3/28 Thomas AMPS too high to read, +2 too high to read

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Mrs B. Thomas Mom, Mar 28, 2021.

1. Mrs B. Thomas Mom

Mrs B. Thomas Mom New Member

This is my first post here, so please forgive my ignorance. Thomas has been on Lantus 1 unit 2x daily. On Friday, I was to do a curve to report to my vet. I mistakenly gave him 2 units in the am instead of 1. His readings throughout the day got lower and lower until 60, and he showed mild signs of hypo (again new at this) so I panicked and gave him 1 feeding of high carb rescue food. Saturday was 1 unit twice a day his lowest reading was 553. Today Sunday his amps was "hi" on the relion Meyer. At +2 still reads "hi". We were doing so well, and I screwed him up now. Messed up an accurate curve. I'm concerned that his numbers are so high that the 1 unit isn't doing anything now. Still trying a curve today, but so far I can't get a number at all. I feel like such a failure. Do I continue 1 unit and recurve this week sometime? My spreadsheet is not up to date, I've had issues accessing it on my phone.

2. JaxBenji

JaxBenji Well-Known Member

Hi - Welcome :bighug: I'm not one to give dosing advice buttt do know that those give advice need the data to help. I'm not sure what phone you have, but I use google sheets on my phone & iPad to quickly enter data and then add my notes and things once I get on my computer.

If you get the data filled in, I'm sure some of the more experienced folks will be able to advise to dosing. If you haven't already, check out the stickies at the top of the board - lots of info (& lots and lots...overwhelming! - just take small bites and ask questions!)

Hang in there, you're in the right place :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Mrs B. Thomas Mom likes this.
  3. Mrs B. Thomas Mom

I feel like an idiot because I deal in spreadsheets every day of my life at work, but can't for the life of me figure how to access and update the spreadsheet I created. I can open it, but can't edit it. I struggle to even locate it after I have been in it at one time. :banghead:

JaxBenji likes this.
  4. JaxBenji

Oh no, it's okay :bighug: If you have the google sheets app on your phone/tablet, it will show up as one of your documents. On a web browser, you can go to sheets.google.com and as long as you are logged into your google account, it will show up there. I'm sure you'll figure this out - we've all had a learning curve :bighug:

5. JaxBenji

If you are still having trouble with your SS, @Bandit's Mom can also help :bighug:

6. Mrs B. Thomas Mom

Yay. I was able to update the spreadsheet.

Liz & Minnie likes this.
  7. Christie & Maverick

Christie & Maverick Well-Known Member

8. Mrs B. Thomas Mom

Just did a +5 test. Meter still shows "hi". Tested myself to be sure it's working. So the accidental 2 units 2 days ago made him bounce this bad? Do I go up to 1.25 for the pm shot? Poor guy. I messed him all up.

9. Mrs B. Thomas Mom

10. Liz & Minnie

Liz & Minnie Well-Known Member

Hi there! I'm not an expert to help but just offering reassurance. I just looked at his s/s and I've seen worse. You're in the right place! You'll get the help you need here. If you don't hear back before PM shot time (but you probably will), you can edit your title to say something like HELP DOSING QUESTION and select the question mark prefix to get attention.

Also, I had to read these stickies a bunch of times before it started to sink in (it still hasn't completely) which give guidance on dosing. But really, you're doing the right thing to post your questions.

You haven't messed him up, stop beating yourself up! You are giving insulin, testing and tracking. All the right things to do. :bighug: We. Have. All. Been. There.

11. Christie & Maverick

Christie & Maverick Well-Known Member

You've had some lower blue preshots on 1u which makes me wonder what he did during the previous cycle. We make dosing decisions based on how low the dose is taking the kitty, which is why trying to get spot checks, even on SLGS is helpful. With Lantus, most kitties will onset (when insulin hits bloodstream and starts to lower BG) around 2-3 hours after shot, and then nadir (the lowest point in the cycle) is often around +6, but it depends on the cat, and how they respond to carbs and insulin. To complicate things, not every cycle will be the same, nadirs can and do move around. Another good reason to get spot checks in, so you get a feel for how your cat responds to insulin.

Based on what I see in you SS so far, I'd hold 1u for the 7 days, then try another curve.

I appreciate he can be a bit feisty per your notes in the SS, but it's really important to know what his BG level is before giving insulin. We also find sometimes many kitties like to go lower at night, so even a spot check before bed helps to fill in some of the missing information.

Looks like he's having a good bounce from hitting 60s. Although those yucky blacks are hard to see, the good news is that bounces usually clear within 6 cycles.

12. Mrs B. Thomas Mom

Updated my signature.

13. Mrs B. Thomas Mom

Thank you all! He's being pretty good today with me poking him. I just got a number finally. +9 ~ 455.

14. Mrs B. Thomas Mom

Thank you. This group has been so wonderful. I totally panicked. His numbers are never that low and knowing I did 2 units by accident I was sure I had killed him. I so appreciate the support :bighug: