3/10 Apache is very hungry at +8

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Apache & Ric, Mar 10, 2023.

1. Apache & Ric

Apache & Ric Member

2. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Ric ,I'm sorry I can't answer that question maybe tag a few members that have helped you in your previous post :cat:
    One thing for this post today can you do your title like this so members can see this at a glance
    3-10 Apache AMPS -298/297+2/287+8 , you can add a ? In front of the date
    This is how we post on the lantus board :cat:
    Can you also add SLGS to your signature
    To do this look to the right you will see the word Thread Tools tap on that then tap on Edit title
    and post like I said above and tap save

3. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Yes you can. The only time you don't want to feed is in the 2 hour window before the shot i.e after +10. This is so that the preshot test is not food influenced. However if she is dropping low, you would feed even in that 2 hour window.

Max & Lori and Apache & Ric like this.
  4. Apache & Ric

Apache & Ric Member

Looks like her numbers are high. Should I go back to 1.5 u

5. JL and Chip

JL and Chip Well-Known Member

Try not to focus on one cycle (12-hour window) but rather look at a block cycles that include the past few days. Lantus builds a “depot” (think of a gas tank) over time and you need to give the depot time to fill and settle before you can truly see what a particular dose will do. Changing dose too frequently can disrupt things and make the impact of a particular dose murky and slow down forward progress.

Try to think about dialing in a dose of Lantus as a slow, methodical process.

By skipping a shot yesterday (which was fine, by the way, safety first and you’re new to Lantus), you’ve impacted the depot so need a bit more time to see what 1.25u will do. I’d stay at that dose for a few days (unless Apache drops below 90, which is an automatic decrease), and see how things shake out. It’s not at all uncommon to see higher numbers in the early days and those numbers aren’t terrible. Plus, it appears you’re using a pet meter — if so, those tend to read higher than human meters.

Lantus requires a different mindset than Vetsulin, which can be hard to wrap your head around in the beginning, especially is you’ve seen the big BG swings common with Vetsulin. Try to sit on your hands and be patient and stick with a consistent Lantus dose if you can. It all seems complicated in the beginning, but take a deep breath and don’t be afraid to ask for help. I’m confident you’ll get your Lantus footing soon.

babyg and Apache & Ric like this.
  6. Diane Tyler's Mom

7. Diane Tyler's Mom

Ric on 3-9 when you got the BG number of 100 can you manually color code it blue
    Same with the BG number of 136
    The BG number that was 307 should be colored in pink
    Just so those numbers stand out
    If you can color code where you wrote Started Lantus on 3-7 PM cycle ,any color that would be great, we need it to stand out :cat:
    @Apache & Ric

Last edited: Mar 10, 2023
  8. Apache & Ric

Apache & Ric Member

Thanx fot the explanation. Unfortunately her shot came up b4 ur response and I gave 1.5 cause people were all over me. I reduced it when She hit 93 and i was chastised for moving the goal posts

9. Apache & Ric

Apache & Ric Member

About the meter.thats what I remember being told. It was higher SO wouldn't a reading of 93 with my meter be actually below 90 ?

10. Diane Tyler's Mom

Ric it doesn't matter if you are using a pet meter or a human meter
    When following the dosing method SLGS anytime Apache drops under 90 you would decrease .
    Can you please add SLGS to your signature , tap on your name up top ,then tap on signature and add SLGS then tap save
    Pet meters will always read higher then human meters but you only reduce when he drops under 90 with SLGS

11. Apache & Ric

Apache & Ric Member

I did

12. Diane Tyler's Mom

Just saw it thanks

13. JL and Chip

Diane, I understand. I was more or less concurring with Wendy’s post (#34) from yesterday and offering what I hoped to be insight and support.

For anyone reading: I don’t mean to be contrarian, but I don’t believe it was “wrong” to go to 1.25u with the BG of 93, despite it not technically being under 90. I fully understand that the official reduction number for SLGS is 90, but I also believe that in this particular case, given the recent switch to Lantus, lower PS, skipped shot, anxiety from seeing big swings in Vetsulin, and assuming no history of DKA or ketones, it was a reasonable decision. Sometimes we need to take baby steps, and if going to 1.25u and collecting data gives some confidence and reassurance, then so be it. IMHO anyway.

