3/10 Tux AMPS 386 PMPS 155, +1 172

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Jenny&Tux, Mar 10, 2023.

1. Jenny&Tux

Jenny&Tux Member

Hi!

New here - I need some advice…
    I don’t have a spreadsheet set up yet - Tux is still in his first week of insulin - glargine.

I test both AMPS and PMPS - they’ve been anywhere between 270 and 425 - giving 1 unit twice a day.

I decided to test him today at +6, and he was 367.

I did his PMPS just now, and he was 149 and 155. I did it twice because he’s never been that low.

Should I continue with his normal PM shot?

And just fyi, I gave him his AM shot in his flank, where normally I have been giving it in the scruff - that’s where the vet showed me, but as I’ve been reading, there are better places to shoot, so I did the flank.

Thanks!

Edited to add @9:05pm (PST)
    I have updated/corrected the title, and (hopefully) successfully added Tux’s SS to my signature.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2023
  2. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

3. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Welcome. You do need a spreadsheet for dosing advice usually. Stall. Don’t feed and test in 30 minutes. Post the resells. You can shoot if high enough any location.

4. Jenny&Tux

Jenny&Tux Member

Thank you for the speedy reply.

I can’t access my Google account at the moment - technical difficulties.

He’s been on glargine since Monday. I just fed him his dinner, and he ate maybe 1/3, which is not unusual.

He also had 1 T Orijen dry at 5pm (2.5 hrs ago). Ate all.

Thanks for any advice.

5. Jenny&Tux

Jenny&Tux Member

I already fed him :banghead:

I’m trying to get my SS going - For some reason, Google can’t verify my account so I can use Google Sheets. I just might make up another email just so I can get one created.

6. Bandit's Mom

Has it been 20 mins since the last test? You could get another one and see if his BG is rising. If he just ate, food will take another 15-20 mins to affect his numbers.

Btw, the Orijen dry is 20% carbs. Way too high. Will he eat only canned food? If he is a kibble addict, there are low carb options in dry food as well – Young Again, Dr. Elsey’s Cleanprotein and Wysong Epigen 90.

tiffmaxee likes this.
  7. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Can you monitor tonight if your shoot? Do you have plenty of test strips and hc food and honey if needed? Test again as Bhooma suggested. We cross posted.

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  8. Jenny&Tux

Jenny&Tux Member

I retested twice just now and he was 168 and 169.
    Ate about 10-15 minutes ago.

Thank you for the food advice. He is most definitely a kibble addict. The Orijen was the lowest carb % I could find in person right away, because I wanted to stop feeding him the Costco brand that he was eating. I’m trying to find a good kibble to buy, at least to try and ween him off of it slowly. He doesn’t eat enough wet if I don’t put a little dry in it as well.

9. Jenny&Tux

Jenny&Tux Member

I can monitor until we go to bed, so maybe for the next 3 or 4 hours.
    I have corn syrup, honey, and 2 cans of FF w/gravy.
    I tested just now and he was 168 and 169 (I did it twice)

10. Bandit's Mom

The 168-169 could have been food-influenced or not. If you can monitor, go ahead and shoot him :)

11. Jenny&Tux

Jenny&Tux Member

We can’t monitor all night long, though.
    He’s never been this low before - he was 524 (blood test results) at diagnosis.

12. Jenny&Tux

Jenny&Tux Member

I just tested again at 9:15pm (USA, PST) and he was 169

We did not give him insulin - I was too worried about having him go Hypo as we slept.

Are these numbers strange? He was at 367 at +6 this afternoon

13. Bandit's Mom

Thanks for setting up the SS. It says "1" under the U column for tonight. Since you didn't shoot, you want to change that to 0.

It's good to see lower numbers. The normal range is 50-100 with a human meter so he is still comfortably over that. Lantus can give lovely flat cycles when you are shooting lower numbers. Over time, you can shoot any number over 90 with SLGS. However, since he is new to insulin and you do not have enough data on how he responds to it, it was okay to skip.

Since you are feeding dry food, you would follow the SLGS dosing protocol detailed here:
    Dosing Methods: Start Low, Go Slow (SLGS) & Tight Regulation (TR)

There is a section in the sticky that details how to handle lower preshots.

14. Jenny&Tux

Jenny&Tux Member

Thank you for pointing out the error - I have updated

Thanks for the SLGS protocol! I think I had read that before, but it’s hard to retain so much information all at once.

He’s not eating all dry - I’m trying to slowly switch him over, which he’s not happy about. He gets maybe 2-3T a day throughout the day mixed with wet.

I will test him one more time before bed just out of curiosity.

Thanks again for the reply!

Bandit's Mom likes this.