3/9 Apache amps 99 i assume i should stall

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Apache & Ric, Mar 9, 2023.

1. Apache & Ric

Apache & Ric Member

2. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Can you test if you shoot?

Apache & Ric likes this.
  3. Apache & Ric

Apache & Ric Member

Do u mean do I have a meter?

4. Bandit's Mom

No. Will you be able to monitor her blood sugar in the first part of the cycle if you shoot?

Last edited: Mar 9, 2023
  5. Apache & Ric

Apache & Ric Member

6. Bandit's Mom

Then please feed and shoot. Do you have enough strips and high carb food?

Don't fill her up with breakfast. Feed some of it at +1 and +2. Start with a test at +1?

7. Apache & Ric

Apache & Ric Member

I'm sorry. I just can't do it. Seems to me to me numbers are too low. I m probably wrong but it just seems to low from the little experience I have. I will wait an hour and retest

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  8. Bandit's Mom

If you haven't fed, you can test right away and see where she is. It has been 20-30 mins since the first test?
    (Sometimes numbers can fall when stalling without food)

Apache & Ric likes this.
  9. Apache & Ric

Apache & Ric Member

She's at 100

10. Bandit's Mom

Is this without food or after food? She's staying flat.

Apache & Ric likes this.
  11. Apache & Ric

Apache & Ric Member

Haven't fed yet. No food

12. Bandit's Mom

She's staying pretty flat even without food. Are you okay to shoot?

Apache & Ric likes this.
  13. Apache & Ric

Apache & Ric Member

I'm going to wait half hour. If numbers are same I will feed half can . No shot and wait around 6 hours to retest and start cycle. This is what I did in vetsulin situations

14. Bandit's Mom

Lantus is very different from Vetsulin. Lantus gives lovely flat cycles when you shoot low. If you're not comfortable shooting and you've decided to skip, you might as well feed her. She must be hungry? Also stalling without food can sometimes cause numbers to drop.

Apache & Ric likes this.
  15. Apache & Ric

Apache & Ric Member

93 half hour later. I have fed her 1/2 can and will retest in 6 hrs. I'm sorry I just need a few more members to confirm that it's OK to shoot so low. If u are correct ... next time I will shoot on low numbers

16. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Are you following TR or SLGS?

17. Apache & Ric

Apache & Ric Member

I don't know. I'm follow advise most of wendy&Neko so whatever path they have me on

18. tiffmaxee

Apache & Ric likes this.
  19. Apache & Ric

Apache & Ric Member

20. tiffmaxee

Okay. Add that to your signature. It will take 5-7 days for the initial depot to build. It looks like you did shoot this morning according to your spreadsheet. . How late was the shot? That will determine when you shoot tonight. Your comment above indicates you did not shoot. If so delete the 1.5 and put NS. You can then shoot at your normal time tonight. If you shot late you can get back to your shot time 15 minutes each cycle, a total of 30 minutes a day.

With SLGS you can shoot if over 90. Any drop under 90 earns a decrease off .25. Then you hold the new dose for a week unless another reduction is earned by another bg under 90.

Apache & Ric likes this.
  21. Apache & Ric

Apache & Ric Member

I fed but did not shoot

22. Apache & Ric

Apache & Ric Member

That is not what the sticky notes u sent me says.

23. tiffmaxee

Please clarify. Once you have data you can shoot over 90. Put NS in the dose column.

Apache & Ric likes this.
  24. Apache & Ric

Apache & Ric Member

• Below 150 mg/dl (8.3 mmol/L), don't give insulin.
    • Between 150 and 200 (8.3-11.1 mmol/L), you have three options:
      • a.) give nothing
      • b.) give a token dose (10-25% of the usual dose)
      • c.) feed as usual, test in a couple of hours, and make a decision based on that value
    • Above 200 (11.1 mmol/L) but below the cat's normal pre-shot value, a reduced dose might be wise.

25. tiffmaxee

Apache is not a newly diagnosed cat but is new to lantus. It was fine to skip but you will quickly lower your no shot number as you gather data. If too low to shoot again tonight it might turn out to be better to find a dose you can shoot every cycle. Did he have ketones or dka when diagnosed?

Apache & Ric likes this.
  26. Apache & Ric

Apache & Ric Member

3hrs after eating 1/2 can with no shot 136. Fed 1/4 can.

27. Apache & Ric

Apache & Ric Member

She was at 93 at one point last cycle. Doesn't rhat mean I decrease next dose by .25?

28. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

With SLGS you reduce if under 90.

Apache & Ric likes this.
  29. Apache & Ric

Apache & Ric Member

Wouldn't 93 be close enough??? I figured it was . Better safe than sorry

30. Melinda and Kitkat

Melinda and Kitkat Member

Hi Ric, I have been watching your threads over the last few days, and just wanted to offer you a bit of comfort if I can..... Firstly, You have a lot to contend with, with the food allergies, the previous 6 months of Vetsulin, lots of big, fast BG drops, and less than a week here to suss everyone out.... and it is all scary as!:nailbiting:..... (I had it quite easy in comparison, and I found this site soon after diagnosis.)
    Apache is your cat, and you need to ultimately make decisions and be comfortable with these choices, so, for what it is worth to you.... the
    advice you have received just today and the eyes that are looking out for you from Wendy&Neko, Tiffmaxxee, Bandit's Mom, Bron&Sheba..... you can take this to the bank!!! These gurus have so much combined knowledge, and have been here for a long while out of love! ;). I say this to hopefully give you a little bit of peace of mind as you move forward with your new insulin, and a new treatment plan! :bookworm: You are in good hands! :joyful:

31. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

No. It is under 90.
    There is no point in following a dosing method if you are going to change the goal posts:)

32. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Ric can you add SLGS to your signature :cat:

33. Apache & Ric

Apache & Ric Member

I have become extremely hesitant to reply to any posts that include members recommendations. Seems like when i do, i get attacked. I'm also afraid my responses may be taken the wrong way.

34. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Ric, you are new to Lantus. It's OK to be cautious at first. :bighug: Try the 1.25 units for a while and see how it goes. If a person is skipping a shot because they don't feel comfy shooting it, as long as the cat is not ketone prone or recovering from DKA, it's OK to skip. Think of it as experiment. We also suggest that if someone is new and skipping shots, it's better to lower the dose so you can give two shots a day. Again as long as there are no ketones, it's OK to lower the dose so things are less "dramatic:" to start.

Once you get more comfortable with Apache's cycles on Lantus, and that takes some time, you will want to shoot those lower numbers. The lowest shot you have done so far on Lantus is 237. That's a long way from 99. And you are probably still thinking of the Vetsulin way of things. No way you'd shoot that on Vetsulin. Take your time, hopefully Apache will give you a nice high blue sometime to shoot, so you can work your way down to lower preshots. And you will also learn Apache's patterns on Lantus, which will give you the knowledge and ability to shoot lower.

Chrispooky12 and Apache & Ric like this.
  35. Apache & Ric

Apache & Ric Member

I'm getting a meter to test for ketone. I just found out about that when I joined the group. I'm sure I do have the vetsulin fears, Thank you!

Melinda and Kitkat likes this.
  36. Apache & Ric

Apache & Ric Member

so this doesnt apply from sticky note ???
    • Below 150 mg/dl (8.3 mmol/L), don't give insulin.
    • Between 150 and 200 (8.3-11.1 mmol/L), you have three options:
      • a.) give nothing
      • b.) give a token dose (10-25% of the usual dose)
      • c.) feed as usual, test in a couple of hours, and make a decision based on that value
    • Above 200 (11.1 mmol/L) but below the cat's normal pre-shot value, a reduced dose might be wise.

37. tiffmaxee

That is for when new to insulin. Read further though in tge sticky.

Apache & Ric likes this.
  38. tiffmaxee

Keep in mind these are general guidelines, and they should be personalized to your own cat's response to insulin. If your experience is that your cat does not became hypoglycemic with a dose which is close to her usual, then personal experience should be your guide.

With experience, you may find that lowering these thresholds may work well for your cat. When you have reached that stage, the following guidelines are suggested for Lantus, Levemir, and Biosimilars users following the Start Low Go Slow approach:

If the preshot number is far below usual preshot numbers:
    • Do you need to stay on schedule? Then skip the shot.
    • Do you have some flexibility with your schedule? Then stalling to wait for the number to rise might be a good option. Don't feed, retest after 30-60 minutes, and decide if the number is shootable.
    • Repeat until the cat either reaches a number at which you are comfortable shooting, or enough time has passed that skipping the shot is necessary.
    If the preshot number is near kitty's usual preshot numbers:

Look at your data to see what numbers you have shot in the past and decide what would be a safe, shootable number for your cat. Don't feed. Stall until kitty reaches the preshot number you've decided on and then shoot.
    We usually don't suggest or recommend shooting a preshot number less than 90 mg/dL when following the SLGS Method. Remember that with SLGS, generally speaking, your goal is to achieve flat numbers that are greater than 90 mg/dL. However, let experience, data collected, knowledge of your cat, and availability to monitor help in making the best decisions for your cat.

39. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

You might find it helpful to look at other member's posts and spreadsheets. For example, Lando just switched from Vetsulin to Lantus. Try to find some members who are following SLGS and see what their Lantus journey looked like in the beginning. Although Apache is her own sweet self, you will see some similarities that might give you some idea of what to expect.

40. Chrispooky12

Chrispooky12 Well-Known Member

I never used vetsulin started out with NovolinN & didn't know anything about diet & home testing. I changed to prozinc & it worked really well for my boy & then we were just stuck at a dose. So I decided to try Lantus, at first it was alot of high numbers where as your getting lower numbers & I was discouraged but my boy has chronic pancreatitis & UTIs FLUTD which infection raises his numbers. Take a look at his spreadsheet starting at the end of April beginning of May 2022 when we startedLantus. He's had high numbers low numbers & bouncing but with the guidance of the wonderful people here on the forum I stuck with Lantus & I really started watching his numbers & learned him I guess you could say. He has absolutely beautiful numbers now. I remember when I started shooting lower numbers I was scared at first as well but I knew I could test & make sure he was safe by feeding MC or HC if I needed to. Once you get used to seeing him in blues & greens & you know how his cycles look, you will be more comfortable shooting lower numbers & probably be upset when you see yellows. I know I was, now I'm like a blue what I want to see those greens!

41. Apache & Ric

Apache & Ric Member

It's. more reassuring looking at the spreadsheets. I can see the 1.5 injections in green and it actually rises to blue. Total opposite of what im used to

Melinda and Kitkat likes this.