? 3/23, Susie, 223 AMPS, 267 @+3, 204 @+6, 233 @+9. 212 PMPS Question

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Summer and Susie (GA), Mar 23, 2021.

1. Summer and Susie (GA)

Summer and Susie (GA) Well-Known Member

https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/3-22-susie-227-amps.245063/

First day at 1.75 units. Such a tiny increase it is hard to see where it might make a difference.

Prayers to those who have recently lost their furballs.

QUESTION: Susie has been doing well for several days - until this afternoon/evening. She did not want to eat her dinner and I'm hoping she will go back to it. She was 212 @PMPS and got her full shot (1.75). I have to be gone tomorrow morning, around 7:45, for two to three hours and if she still isn't eating normally in the am can I take her AMPS shot back down to 1.50? Of course I will test her prior to any shot in the morning. It is very rare when she is not hungry for breakfast, dinner and everything in between. I will get a before bed test tonight, too. Hopefully, it won't be a night where I have to get up and test in the middle of the night because tomorrow will be stressful for me but I will if I have to.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2021
  2. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Good luck with the new dose.

Summer and Susie (GA) likes this.
  3. Summer and Susie (GA)

Thanks, Carla. So frustrating to get a 204 at nadir. Just wish we drop into the blues.

4. JaxBenji

JaxBenji Well-Known Member

Good luck with the new dose :cat: Paws crossed you'll see more blues soon...until then patience :p Have a good day, Summer!

5. Summer and Susie (GA)

Thanks. I know I have asked this question a hundred times but why is it that her +3 numbers can be so much higher than the AMPS? It shouldn't be food spike and you would think the insulin would have already kicked in but she went from 223 @AMPS to 267 @+3.

6. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

Darcy's Lantus never really kicks in until about +4. He eats at AMPS and always gets a little bit of a spike after eating.

7. Suzanne & Darcy

Oh yes, Summer. It is soooo frustrating to have such a flat "curve" (line) with a very disappointing nadir. Been there done that, have a drawer full of t-shirts! You're taking it better than I usually do. I have been known to write things like.... "this insulin is doing nothing... NOTHING!" which isn't exactly true, but it sure feels like it on some days. Some days I can tell that what it is doing is keeping him from going too high... even though it's not taking him down very low. I'm sorry! Also remember that, even though it's only a .25 increase, it can still cause some NDW (Darcy's is always worse on Day 2 after an increase).

8. Summer and Susie (GA)

Thanks, Suzanne. What concerns me now is that she didn't want to eat her dinner. I'll test her again before bed and if I have to I'll get up at midnight and test again. I may have a long morning away from the house tomorrow so I'm concerned about the small increase she had today and if it didn't make her feel a little bad.

9. JaxBenji

JaxBenji Well-Known Member

So I'm not an SS reading expert but I'll throw in my two cents (*take them with a grain of salt, k?*) - the past couple days where her +3s were a little bit higher than AMPS, it looks like she might have been bouncing from wherever she went at night.

• On PM of 03/21 Susie saw blue at +2 (you should color that cell blue BTW :)...two out of three readings were right there at 200) and she probably went even lower - then she bounced a little bit the next morning.
    • On PM of 03/22, Susie again had a nearly a 50 point drop at +2 and she probably went lower - then she bounced again the next morning

When you see those drops at +2 (AM or PM cycle), I'd try to get a +4ish (or even earlier once you get to lower blues/greens).

Does Susie eat at night?

10. Suzanne & Darcy

Oh no. I hope you can get her to eat! Of course, you need to take into consideration what she's eaten over the course of the whole day. But... I'm sure you know about trying things like Forti-Flora, parmesan cheese sprinkled on food, tuna juice... what else... I'm trying to think. Those are the first line of things that I try. Sometimes they work.

11. Suzanne & Darcy

If Darcy has a fever or infection (high white count) none of that stuff will usually get him to eat.

12. Butters & Lyla

Butters & Lyla Well-Known Member

Is she nauseous? Is she staring at her food, maybe smacking her lips, looking like she wants to eat? Or do you think she is just bored/being fussy with her food or not hungry?

fwiw, I keep a few emergency tins of salt-free sardines around...a little bit of the juice on top will get Butters to eat anything when she is being fussy.

13. Summer and Susie (GA)

Most nights she eats at PMPS and then again around +2.50 plus she has access to a snack around 11:00pm. She did not want her dinner tonight or her +2 half dinner. I've got a big morning tomorrow and am going to bed (8:00). I'll try to get a +4 but need sleep tonight.

JaxBenji likes this.
  14. Summer and Susie (GA)

No nauseous. Just disinterested. She came out quite a bit this evening and I even let her outside for awhile. She acts like she feels better but just isn't hungry.