? 3/1 Torky - 5 green days, but not under 50!

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Irina and Torky, Mar 1, 2023.

1. Irina and Torky

Irina and Torky Member

Hi, the numbers look better and better, but they still haven't dropped (or I didn't catch it!!) below 50, so that I can reduce the dose according to TR. What do you advise me? Do I stay like this until it drops more? Thank you!!

2. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Wow! Torky's numbers are looking great! :D It's possible he has dropped below 50 and you haven't caught it. We go by the numbers we see. Is it possible to get more tests? There are some cycles in which there are no tests?

There are 2 ways for a cat to earn a reduction when following TR:
    "Newly diagnosed diabetics - less than one year since diagnosis
    • reduction *earned* after a single drop below 50 mg/dL and following TR, or
    • reduction *earned* after 3 drops between 40 - 50 mg/dL on three separate days for kitties who have shown they do not hold reductions well and following TR, or
    • reduction *earned* when the cat regularly has its lowest BGs in the normal range of a healthy cat (50 - 80 mg/dL) and stays under 100 mg/dl overall for at least one week and following TR."
    Here is the sticky - Reminder: *earning* reductions and starting OTJ trials

He has been in normal numbers for 4 days now. So another 3 days for a week in normal numbers to earn a reduction. Unless he drops below 50 before that!

Link to previous post:
    https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/2-25-torky-57-amps-is-it-ok-to-keep-the-dose.274594/

3. Irina and Torky

Irina and Torky Member

Thank you very much for the information! So I hope for a few more green days!
    I will be able to test more on Saturday and Sunday. When there are no tests, I am at work most of the time. Since the cat got sick, I have reduced as much as possible the time spent at work (fortunately, in some periods, the time is flexible), but there are days when I have to be there as much as needed.
    Otherwise, we don't go out at all anymore - there are 2 more months until we have to leave the country for 8-10 days and I'm looking for a solution for that time...

Sorry I didn't write the previous link (I knew I should) - I was in a hurry to leave and realized I forgot to give him a medicine - poor kitten, he has so many medicines to take...

4. Bandit's Mom

You would keep him on a lower "vacation dose" which is decided a few days before based on what h is numbers look like. I guess you will have someone come to your place to feed him and give him insulin?

Irina and Torky likes this.
  5. Irina and Torky

Irina and Torky Member

That's a problem - he has someone to stay with - fed, pampered, etc. - anything but biting! He stays with either my mother or my mother-in-law - and neither of them will ever bite the cat. So for testing and insulin he must be taken to the veterinary office across the street - which has a 9-19 schedule (so 10 hours, not 12). At the moment I don't see another solution, I don't know where to find someone to give him the injection at home....

6. Bandit's Mom

Do you have any petsitting options there? Let me tag @Marina & Chico. She's from Romania but I think she lives in the Czech Republic.

7. Irina and Torky

Irina and Torky Member

There are a few, they usually walk dogs, feed cats and clean the litter box - I doubt they know how to give injections and test BG... but I'll ask.

8. Bandit's Mom

Even if they can't test its okay. See if you can find someone to give the shots. Many people cannot find sitters who can test or have cats who won't let anybody else test. That's why we have the concept of a vacation dose.

Of course, if you can get one that can test, that's a bonus. Your mother or mother in law cannot test?

9. Irina and Torky

Irina and Torky Member

No, under no circumstances, none of them will go near the cat with any needle!!!:(

Bandit's Mom likes this.