3/24 Fred AMPS 441, +3 362, +9 200, PMPS 120, +2 102 Mr. Fred's Wild Ride

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Purrberry, Mar 25, 2021.

1. Purrberry

Purrberry Member

Well, we made it through my vacation, but not without a great deal of drama. Fortunately, my pet sitter was amazing, able to test and then some, so we worked through all the literal ups and downs.

The spreadsheet says it best. Fred is all over the map. My pet sitter said she has never seen anything like it. I'm thrilled that SOMETHING seems to be breaking, but of course, Fred saved his first-ever greens for while I was away! And a day where there was a 600 point drop in 12 hours?? Just nuts.

Fred was due for an increase to 6u before I left, but I chickened out, worried he might eat less while I was gone. (sorry @Wendy&Neko for staying put!) As it turns out, I'm very glad I held his dose, because, with the spikes, I can only suspect there were a few lows in there (low to Fred) The other bizarre thing is that he cleared these bounces within a day or 12 hours, when usually he hangs on to those for 3 days.

My main suspicion...less dry food. Historically when I'm away, they get dry food in their timers for both a snack during the day, and overnight. I had cut down on the dry even before I left, and for whatever reason, he didn't seem to want to eat as much of it as he normally would. (I can see them on camera) It could have just been stress, or that I wasn't there for him to beg me for food. I am now still following the "vacation feeding" plan, to see if I can get apples to apples of what's going on.

My bottom line is, I don't know what to dose him anymore! He seems to have a very late nadir. When I heard he was 75 at AMPS on the 22nd, I nearly fell over. Then 120 last night at PMPS. (and dropping after that) But I know I can't have the dose all over the place. I had hoped dropping him to 5 while I was away would flatten him out a bit, but I don't think it has. And Fred does NOT like to be in green. At 96, he was lethargic and not purry at all. This was just when I arrived home, which normally would have been euphoria.

So...keep at 5? I don't think I have the guts to shoot 5u at numbers like 120, though! And I KNOW he is not happy with these swings, poor boy. I also detected blood in his urine yesterday, while testing for ketones. Brought a sample to the vet. The plan is to wait a couple of days and get another sample, as all else was well in the urinalysis. They think maybe sterile cystitis due to the stress of me being gone. If there is still blood at that time, we'll go on ABX.

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Welcome back - nice of Fred to show good - too bad it was while you were gone. Cats!:cat: The first time cats see normal numbers if not used to it, they can feel off. I liken it to being used to a lot of caffeine (high blood sugar) and how you feed when your supply is cut off. He will start to feel better in lower numbers, as he spends more time there. Neko hid under the bed at her first greens. :rolleyes:

Getting rid of dry food can make a huge difference. We've seen a few cats now show the difference even with the Dr. Elsey's. If you can stick with 5 units until we get a stable depot and some good data, that'll help us figure out what to do with the dose. Unless he goes under 90 again of course, which means a reduction with SLGS.

3. Purrberry

Purrberry Member

So...he hit 75 (and I suspect went lower) when he was at 5u. Does that mean I should have reduced to 4.5 at that time, and stayed there? He was also at 4.5 when he went to 96.

I just wish his body would LET him stay in the lower numbers! His liver just doesn't give him the chance.

Would you do a full dose (5 or 4.5) at 120? :nailbiting: :nailbiting: I think that would terrify me, especially at night!

4. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

It's also hard to say if he was eating less with you not there, that's not uncommon. And whether the larger depot was in play (it would have been for the 96 and influencing the 75). With the mixed up dosing and eating less, it's harder to say what his dose should be. Though if you stick with same dose, and know he'll eat better, we'll get a better picture of what his dose should be. Your call if you want to stick with 5 units cause you think he was eating less while you were gone, or go down to 4.75 units for a 0.25 unit reduction earned with the 75.

You shot a 151 before, not a lot higher. And you got data last night that showed you that half a dose didn't do him any favours today. It does become easier with time and data to shoot those lower numbers. I personally preferred shooting lower numbers and shot a much lower number with a higher dose, but that's me and when I had data to do so and was following TR. I never did skip or reduce a shot based on preshot values with Neko. Flatter preshots mean flatter cycles.

5. Purrberry

Purrberry Member

I did. I remember gritting my teeth for that one! And I was dismayed, but not surprised, to see this morning's number. I never know if it is a bounce or the reduced dose. Likely both.

I think I'll try and stick with 5. He was eating less, not by a huge amount, but less is less. I don't want to lose hard-fought ground! And that is down from the 5.5 I left town on.