3/30 Ruby AMPS 104/+3 78/+5 71/+8 77/PMPS 78/+2 87

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Katherine&Ruby, Mar 30, 2021.

1. Katherine&Ruby

Katherine&Ruby Well-Known Member

Yesterday on Ruby Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. :cat:

Question: Today is our 7th day in mostly greens. Do I reduce tomorrow by .25 or are there still too many blues? Ruby skirted the edge of a reduction last night, and that would have been our third drop below 50 anyway.

JOJI and Kit likes this.
  2. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

The blues are just around 100 (from 3/24). I think you should be good for a reduction tomorrow. :)

I'm trying to understand the emojis on your SS. LOL. I presume the green face is a barf? And I got the poop. What are the others? :D

Katherine&Ruby likes this.
  3. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I'd take the reduction. You just have a few low blue blips and it's if the nadirs are mostly green. Surf safely Ruby.

4. Katherine&Ruby

Thanks, Carla!

Thanks, Bhooma. The four leaf clover is for St. Patrick's Day (Irish American holiday) and the others are just silliness. :)

We got the best, most "normal" numbers we've ever had on our third time on .5 units so I'm worried about losing the momentum if we reduce. I am also very curious though to see if Ruby's turned some corner and she's able to sustain the green AM preshots even after reducing to 50% of her current dose. We shall see I suppose!

5. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

You can always wait for the 3rd drop between 40 and 50. Give her more time on this dose. If that will give you some confirmation of sorts. :)

6. Katherine&Ruby

Would love for any reduction to stick. If I can wait for a third drop then I’d like to do that but I don’t want to break with protocol.

7. Marina & Chico

Marina & Chico Well-Known Member

Difficult decision ahead :) If it were Chico we would also prefer to wait a bit more, it would stink to lose momentum :)

8. Katherine&Ruby

We probably won't be waiting for very long for Ruby to go below 50 again as she's been pushing the envelope anyway. Ok, thanks all for helping me think that through.

Marina & Chico likes this.
  9. JOJI and Kit

JOJI and Kit Well-Known Member

good luck w your dosing decision.
    :bighug:

10. Butters & Lyla

Butters & Lyla Well-Known Member

I don't think it breaks with protocol to wait for a third drop below 50. For newly dx'd (ie not long term diabetic) cats that aren't holding reductions well, I remember Wendy saying you could try waiting for 3 drops between 40-50 to reduce. But you'd have to take the full .25u reduction at that point. So you couldn't just shave the dose down.
    Her numbers have been looking great. Whatever you decide to do, good luck!

Bandit's Mom and Katherine&Ruby like this.
  11. Katherine&Ruby

I find the reduction from .5 to .25 to be really tricky as .5 is a 100% increase from .25 and the difference in dose seems to have a big impact on Ruby's numbers. It took her awhile on .5 to respond, but there were other things going on, like the completion of her transition to raw and the changes I made to her supplements that could also be contributing to the better numbers. I think I will wait for the third drop and, in the meantime, hope that her AM preshots continue to come down to be more around the 80s than the upper 90s/low 100s so that when the drop does happen, she will be on better footing with less juice.

Butters & Lyla likes this.
  12. JaxBenji

JaxBenji Well-Known Member

FWIW, I have recently found it interesting to go back and read the original paper on TR (well, the summary at least). Lots to noodle on in there.

Surf safely Ruby :cat:

Butters & Lyla likes this.
  13. Katherine&Ruby

Your link doesn't work, but I think what you're trying to say is that three drops below 50 is part of the protocol? Just reread this, paying particular attention to Phases 3 & 4: http://www.tillydiabetes.net/en_6_protocol2.htm

14. JaxBenji

JaxBenji Well-Known Member

The link is a download of the summary paper - link works on my browser (just had to approve downloads from feline diabetes.com - fwiw, it's the same link from the dosing method sticky in case you want to track it down).

And I was just encouraging the read for food for thought. There's lots of data here on FDMB too but I always liked reading the original protocol too.

15. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Yeah for the poop yesterday morning, I hope you see a green precshot tomorrow morning Katherine, I'll be waiting for that third drop Ruby ♥:bighug::bighug::bighug:

16. Katherine&Ruby

Ruby heard that her sugar auntie Diane was waiting for the poop and that really got her motivated. She doesn't want to disappoint you. :cat::kiss:

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  17. Cherryl & Mouzer

Cherryl & Mouzer Well-Known Member

Wow! Ruby looks REAL good :)

18. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I'd try the reduction. :D A week in primarily greens is a good reduction no matter how long the cat has been diabetic.

19. Katherine&Ruby

Ok, Wendy, I will always defer to your good judgment. Question is, do I do the full .25 or shave it to .375? The drop from .5 to .25 is steep.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2021
  20. Katherine&Ruby

Thanks, Cherryl. I'm grateful to the pandemic for allowing me to stay home and be Ruby's nurse and catservant, otherwise we would never be where we are now.

21. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

TR calls for a full 0.25 unit reduction.

22. Cherryl & Mouzer

Cherryl & Mouzer Well-Known Member

That is one good thing of the pandemic and the only good one I have heard!
    I am glad you got this time too!

23. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

You just crack me up :p