? 3/17 Mr Kitty AMPS 347 Pancreatitis Questions

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by FrostD, Mar 17, 2021.

1. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Yesterday

Two more questions-

How do I know when a flare is "over"? Do I stop app stim first to see if he still eats? Then stop anti nausea? Or stop both at same time? Then if he won't eat, give them again? How do I know when to start/stop subQ fluids?

Is it best to hold the dose during a flare, since the eating is hit or miss? I was tempted to raise the dose again this morning since he's been eating, but was hesitant since that could change. He's still high so I have wiggle room, but at lower numbers I might not.

Thanks!

2. JaxBenji

JaxBenji Well-Known Member

I have zero experience with pancreatitis but just wanted to drop this link off - A Primer on Pancreatitis

Lots on the board of have pancreatitis experience so I'm sure they will be by. Hugs to you and Mr. Kitty.

3. Pamela & Amethyst

Pamela & Amethyst Well-Known Member

4. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Hi. Good questions. The only way I know to figure out if a flare is over is to watch the symptoms. When he acts normal with whatever medications he’s getting for several days I would remove or reduce one thing at a time and see how Max did. Definitely start with the appetite stimulant. If giving once a day skip a day and see how it goes for after several days without it. If the appetite is good then start reducing but not cold turkey the nausea medication. Used ondansetron so would go from twice a day to once and see how he did. If you change more than one thing and he’s not doing well you won’t know which one you need to add back. I hope this helps.

Suzanne & Darcy and FrostD like this.
  5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Higher numbers are one thing to make him feel unwell. I always increased if something was making Neko feel off and raise her numbers. But I could always assist feed to make sure she got at least 2/3 of the calories she needed. If you don't increase, make sure you test ketones regularly. Not enough insulin, plus inappetance, plus inflammation/infection are a bad combo.

The +3 looks promising.

6. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Adding to my links, thank you!

7. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Perfect, thank you.

What about subQ? Just kind of "best guess" decision if he's not eating/drinking normal amount?

I did schedule a consult with regular vet to talk about all this too, but no openings til next week

8. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Who knew, potential benefit of days without eating could be breaking through to some lower numbers :confused:

I've been testing blood ketones at least daily since he started eating less, fingers crossed they stay where they're at.

I'll plan to increase tonight

9. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

You know how to check his hydration? Pick up the scruff, should snap back quickly. Gums should be moist not tacky.

FrostD likes this.
  10. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

11. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Do you guys think it's just a fluke I'm seeing "good" numbers?

I'm getting blood more easily and it even appears much thinner/less viscous on strips. Perhaps result of fluids? So lower BG concentration?