3/15 Mr Kitty AMPS 355, +3 354, +6 463

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by FrostD, Mar 15, 2021.

1. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Hi all,

Previous thread

His appetite has been lower the past few days, eating about 1/4-1/2 can less - not unusual for him when his numbers are about to get better so didn't think much of it.

Problem being last night he only ate maybe a tsp, and so far today another tsp. Not drinking much water either. He will eat his PureBites treats, just not interested in wet. He's normally a pig and eats whatever I put down, so this is totally new for us.

So several questions -
    How much longer do I let this go before syringe feeding him food and water? I watered down his wet to see if that'll help.

What should I be looking out for? How often check ketones? No history of DKA. I've heard dental issues can cause these issues, should I be looking at anything else?

Do I still give full dose tonight? I'm assuming hold off on tomorrow's AM scheduled increase?

Thanks!

2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

It also could be pancreatitis. He might be nauseous. When Max first got it he was willing to eat some dry food and treats so it never occurred to me he might be nauseous. Have you tried gerbers seconds baby food? That sometimes works. I would syringe feed this afternoon because cats can get fatty liver in just a few days f not eating about 3/4 of the usual amount. He can develop food aversions if fed when nauseous so don’t syringe his favorite food unless he seems really interested. I’d call your vet just in case it’s hard to get an appointment. I hope it won’t be necessary.

Just syringe small amounts hourly. It might motivate him to eat.

3. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Ah,
    Ah thanks, didn't think of that. Is there a list somewhere of which Gerber foods are ok? The meat ones all say "with gravy", but at this point I'm sure any food is better than nothing. On hold with vet, but they're usually pretty good with situations like this.

Any suggestions for tonight's dose?

4. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    These are the ones you want even though they say gravy

tiffmaxee and FrostD like this.
  5. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Thanks Diane!

Vet recommending hospitalizing overnight in case of DKA ($200-600 stay vs thousands at emergency vet), and they'd run bloodwork, possible x rays if warranted. Decisions decisions

6. tiffmaxee

Can you do a ketone test to see?

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  7. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Your welcome Melissa :bighug::bighug:

8. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Yes was 0.8 this morning planning to do another in a few here and try to syringe some fokd, that will probably be deciding factor for us.

9. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Still 0.8 and he's gobbling down syringed food, weirdo. DH opened a fresh can and he's up and eating that now. Probably just wanted breakfast in bed. Going to keep him at home and keep an eye on him.

10. tiffmaxee

That’s good. Get him to eat as much as you can snd add water. :bighug:

FrostD likes this.
  11. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Some of the Beechnut baby foods are also OK. Just check the ingredients that they are only mean (no flour or onions/garlic).

If he's eating and fine now, do you mind updating the subject line so we know the crisis is over. I hope. :bighug:

FrostD likes this.
  12. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Full dose tonight?

13. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I presume he'll still be high at PMPS. As long as you can get some food in him, I'd shoot full dose.

FrostD likes this.
  14. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Turns out he didn't eat what DH gave him, just licked the "gravy". Just force-fed some watered down wet, poor guy. Gonna be a long night, probably vet in the morning.

Thanks for your help!