3/22 Jack 248@AMPS, still on 7u-question on sedatives and BG

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Jack & Mopem'sMom, Mar 22, 2023.

1. Jack & Mopem'sMom

Jack & Mopem'sMom Well-Known Member

Yesterday was just too messed up to write about, so i'll just apologize for not getting online and move on.

Jack had been holding onto the 100's range and we had 93 as an AMPS yesterday, but then he climbed steadily throughout the day and we ended at 233, which I wasn't too panicked about because he has been having pretty decent AMPS numbers the past couple of days. But then this morning we woke up to that 248 and his insistence on prime filets for breakfast and now I'm just sitting here depressed over his numbers and my inability to get him to eat the proper diet, even though it's not from lack of trying. I'm also stressing a potential rise in numbers on Friday afternoon because we are going to the vet for his yearly checkup and he absolutely hates to travel and often messes himself in the crate before we get there, which makes additional stress when we get there and he has to get cleaned.

So, all that being said, my question is about sedatives affecting BG numbers or other aspects of his condition. My one cat turns into a feral beast at the vet and he is prescribed a cocktail of gabapentin and buprinex which makes his a mellow fellow. I know they would give me the same combo for Jack if I asked, and at the last appointment, the vet claimed these drugs would not affect Jack or his numbers if we went that route for his appointment. But ,as with all things diabetic cat related, I do think the folks on here have a much wider range of experience and offer some excellent advice/suggestions/ideas on what has worked for them or others in the past. So, if anyone has anything to offer on the question of gabapentin and buprinex affecting their sugar babies, I would really appreciate the feedback!

Thanks in advance and hope everyone has a good day!

Last thread: https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB...ps-big-swings-on-7-units.275497/#post-3057128

Deb and Sylvester likes this.
  2. Deb and Sylvester

Deb and Sylvester Well-Known Member

Hi Christine!

I cannot speak on the buprinex, but I have used Gabapentin for Sly's vet visits, and also my last sugar cat Luigi, with no noticeable BG spikes.

Last week when I took Sly, he had 25mg of Gabapentin, his BG was 216 at home and 221 at the vet's. He also peed in the carrier . :confused:

Your tale is very relatable!!:p

Jack & Mopem'sMom likes this.
  3. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

I've only used gabapentin for Tyler once and it didn't raise his BG

4. Diane Tyler's Mom

@Suzanne & Darcy
    @Wendy&Neko

5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Lots of people here have used gaba for vet visits. With Neko I just used Feliway spray in her carrier and Rescue Remedy for Pets before the visit. She was also on buprenorphine regularly for pain. None of them increased her blood sugar. The bupe actually helped because numbers can go up with pain. As long as it's not compounded with sugar, you should be OK.

6. Jack & Mopem'sMom

Thanks for the input, I really appreciate it. Sorry about the carrier :(

Deb and Sylvester likes this.
  7. Jack & Mopem'sMom

Thanks, I appreciate your input!

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  8. Jack & Mopem'sMom

Great, thanks. Not sure how I would find out if it's compounded with sugar...should the vet know the answer to this question?

9. Diane Tyler's Mom

I would probably ask the pharmacist :cat:

10. Jack & Mopem'sMom

They don't write me a script, they dispense from the vet clinic- I go ahead of the appointment to pick it up, but I got slammed with work and never got there, so Jack is going with no meds. Good luck to us all! :nailbiting:

11. Diane Tyler's Mom

Sorry about that, good luck with the vet visit, poor Jack , I feel so bad that he gets so stressed out :bighug::cat:. Let me know how you make out today