaking out

edit: okay, 3.8 now and will test again in a few

Last edited: Feb 20, 2021
  2. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi there--

You're doing great!

Probably OK to hold off on more food right now-- we usually don't do the high-carb unless they drop under 2.7, but it's totally fine you gave him a little extra safety margin (and I'm sure he didn't mind, either!).

Test again in 30mins?

3. Alana & Fatty

Alana & Fatty Member

Thank you! He's up to 5.2 now and will probably shoot off into the blacks because I totally spazzed and basically made him an ice cream sundae. First time he's gone low so although I was reading the hypo sticky during my snack intervention, the speed at which he was dropping (even after his supper) definitely made me go heavy on the "safety margin" -- arghhh.

Critter Mom likes this.
  4. Nan & Amber (GA)

5. Nan & Amber (GA)

No worries-- it's much better to err on the side of caution, especially on the first few dips into greens when you don't really know how he behaves down there.

And he may shoot off into blacks, but he probably would have done that with or without carb intervention. Some cats just gotta bounce, and it's probably been a while since he's seen anything like those lovely greens!

6. Alana & Fatty

Alana & Fatty Member

Hahaha. My face is not so much :D as it is :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: !

Well, he does love to bounce. Now's as good a day as any for that!

Critter Mom likes this.
  7. Nan & Amber (GA)

Pretty good progress today, even if he does end up bouncing from this!

Under SLGS, he's even earned his first reduction, down to 1.75U.

Critter Mom and Alana & Fatty like this.
  8. Alana & Fatty

Alana & Fatty Member

Nan, you are an angel. Thank you and nice to meet you! Today is so weird. Nothing low for 5 weeks and then this!? What a wild ride.

Critter Mom and Nan & Amber (GA) like this.
  9. Nan & Amber (GA)

These kitties do like to keep us on our toes!

When you get a chance, I think you can remove the "911" now (you can always put it back on if he throws you another surprise!).

Deb & Wink likes this.
  10. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

I'm letting Nan handle this one, as I'm working with another new person that is running a bit lower.

I did want to alert Nan to the fact that Alana did a 60/40 mix of LC/HC food today. First day she has done that since 2/15/21 I believe.

4.2 times 18 = 75.6
    3.3 times 18 = 59.4
    3.8 times 18 = 68.4

11. Alana & Fatty

Alana & Fatty Member

Who knew I could remove that, haha. Thank you so very much. Hopefully he won't, but you never know. My vet calls kitties "cliff dwellers" -- it's not that they want to make us freak out (or do they?) ... they just like living on the edge!

12. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

The first time China dropped too low I knew I could give her some syrup but I hadn't really learned how much yet so I dumped a bunch into a bowl and was shocked that she actually liked it! Later on I found out I was supposed to give her a drop or two, not half the bottle :oops::oops::oops:
    Needless to say, her BG went up...and up.....and up!

You're in good company! We live and learn!

13. Nan & Amber (GA)

You know, I saw that in the spreadsheet notes, and actually wrote a comment about it, but erased it because I wasn't sure if that could possibly have had this strong an effect. I forget sometimes that yes, some kitties really are that sensitive to carbs!

Deb & Wink likes this.
  14. Alana & Fatty

Alana & Fatty Member

The fear makes us do crazy things! Now he knows I have a secret stash of really good snacks ... I may have created a monster.

Bonkers, totally bonkers. Now I know. I think 60/40 is probably even an overstatement -- it was basically 1.5 tbsp of the 50 (40% carb)/50 (20% carb) blend I've been using and 1 tsp of the 20% carb.

Things I've learned today: holding the dose for 4 days instead of 3 can really make a difference. A tiny bit less carbs can really make a difference. Fatty likes honey. :cool:

15. Nan & Amber (GA)

Looks like he's back in blues? Have to say, he's been holding decent numbers for a while now :).

It's getting late where I am, so I probably won't be around for your next shot time. How are you feeling about all this? Are you good to shoot the 1.75U (assuming he's high enough by then)?

16. Alana & Fatty

Alana & Fatty Member

Back in blues, phew.

I will go ahead with the 1.75U and monitor him throughout the night -- I don't know if you can answer this, but is the 200/11.1 cut off a reasonable one to give the 1.75U? I'm hoping he will be higher by then anyways but I have no idea what he's up to today.

17. Nan & Amber (GA)

I'm not a prozinc person, but here's my take on this: 200/11.1 is a reasonable cutoff point, but it's a lot lower than you generally shoot, so if it comes to that I'm glad you're planning to monitor tonight.

My prediction looking at his spreadsheet overall would be that it shouldn't be an issue, I expect that he should be much higher at pre-shot, but he's certainly taking his time about it so far!

Alana & Fatty likes this.
  18. Deb & Wink

I am a prozinc person, and the 200/11.1 is a good shoot/no shoot/decision point threshold - for now.
    Fatty DEFINITELY earned a dose reduction with his drop to 55 (3.1 mmol/L) today, using the Prozinc SLGS dosing protocol.
    So the dose for tomorrow AM should be no more than 1.75U.

Headed off to sleep now. I'm exhausted.

19. Alana & Fatty

Alana & Fatty Member

Just got into the yellows and still 2hr before PMPS ... this steady climb is pretty nice, but I seem to be jinxing myself today, so excuse me while I knock on wood!

I will see how we do closer to that time, and if unsure, I will be conservative. THANK YOU for everything tonight!

20. Deb & Wink

See my post before yours Alana. We cross posted, meaning we posted at the same time.

Critter Mom and Alana & Fatty like this.
  21. Nan & Amber (GA)

Thanks, Deb-- now get some sleep :)!

22. Alana & Fatty

Alana & Fatty Member

Thank you both! I really, really appreciate it. I'm not sure if Fats knows how many wonderful people are looking out for him, but I do, so ... thank you. Sleep well!

23. Nan & Amber (GA)

I see Fatty got up to his old tricks pretty quick last night! So considerate of him, to let you get a good night's sleep after the day's excitement!

Deb & Wink likes this.
  24. Alana & Fatty

Alana & Fatty Member

Hehehe. I’m not sure if we can give him all the credit for those blacks — he didn’t even know honey existed (to the best of my knowledge) until I sprung it on him! :arghh:

25. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Ahem! Sir Fatty, if you please, Nan! :p :D

Mogs

26. Alana & Fatty

Alana & Fatty Member

Sir Fatty, the Trickster -- his official name on all government documents.

27. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

28. Deb & Wink

Hide the honey from him, in case he decides to lick the container. I'm forever getting a bit of sticky honey on my fingers when I use my jar, and manage to get some on the outside of the jar too, every single time.;)

Twiddling our thumbs here, while we wait for Fatty to clear that bounce from the lows. :rolleyes: And get use to his new reduced dose.

29. Alana & Fatty

Alana & Fatty Member

Hehe. It's not even a jar, it's a squeezy bear! Better for high speed delivery.

We just got a yellow at +6 ... not a ton of movement (so far!) today, but some, and nothing too scary. I will be patient -- guess he just needs a little bit longer to adjust, and then when he does, he really does! I'll give it a few days before trying a bit of a different food ratio, but I will be even more conservative this time -- maybe instead of 5.5oz high carb/6 oz lower carb, I'll do 5.5oz high carb/7.5 lower carb. Easy does it ... :nailbiting:

Deb & Wink likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.