Ric, please try not to take a response personally or feel attacked. It’s sometimes hard to show intent in a written response, so I totally get how you can feel that way. Just remember that we’re often busy and respond quickly without massaging the words to make them feel a certain way. Everyone around here cares and will try to help, so please keep posting and asking questions. It’ll get easier. And remember: it’s all about the cats. :)

14. Apache & Ric

Apache & Ric Member

Today I gave 1.5, should have stayed at 1.25. I need an answer one way or the other. In Wendy's post i thought she meant that I should increase to 1.5 when I felt I could trust the shot. No one answered this morning so I did what I thought I was told

15. Apache & Ric

Apache & Ric Member

Now u no why I'd be willing to pay for sound advise. This forum is turning into fb

16. JL and Chip

Please don’t take it that way. I believe 1.5u is a fine choice as well, and perhaps I misinterpreted Wendy’s prior post. Regardless, it’s about putting a figurative stake in the sand (choosing a dose), collecting data, and letting the data guide you by following the chosen dosing method or protocol. That way you’re being methodical, which will help you get to to the appropriate dose.

Apologies if I’ve caused confusion. FD is full of nuances and I was responding as such. I think you might need fewer voices so I’ll go back into lurker mode. Good luck and hang in there.

17. Apache & Ric

Apache & Ric Member

No apologizes needed. I was hoping ud stick around. U seemed to actually understand the situation from my point of view and where I'm comin from.

18. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Ric, sorry I haven't around to help today, but life happens. All of us here are volunteers and stop in as time permits.

A couple things will help you get more attention to your post when you need help. First, please read this thread on POSTING GUIDELINES PLEASE READ including the embedded post: Making the Most of your Lantus, Levemir, & Biosimilars ISG Experience

The Lantus forum is a busy one, and we've put together some posting guidelines that help us help people faster, and get to those who need help ASAP. First, we put a subject line together to start with that has more than text, we also list the blood sugar results so far today. Take a look at the titles of some of the other people's posts. At a quick glance, we can see where you are at, and see if you need help, sometimes even if you don't know it yet. After the blood sugar numbers, can put in question text. If you have a question, we suggest that you change the subject prefix to "?" and a brief paraphrase of the question on the subject line. Something like "what dose?" would have summarized and let people know that giving dosing suggestions to take a look. Once you have your answer, remove the "?" from the prefix, so we know you got the answer.

There are several of us who scan subject titles to see who needs help. Following the above will ensure you get noticed.

As far as the dose goes, the SLGS dosing method says that once you are on a dose, you stick with that dose for 7 days, then do a curve, and decide if you need to increase. The only exception is if you see the cat go under 90, in which case you decrease immediately. My post yesterday said that it was OK to decrease if you felt more comfortable doing so. In the beginning, it's much easier to start on a little bit lower dose and work your way up, that fight low numbers - should that happen. JL was exactly right in reading what I said.

19. Apache & Ric

Apache & Ric Member

Thank you. You have been very helpful. Everything was on cruise control till I saw the 99 at ps. Though I know Lantus is different than vetsulin, I'm sure it can still kill as quickly if a cat gets hypo. I just needed confirmation that it was OK and didn't want to make an irreversible mistake. When u suggested I look at Lando,s ss and others ,,,I was able to see that members were making ps shots at that low numbers. By the time I can collect the required info, the shot time has passed. I must make the decision I see as safest, though it may not be the correct one. I am a fast learner snd will only need a little more guidance and I'll be self sufficient. I understand the members time is valuable and graciously volunteered and that there are many more who need help. I'm just a little bit away from getting a handle on Lantus if youre able to bear with me for just for a short time longer. I may have misunderstood u. I understood that it was OK to decrease the dose to 1.25 for my / apaches safety I just thought u meant to increase back to 1.5 when I felt comfortable doing so. I failed to see it needed to be that way for 7 days. I'm just gonna stay right where I'm at. She's back In blue

20. Diane Tyler's Mom

21. Karen and Chispa

Karen and Chispa Well-Known Member

Ric, FWIW, your post brings me right back to last July, when Chispa was first diagnosed. The amount of information that needed to be absorbed -- instantaneously, it seemed - felt overwhelming and confusing. It was so frustrating to get conflicting input and have NO idea how to sort it out, because how can you know, when this is all so new?? On top of it all, I felt like one false move and Chispa would be dead, and it would all be my fault —- no pressure or anything!!!!

Yet somehow, she has survived all of my ignorance and confusion and missteps, and with the help of the AMAZING folks on this forum, she has made great progress. And so will Apache … it just takes time. Remember, cats are pretty resilient creatures. You don’t have to be perfect, just careful and caring — and it’s obvious that you are.

Best wishes to you and Apache, who btw is ADORABLE!!

Apache & Ric likes this.
  22. Apache & Ric

Apache & Ric Member

thank you for the reassuring words. its still tough though. Chispa is quite the looker too !

Karen and Chispa likes this.
  23. Karen and Chispa

Karen and Chispa Well-Known Member

:cat: