3/3 Cargo AMPS 315, 294@+4, 281@+6, PMPS 304

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Mel and Cargo, Mar 3, 2021.

1. Mel and Cargo

Mel and Cargo Member

Yesterday

Morning. Looks like the new vial didn't do the trick. I guess I'll be making a vet appointment. :(:(

2. Hercule's mum

Hercule's mum Well-Known Member

So sorry!:(
    Has Cargo been diagnosed with anything else besides diabetes. Pancreatitis perhaps? If so, could be a flare up that will calm down again? I'll keep my fingers crossed that the vet visit goes well.

Mel and Cargo likes this.
  3. Mel and Cargo

Mel and Cargo Member

Thank you so much! No previous diagnoses. He's generally been very healthy. But there's always a first I suppose...

4. Mel and Cargo

Mel and Cargo Member

Also looks like he's earned a dosage increase since it's been 6 cycles. Any objections to my raising him to 0.75 (increase of 0.25)?

5. Hercule's mum

Hercule's mum Well-Known Member

6. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

If you don’t see green before PMPS I would increase the dose

7. Mel and Cargo

Mel and Cargo Member

Hi Bron! Poor Cargo hasn't been green in a week. Barely even gets blues anymore. I called the vet and they are scheduled out for weeks but are taking walk ins so I'll take him in right when they open tomorrow and hope he gets seen at some point in the day. Not ideal as he truly hates going to the vet and I'm sure his numbers will spike. I'll have them test for pancreatitis. What else should I have them look for?

8. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Get them to look at his teeth. That often is the cause of higher numbers.
    He just might need a bit more insulin to get him back into better numbers

9. Mel and Cargo

Mel and Cargo Member

Awesome, thanks! I forgot about teeth being a potential issue! Are most people on here brushing their cat's teeth regularly? Wondering if this is something I need to put into our routine. I was hoping the food (especially the raw because it has ground up bone in it) was doing the brushing for me.

Regarding needing more insulin - does this commonly happen where a cat is super close to remission and then suddenly jumps up this high? Is this a thing? Or is it always due to an outside issue (teeth, pancreatitis, etc.)? Sorry, that's probably a dumb question that will hopefully be answered tomorrow. Just didn't know if it could happen where super high numbers just come up out of the blue occasionally and I should expect it from time to time.

10. Bron and Sheba (GA)

I don't know how many people clean their cats teeth. A lot get the vet to do it.
    I clean one of my cats teeth every night but I couldn't do the other as she would not tolerate it. It makes a huge difference if you can do it though.
    Bone ground up will not do the job of cleaning. I feed raw bones as well as cleaning and they do help but cleaning them is by far the best way to keep them clean. I find if I leave it a few days...if I have been away, there is a thin slime all over the teeth.

No dumb questions here
    Sometimes when a cat has not had a dose for a few cycles they may need a larger dose to get back to better numbers again. It was a coincidence that it happened to Cargo when he had those skips when you were away, so it could well be just that but best to get the other things checked out.
    It can be due to teeth , pancreatitis etc as well. you just need to go through all the possibilities that could be causing it.
    They shouldn't just come out of the blue for no reason.

11. Mel and Cargo

Mel and Cargo Member

Regarding the larger dose - I'm assuming I still need to inch him up every 6 cycles or so as I've been doing? But I feel like I'm prolonging his discomfort and letting the diabetes win. Yet I'm sure it's not good to just jump up by big increments. Ugh again I'm sorry. Just so frustrated by getting SO CLOSE and having such a huge setback. :banghead::banghead:

12. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Yes, just keep doing what you are doing and you will get to the right dose.

Mel and Cargo likes this.